Heterologous expression of the yeast arsenite efflux system ACR3 improves Arabidopsis thaliana tolerance to arsenic stress
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 3, pages 716–723, May 2012
How to Cite
Ali, W., Isner, J.-C., Isayenkov, S. V., Liu, W., Zhao, F.-J. and Maathuis, F. J. M. (2012), Heterologous expression of the yeast arsenite efflux system ACR3 improves Arabidopsis thaliana tolerance to arsenic stress. New Phytologist, 194: 716–723. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04092.x
- Issue online: 10 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2012
- Received: 4 January 2012, Accepted: 31 January 2012
- 2009. Arsenite transport in plants. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 66: 2329–2340. , , , .
- 2006. A novel system for gene silencing using siRNAs in rice leaf and stem-derived protoplasts. Plant Methods 2: 13. , , , , .
- 2008. A subgroup of plant aquaporins facilitates the bidirectional diffusion of As(OH)3 and Sb(OH)3 across membranes. BMC Biology 6: 26–33. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Arsenic in groundwater: a threat to sustainable agriculture in South and South-east Asia. Environment International 35: 647–654. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2011. Expressing ScACR3 in rice enhanced arsenite efflux and reduced arsenic accumulation in rice grains. Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 154–163. , , , , .
- 2010. A vacuolar arsenite transporter necessary for arsenic tolerance in the arsenic hyperaccumulating fern Pteris vittata is missing in flowering plants. Plant Cell 22: 2045–2057. , , , , .
- 2008. The Arabidopsis thaliana aquaglyceroporin AtNIP7;1 is a pathway for arsenite uptake. FEBS Letters 582: 1625–1628. , .
- 2009. NIP1;1, an aquaporin homolog, determines the arsenite sensitivity of Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 284: 2114–2120. , , , , , .
- 2009. The rice aquaporin Lsi1 mediates uptake of methylated arsenic species. Plant Physiology 150: 2071–2080. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Complexation of arsenite with phytochelatins reduces arsenite efflux and translocation from roots to shoots in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 2211–2221. , , , , , .
- 2008. Transporters of arsenite in rice and their role in arsenic accumulation in rice grain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 9931–9935. , , , , , .
- 2011. Vacuolar two pore K+ channels act as vacuolar osmosensors. New Phytologist 191: 84–91. .
- 1998. Cell-marking in Arabidopsis thaliana and its application to patch clamp studies. Plant Journal 15: 843–851. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Acr3p is a plasma membrane antiporter that catalyzes As(III)/H(+) and Sb(III)/H(+) exchange in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1808: 1855–1859. , , .
- 2005. Mechanisms of plant resistance to metal and metalloid ions and potential biotechnological applications. Plant and Soil 274: 163–174. .
- 2002. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in arsenic resistant and nonresistant plant species. New Phytologist 154: 429–432. , .
- 2009. Geographical variation in total and inorganic arsenic content of polished (white) rice. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 1612–1617. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Public health – worldwide occurrences of arsenic in ground water. Science 296: 2143–2145. .
- 2009. Arsenic toxicity to rice (Oryza sativa L.) in Bangladesh. Plant and Soil 317: 31–39. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Plant growth analysis: an evaluation of experimental design and computational methods. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1343–1351. , .
- 2002. Transport and detoxification systems for transition metals, heavy metals and metalloids in eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. Part A. Molecular & Integrative Physiology 133: 689–693. .
- 2006. Methylation of aquaporins in plant plasma membrane. Biochemical Journal 400: 189–197. , , , , , .
- 2010. Arsenic tolerance in Arabidopsis is mediated by two ABCC-type phytochelatin transporters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 21187–21192. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Rice is more efficient in arsenite uptake and translocation than wheat and barley. Plant and Soil 328: 27–34. , , .
- 2007. Arsenic hazards: strategies for tolerance and remediation by plants. Trends in Biotechnology 25: 158–165. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Evaluation of arsenate- and vanadate-associated changes of electrical membrane potential and phosphate transport in Lemna gibba G1. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 119–128. , , .
- 2011. Investigating the contribution of the phosphate transport pathway to arsenic accumulation in rice. Plant Physiology 157: 498–508. , , , , .
- 1997. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae ACR3 gene encodes a putative membrane protein involved in arsenite transport. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 30061–30066. , , .
- 2007. Rapid reduction of arsenate in the medium mediated by plant roots. New Phytologist 176: 590–599. , , .
- 2010b. The role of the rice aquaporin Lsi1 in arsenite efflux from roots. New Phytologist 186: 392–399. , , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Arsenic as a food-chain contaminant: mechanisms of plant uptake and metabolism and mitigation strategies. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 535–559. , , .