These authors contributed equally to this work.
Cellular glutathione redox homeostasis plays an important role in the brassinosteroid-induced increase in CO2 assimilation in Cucumis sativus
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 932–943, June 2012
How to Cite
Jiang, Y.-P., Cheng, F., Zhou, Y.-H., Xia, X.-J., Mao, W.-H., Shi, K., Chen, Z. and Yu, J.-Q. (2012), Cellular glutathione redox homeostasis plays an important role in the brassinosteroid-induced increase in CO2 assimilation in Cucumis sativus. New Phytologist, 194: 932–943. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04111.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Received: 26 November 2011, Accepted: 5 February 2012
- 2000. Characterization of brassinazole, a triazole-type brassinosteroid biosynthesis inhibitor. Plant Physiology 123: 93–99. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The influence of the light environment and photosynthesis on oxidative signaling responses in plant-biotrophic pathogen interactions. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1046–1055. , , .
- 1997. Localization of hydrogen peroxide accumulation during the hypersensitive reaction of lettuce cells to Pseudomonas syringae pv phaseolicola. The Plant Cell 9: 209–221. , , , .
- 2005. Redox regulation: a broadening horizon. Annual Review of Plant Biology 56: 187–220. , .
- 2005. A RhoGDP dissociation inhibitor spatially regulates growth in root hair cells. Nature 438: 1013–1016. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Overexpression of DWARF4 in the brassinosteroid biosynthetic pathway results in increased vegetative growth and seed yield in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 26: 573–582. , , , , , .
- 1998. Brassinosteroids: essential regulators of plant growth and development. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 427–451. , .
- 2011. Role of nitric oxide in hydrogen peroxide-dependent induction of abiotic stress tolerance by brassinosteroids in cucumber. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 347–358. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Parallel changes in H2O2 and catalase during thermotolerance induced by salicylic acid or heat acclimation in mustard seedlings. Plant Physiology 116: 1351–1357. , , , .
- 2008. Redox signal integration: from stimulus to networks and genes. Physiologia Plantarum 133: 459–468. .
- 1997. Differential localization of antioxidants in maize leaves. Plant Physiology 114: 1031–1037. , , , .
- 1998. Moderately high temperatures inhibit ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) activase-mediated activation of Rubisco. Plant Physiology 116: 539–546. , , .
- 2005. Photosynthetic redox control of nuclear gene expression. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1491–1498. , , , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Prevention of granulocyte-mediated oxidant lung in rats by a hydroxyl radical scavenger, dimethylthiourea. Journal of Clinical Investigation 74: 1456–1464. .
- 1997. Hydrogen peroxide- and glutathione-associated mechanisms of acclimatory stress tolerance and signalling. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 241–254. , , , .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species as signals that modulate plant stress responses and programmed cell death. BioEssays 28: 1091–1101. , , , , .
- 2002. Changes in the NADPH and glutathione redox mediate bovine coronary artery relaxation to hypoxia. Circulation 106: 495. , , , .
- 1976. Ascorbic acid, metal-ions and the superoxide radical. Biochemistry Journal 155: 697–700. , .
- 1987. The inhibition by diphenyleneiodonium and its analogues of superoxide generation by macrophages. Biochemical Journal 242: 103–107. , .
- 1984. Glutathione redox cycle protects cultured endothelial cells against lysis by extracellularly generated hydrogen peroxide. Journal of Clinical Investigation 73: 706–713. , , , , .
- 1973. Enzymes and functional capacities of mesophyll chloroplasts from plans with C4-pathway photosynthesis. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 159: 842–853. , .
- 1999. Improving the thiobarbituric acid-reactive-substances assay for estimating lipid peroxidation in plant tissues containing anthocyanin and other interfering compounds. Planta 207: 604–611. , , , .
- 2000. Glutathione redox potential modulated by reactive oxygen species regulates translation of Rubisco large subunit in the chloroplast. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 16289–16295. , .
- 1999. Fragmentation of the large subunit of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase by reactive oxygen species occurs near Gly-329. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 5222–5226. , , .
- 2006. Antisense inhibition of Rubisco activase increases Rubisco content and alters the proportion of Rubisco activase in stroma and thylakoids in chloroplasts of rice leaves. Annal of Botany 97: 739–744. , , , .
- 1982. Isolation and purification of ribulose-5-phosphate kinase from Nicotiana glutinosa. In: Edelman M, Hallick KB, Chua NH, eds. Methods in chloroplast molecular biology. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Biomedical Press, 695–705. .
- 1999. Systemic signaling and acclimation in response to excess excitation energy in Arabidopsis. Science 284: 654–657. , , , , , .
- 2000. Twenty years of brassinosteroids: steroidal plant hormones warrant better crops for the XXI century. Annal of Botany 86: 441–447. , , .
- 2009. Brassinosteriods signal transduction from cell-surface receptor kinases to nuclear transcription factors. Nature Cell Biology 11: 1254–1260. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Abiotic stress-induced changes in glutathione and thioredoxin h levels in maize. Environmental and Experimental Botany 52: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 2002. Brassinolide effect on growth of apical meristems, ethylene production, and abscisic acid content in potato tubers. Biologia Plantarum 45: 39–43. , , , .
- 2000. Functional analysis of oxidative stress-activated mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 2940–2945. , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of the nuclear activities of brassinosteroid signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 540–547. .
- 1974. Improved spectrophotometric assay for ribulose-bis-phosphate carboxylase. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 358: 226–229. , .
- 2009. The tomato brassinosteroid receptor BRI1 increases binding of systemin to tobacco plasma membranes, but is not involved in systemin signaling. Plant Molecular Biology 70: 603–616. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of the toxicity of stress-related aldehydes to photosynthesis in chloroplasts. Planta 230: 639–648. , , , .
- 2005. Glutathionylation of chloroplast thioredoxin f is a redox signaling mechanism in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16478–16483. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Redox modulation of Rubisco conformation and activity through its cysteine residues. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1605–1614. , , .
- 2003. Inducers of plant systemic acquired resistance regulate NPR1 function through redox changes. Cell 113: 935–944. , , .
- 2003. Brassinosteroid functions in a broad range of disease resistance in tobacco and rice. Plant Journal 33: 887–898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 388–395. , , .
- 1998. Ascorbate and glutathione: keeping active oxygen under control. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 249–279. , .
- 2008. Brassinosteroids alleviate heat-induced inhibition of photosynthesis by increasing carboxylation efficiency and enhancing antioxidant systems in Lycopersicon esculentum. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 27: 49–57. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hydrogen peroxide acts as a second messenger for the induction of defense genes in tomato plants in response to wounding, systemin, and methyl jasmonate. The Plant Cell 13: 179–191. , , .
- 2009. Enrichment of sugar content in melon fruits by hydrogen peroxide treatment. Journal of Plant Physiology 166: 569–578. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Potential regulation of gene expression in photosynthetic cells by redox and energy state: approaches towards better understanding. Annal of Botany 103: 599–607. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence for chilling-induced oxidative stress in maize seedlings and a regulatory role for hydrogen peroxide. The Plant Cell 6: 65–74. , , , .
- 1995. Ozone exposure decreases UVB sensitivity in a UVB-sensitive flavonoid mutant of Arabidopsis. Photochemistry and Photobiology 61: 71–78. , .
- 1986. Studies on the mechanism of the reductive activation of NADP-malate dehydrogenase by thioredoxin m and low molecular weight thiols. Biochimicaet Biophysica Acta 870: 191–197. , , .
- 2000. Plant thioredoxin systems revisited. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 371–400. , .
- 1997. Subcellular localization of H2O2 in plants: H2O2 accumulation in papillae and hypersensitive response during the barley-powdery mildew interaction. Plant Journal 11: 1187–1194. , , , .
- 2000. Early H2O2 accumulation in mesophyll cells leads to induction of glutathione during the hyper-sensitive response in the barley–powdery mildew interaction. Plant Physiology 123: 1289–1300. , , .
- 2008. Comparative proteomics analysis reveals an intimate protein network provoked by hydrogen peroxide stress in rice seedling leaves. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 7: 1469–1488. , .
- 1997. Catalase is a sink for H2O2 and is indispensable for stress defence in C3 plants. The EMBO Journal 16: 4806–4816. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Sending ROS on a bullet train. Science Signaling 2: pe60. , .
- 2008. Brassinosteroids regulate grain filling in rice. The Plant Cell 20: 2130–2145. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009a. Reactive oxygen species are involved in brassinosteroid-induced stress tolerance in cucumber. Plant Physiology 150: 801–814. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Brassinosteroids promote metabolism of pesticides in cucumber. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 57: 8406–8413. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Induction of systemic stress tolerance by brassinosteroid in Cucumis sativus. New Phytologist 191: 706–720. , , , , , , .
- 2004. A role for brassinosteroids in the regulation of photosynthesis in Cucumis sativus. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1135–1143. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of root exudates of cucumber (Cucumis sativus) and allelochemicals on ion uptake by cucumber seedlings. Journal of Chemical Ecology 23: 817–827. , .
- 2002. Light modulation of Rubisco in Arabidopsis requires a capacity for redox regulation of the larger Rubisco activase isoform. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 3330–3334. , , , .
- 2007. Adaptation of cucurbit species to changes in substrate temperature: root growth, antioxidants, and peroxidation. Journal of Plant Biology 50: 527–532. , , .