Transpiration alters the contribution of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil CO2 efflux
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 3, pages 647–653, May 2012
How to Cite
Grossiord, C., Mareschal, L. and Epron, D. (2012), Transpiration alters the contribution of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist, 194: 647–653. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04102.x
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2012
- Received: 11 January 2012, Accepted: 7 February 2012
- 2009. Root-derived CO2 efflux via xylem stream rivals soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 35–40. , .
- 2005. Post-photosynthetic fractionation of stable carbon isotopes between plant organs – a widespread phenomenon. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 1381–1391. , , , , .
- 2008. Divergence in δ13C of dark respired CO2 and bulk organic matter occurs during the transition between heterotrophy and autotrophy in Phaseolus vulgaris plants. New Phytologist 177: 406–418. , , , , , .
- 2009. Metabolic origin of the δ13C of respired CO2 in roots of Phaseolus vulgaris. New Phytologist 181: 387–399. , , , , , .
- 2007. No diurnal variation in rate or carbon isotope composition of soil respiration in a boreal forest. Tree Physiology 27: 749–756. , , , , .
- 2006. Tree-girdling to separate root and heterotrophic respiration in two Eucalyptus stands in Brazil. Oecologia 148: 447–454. , , , .
- 2004. Contribution of root respiration to soil surface CO2 flux in a boreal black spruce chronosequence. Tree Physiology 24: 1387–1395. , , .
- 2002. Changes with age in the spatial distribution of roots of Eucalyptus clone in Congo. Impact on water and nutrient uptake. Forest Ecology and Management 171: 43–57. , , , , , .
- 1993. Contributions of aboveground litter, belowground litter, and root respiration to total soil respiration in a temperate mixed hardwood forest. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 23: 1402–1407. , , , , .
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Chapter 8: separating autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil respiration: lessons learned from trenching and related root exclusion experiments. In: Kutsch W, Bahn M, Heinemeyer A, eds. Soil carbon flux measurements. An integrated methodology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 562–602. .
- 1999. Soil CO2 efflux in a beech forest: the contribution of root respiration. Annals of Forest Science 56: 289–295. , , , .
- 2001. Seasonal dynamics of soil carbon dioxide efflux and simulated rhizosphere respiration in a beech forest. Tree Physiology 21: 145–152. , , , .
- 2009. Soil carbon dynamics following afforestation of a tropical savannah with Eucalyptus in Congo. Plant and Soil 323: 309–322. , , , , , .
- 2007. Soil DIC uptake and fixation in Pinus taeda seedlings and its C contribution to plant tissues and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Tree Physiology 27: 375–383. , , , .
- 2007. δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short-term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech – evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 1–10. , , .
- 1985. Une nouvelle méthode pour la mesure du flux de sève brute dans le tronc des arbres. Annals of Forest Science 42: 193–200. .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Characterizing the impact of diffusive and advective soil gas transport on the measurement and interpretation of the isotopic signal of soil respiration. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 42: 435–444. , , , , .
- 1958. The concentration and isotopic abundances of atmospheric carbon dioxide in rural areas. Geochimica and Cosmochimica Acta 13: 322–334. .
- 2008. Temporal dynamics of the carbon isotope composition in a Pinus sylvestris stand: from newly assimilated organic carbon to respired carbon dioxide. Oecologia 156: 737–750. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Seasonal dynamics in the stable carbon isotope composition (δ13C) from non-leafy branch, trunk and coarse root CO2 efflux of adult deciduous (Fagus sylvatica) and evergreen (Picea abies) trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 363–373. , , .
- 2006. Sources of CO2 efflux from soil and review of partitioning methods. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 425–448. .
- 2000. Dynamics of biomass and nutrient accumulation in a clonal plantation of Eucalyptus in Congo. Forest Ecology and Management 128: 181–196. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal and annual changes in soil respiration in relation to soil temperature, water potential and trenching. Tree Physiology 24: 415–424. , , .
- 2007. Carbon allocation in forest ecosystems. Global Change Biology 13: 2089–2109. , , .
- 2011. Mineralogical and physico-chemical properties of Ferralic Arenosols derived from unconsolidated Plio-Pleistocenic deposits in the coastal plains of Congo. Geoderma 162: 159–170. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Seasonal and daily time course of the 13C composition in soil CO2 efflux recorded with a tunable diode laser spectrophotometer (TDLS). Plant and Soil 318: 137–151. , , , .
- 2008. Two independent estimations of stand-level root respiration on clonal Eucalyptus stands in Congo: up scaling of direct measurements on roots versus the trenched-plot technique. New Phytologist 177: 676–687. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Relations of sugar composition and δ13C in phloem sap to growth and physiological performance of Eucalyptus globulus (Labill). Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1361–1368. , , , .
- 2005. Estimating the contribution of leaf litter decomposition to soil CO2 efflux in a beech forest using 13C-depleted litter. Global Change Biology 11: 1768–1776. , , , .
- 2007. Estimation of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil respiration by trenching is sensitive to corrections for root decomposition and changes in soil water content. Plant and Soil 301: 99–110. , , , .
- 2012. Age-related changes in litter inputs explain annual trends in soil CO2 effluxes over a full Eucalyptus rotation after afforestation of a tropical savannah. Biogeochemistry. doi: 10.1007/s10533-10011-19685-10539. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Uncertainty in source partitioning using stable isotopes. Oecologia 127: 171–179. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1992. The global carbon dioxide flux in soil respiration and its relationship to vegetation and climate. Tellus 44B: 81–99. , .
- 2006. Trends and methodological impacts in soil CO2 efflux partitioning: a metaanalytical review. Global Change Biology 12: 921–943. , , .
- 2007. Measurement of stem respiration of sycamore (Platanus occidentalis L.) trees involves internal and external fluxes of CO2 and possible transport of CO2 from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 570–579. , .
- 2010. Photosynthetic carbon isotope discrimination and its relationship to the carbon isotope signals of stem, soil and ecosystem respiration. New Phytologist 188: 576–589. , , , , , , , .