Plant stoichiometry at different scales: element concentration patterns reflect environment more than genotype
Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 944–952, June 2012
How to Cite
Ågren, G. I. and Weih, M. (2012), Plant stoichiometry at different scales: element concentration patterns reflect environment more than genotype. New Phytologist, 194: 944–952. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04114.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
- Received: 5 December 2011, Accepted: 8 February 2012
- 2004. The C:N:P stoichiometry of autotrophs: theory and observations. Ecology Letters 7: 185–191. .
- 2008. Stoichiometry and nutrition of plant growth in natural communities. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 39: 153–170. .
- 2001. Patterns made of patterns: variation and covariation of leaf nutrient concentrations within and between populations of Prunus mahaleb. New Phytologist 150: 629–640. , .
- 2003. Developmental and spatial covariation of nutrients in growing leaves of Daphne laureola and their relationships with herbivory. New Phytologist 159: 645–656. , .
- 2010. Leaf nitrogen to phosphorus ratios of tropical trees: experimental assessment of physiological and environmental controls. New Phytologist 185: 770–779. , , .
- 2009. Including intraspecific variability in functional diversity. Ecology 90: 81–89. , , , .
- 2010. Comparative physiology of elemental distributions in plants. Annals of Botany 105: 1081–1102. , .
- 2011. Stoichiogenomics: the evolutionary ecology of macromolecular elemental composition. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 38–44. , , .
- 1988. Nutrition and growth of birch seedlings at varied relative phosphorus addition rates. Physiologia Plantarum 72: 227–235. , .
- 1993. Growth and nutrition of birch seedlings in relation to potassium supply rate. Trees 7: 78–85. , .
- 1995. Growth and nutrition of birch seedlings at varied relative addition rates of magnesium. Tree Physiology 15: 85–93. , .
- 2010. Nitrogen to phosphorus ratio of plant biomass versus soil solution in a tropical pioneer tree, Ficus insipida. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3735–3748. , , , .
- 1978. Multivariate perspectives on the ecology of plant mineral element composition. American Naturalist 112: 533–544. .
- 1993. Growth and nutrition of small Betula pendula plants at different relative addition rates of iron. Trees 8: 31–38. .
- 1994. Growth and nutrition of small Betula pendula plants at different relative addition rates of manganese. Tree Physiology 14: 375–388. .
- 1998. Steady-state nutrition and growth responses of Betula pendula to different relative supply rates of copper. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 937–944. .
- 1999. Growth and nutrition of Betula pendula at different relative supply rates of zinc. Tree Physiology 19: 111–116. .
- 2011. Examining the salt tolerance of willow (Salix spp.) bioenergy species for use on salt-affected agricultural lands. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 91: 509–517. , , , .
- 1994. Database for birch plants at steady-state. Performance of birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) under nonlimiting conditions and under limitation by nitrogen and light. Department of Ecology and Environmental Research Report 75 . Uppsala, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. , , .
- 2004. Terrestrial plants require nutrients in similar proportions. Tree Physiology 24: 447–460. , .
- 2010. Relationships between tree and soil properties in Picea abies and Pinus sylvestris forests in Sweden. Ecosystems 11: 302–316. , , .
- 1989. Multi-element analysis in ecosystems: basic conditions for representative sampling of plant materials. Fresenius’ Zeitschrift für Analytische Chemie 335: 562–565. .
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 178–185. , , , .
- 2001. Principles of plant nutrition. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , .
- 2008. Nutrient stoichiometric relations and biogeochemical niche in coexisting plant species: effect of simulated climate change. Polish Journal of Ecology 56: 613–622. , , , .
- 2002. Ecological stoichiometry – the biology of elements from molecules to the biosphere. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , .
- 1997. A comparative study of leaf nutrient concentrations in a regional herbaceous flora. New Phytologist 136: 679–689. , , , .
- 2007. Evolutionary control of leaf element composition in plants. New Phytologist 174: 516–523. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Delayed growth response of mountain birch seedlings to a decrease in fertilisation and temperature. Functional Ecology 14: 566–572. .
- 2005. Determinants of biomass production in hybrid willows and prediction of field performance from pot studies. Tree Physiology 25: 1197–1206. , .
- 2007. Shoot biomass is related to vertical leaf nitrogen gradient across Salix canopies. Tree Physiology 27: 1551–1559. , .
- 1995. Micronutrient nutrition of plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 14: 49–82. .
- 2005. Assessing the generality of global leaf trait relationships. New Phytologist 166: 485–496. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Leaf element concentrations of terrestrial plants across China are influenced by taxonomy and the environment. Global Ecology and Biogeography. doi :10.1111/j.1466-8238.2011.00729.x. , , , .