Spatial patterns of soil pathogens in declining Mediterranean forests: implications for tree species regeneration
Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 1014–1024, June 2012
How to Cite
Gómez-Aparicio, L., Ibáñez, B., Serrano, M. S., De Vita, P., Ávila, J. M., Pérez-Ramos, I. M., García, L. V., Esperanza Sánchez, M. and Marañón, T. (2012), Spatial patterns of soil pathogens in declining Mediterranean forests: implications for tree species regeneration. New Phytologist, 194: 1014–1024. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04108.x
- Issue online: 2 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2012
- Received: 30 November 2011, Accepted: 6 February 2012
- 2005. Plant pathology, 5th edn. London, UK: Elsevier Academic Press. .
- Anonymous. 2005. PORN/PRUG/PDS Parque Natural Los Alcornocales. Sevilla, Spain: Junta de Andalucía, Consejería de Medio Ambiente.
- 2010. Microbial C, N and P in soils of Mediterranean oak forests: influence of season canopy cover and soil depth. Biogeochemistry 101: 77–92. , , .
- 2009. Ontogenetic shifts in interactions of two dominant shrub species in a semi-arid coastal sand dune system. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 535–546. , .
- 1984. Seedling survival of tropical tree species: interactions of dispersal distance, light gaps and pathogens. Ecology 65: 1705–1712. .
- 1990. Spatial patterns of damping-off disease during seedling recruitment in tropical forests. In: Burton J, Leather S, eds. Pests, pathogens and plant communities. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific, 131–143. .
- 1984. Pathogen mortality of tropical tree seedlings: experimental studies of the effects of dispersal distance, seedling density, and light conditions. Oecologia 61: 211–217. , .
- 2007. Host specificity of pathogenic Pythium species: implications for tree species diversity. Biotropica 39: 702–708. , .
- 2011. Neighbour interactions strengthen with increased soil resources in a northern hardwood forest. Journal of Ecology 99: 1358–1372. , .
- 2008. The nature and properties of soils, 14th edn. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Pearson-Prentice Hall. , .
- 1992. Oak tree mortality in Iberia. Nature 360: 539. .
- 1996. Phytophthora cinnamomi and oak decline in southern Europe: environmental constraints including climate change. Annales des Sciences Forestières 53: 347–358. .
- 1993. Evidence for Phytophthora cinnamomi involvement in Iberian oak decline. Plant Pathology 42: 140–145. , , .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 2008. Phytophthora cinnamomi and Australia’s biodiversity: impacts, predictions and progress towards control. Australian Journal of Botany 56: 279–310. , , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of neighborhood dynamics of forest ecosystems using likelihood methods and modeling. Ecological Applications 16: 62–73. , .
- 2009. Above- versus below-ground competitive effects and responses of a guild of temperate tree species. Journal of Ecology 97: 118–130. , , .
- 2010. Apparent competition in canopy trees determined by pathogen transmission rather than susceptibility. Ecology 91: 327–333. , , .
- 1995. Basic plant pathology methods. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. , .
- 1992. Likelihood, 2nd edn. Baltimore, MD, USA: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1996. Phytophthora diseases worldwide. St Paul, MN, USA: APS Press. , .
- 2002. Spatial soil ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17: 177–183. , .
- 2011. Protected wading bird species threaten relict centennial cork oaks in a Mediterranean Biosphere Reserve: a conservation management conflict. Biological Conservation 144: 764–771. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Particle-size analysis. In: Klute A, ed. Methods in soil analysis, Part 1. Physical and mineralogical methods. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America, 383–409. , .
- 1994. Density and distance to adult effects on canker disease of trees in a moist tropical forest. Oecologia 98: 100–108. , , .
- 1994. Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing. Journal of Econometrics 60: 65–99. , , .
- 2004. Importance of burial and microhabitat on Quercus ilex early recruitment: non-additive effects on multiple demographic processes. Plant Ecology 172: 287–297. .
- 2008. Spatial patterns of recruitment in a Mediterranean tree (Acer opalus subsp. granatense): linking the fate of seeds, seedlings, and saplings in heterogeneous landscapes at different scales. Journal of Ecology 96: 1128–1140. .
- 2008a. Neighborhood models of the effects of the invasive Acer platanoides on tree seedling dynamics: linking impacts on communities and ecosystems. Journal of Ecology 96: 78–90. , , .
- 2008b. Oak seedling survival and growth along resource gradients in Mediterranean forests: implications for regeneration under current and future environmental scenarios. Oikos 117: 1683–1699. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Temperature requirements for the germination of olive seeds (Olea europaea L.). Journal of Horticultural Sciences 62: 405–411. , .
- 1973. Pythiums as plant pathogens. Annual Review of Plant Pathology 11: 77–98. , .
- 2004. The influence of spatial patterns of damping-off disease and arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization on tree seedling establishment in Ghanaian tropical forest soil. Journal of Ecology 92: 816–823. , , .
- 2008. Pathogenicity of Pythium spiculum and Pythium sterilum on feeder roots of Quercus rotundifolia. Plant Pathology 57: 369. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Model selection in ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 101–108. , .
- 2003. Pathogenicity of Swedish isolates of Phytophthora quercina to Quercus robur in two different soils. New Phytologist 158: 355–364. , , , , .
- 1999. Soilborne plant diseases caused by Pythium spp: ecology, epidemiology, and prospects for biological control. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 18: 111–181. , .
- 2011. Disentangling the complex relationships among resources and early plant community recruitment: an experimental approach. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 13: 277–285. , , , .
- 2008. Tolerance of soil pathogens co-varies with shade tolerance across species of tropical tree seedlings. Ecology 89: 1883–1892. , .
- 1999. Biodiversity hotspots in the Mediterranean Basin: setting global conservation priorities. Conservation Biology 13: 1510–1513. , .
- 2009. Susceptibility of Iberian trees to Phytophthora ramorum and P. cinnamomi. Plant Pathology 58: 271–283. , , .
- 2011. Pathogen impacts on plant communities: unifying theory, concepts, and empirical work. Ecological Monographs 81: 429–441. .
- 2007. Direct and interactive effects of enemies and mutualists on plant performance: a meta-analysis. Ecology 88: 1021–1029. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Understory vegetation as a forest ecosystem driver: evidence from the northern Swedish boreal forest. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 8: 421–428. , .
- 2004. Evidence that fungal pathogens inhibit recruitment of a shade-intolerant tree, white birch (Betula papyrifera), in understory habitats. Oecologia 140: 650–653. , .
- 2006. Losses of seeds of temperate trees to soil fungi: effects of habitat and host ecology. Plant Ecology 187: 49–58. , .
- 2000. Plant diversity patterns in the Aljibe Mountains (S. Spain): a comprehensive account. Biodiversity and Conservation 9: 1323–1343. , , .
- 2000. Soil pathogens and spatial patterns of seedling mortality in a temperate tree. Nature 404: 278–281. , .
- 2003. Soil pathogens and Prunus serotina seedling and sapling growth near conspecific trees. Ecology 84: 108–119. , .
- 2006. A new species of Pythium with ornamented oogonia: morphology, taxonomy, ITS region of its rDNA, and its comparison with related species. FEMS Microbiology Letters 254: 317–323. , , , , , .
- 2012. Community-level seedling dynamics in Mediterranean forests: uncoupling between the canopy and the seedling layers. Journal of Vegetation Science. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2011.01365.x. , .
- 2012. Ontogenetic conflicts and rank reversals in two Mediterranean oak species: implications for coexistence. Journal of Ecology 100: 467–477. , , , .
- 2009. Spatial variation in soil-borne disease dynamics of a temperate tree, Prunus serotina. Ecology 90: 2984–2993. , .
- 2010. Canopy gaps decrease microbial densities and disease risk for a shade-intolerant tree species. Acta Oecologica 36: 530–536. , , , .
- 2004. Seedling establishment in Olea europaea: seed size and microhabitat affect growth and survival. Ecoscience 11: 310–320. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Phytophthora ramorum: integrative research and management of an emerging pathogen in California and Oregon forests. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 309–335. , , .
- 2007. New Pythium taxa causing root rot on Mediterranean Quercus species in South-West Spain and Portugal. Journal of Phytopathology 155: 289–295. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Phytophthora disease of Quercus ilex in south-western Spain. Forest Pathology 32: 5–18. , , , .
- 2006. Phytophthora root rot as the main factor of oak decline in southern Spain. In: Brasier C, Jung T, Oßwald W, eds. Progress in research on Phytophthora diseases of forest trees. Farnham, UK: Forest Research, 149–154. , , , , .
- 2012. Calcium fertilizers induce soil suppressiveness to Phytophthora cinnamomi root rot in Quercus ilex. European Journal of Plant Pathology 132: 271–279. , , , .
- 2004. La Seca: el decaimiento de encinas, alcornoques y otros Quercus en España. Madrid, Spain: Ministerio de Medio Ambiente. , .
- 1993. Changes in soil organic matter and net nitrogen mineralization in heathland soils after removal, addition or replacement of litter from Erica tetralix or Molinia caerulea. Biology and Fertility of Soils 15: 268–274. , .
- 2002. Communities and ecosystems: linking the aboveground and belowground components. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1987. The biology of Phytophthora cinnamomi in Australasian forests. Annual Review of Phytopathology 25: 207–229. , .
- 2011. Effects of understory removal and tree girdling on soil microbial community composition and litter decomposition in two Eucalyptus plantations in South China. Functional Ecology 25: 921–931. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Understory vegetation as indicators of soil characteristics in northwest Spain. Forest Ecology and Management 171: 101–111. , .