Allocation of carbon to fine root compounds and their residence times in a boreal forest depend on root size class and season
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 972–981, June 2012
How to Cite
Keel, S. G., Campbell, C. D., Högberg, M. N., Richter, A., Wild, B., Zhou, X., Hurry, V., Linder, S., Näsholm, T. and Högberg, P. (2012), Allocation of carbon to fine root compounds and their residence times in a boreal forest depend on root size class and season. New Phytologist, 194: 972–981. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04120.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
- Received: 27 November 2011, Accepted: 12 February 2012
- 1980. Annual carbon budget for a young Scots pine. In: Persson T, ed. Structure and function of northern coniferous forests – an ecosystem study. Stockholm, Sweden: Ecological Bulletins 32: 307–313. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Fine root responses of mature deciduous forest trees to free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE). Functional Ecology 23: 913–921. , , .
- 2012. Chronic N deposition alters root respiration–tissue N relationship in northern hardwood forests. Global Change Biology 18: 258–266. , , , , .
- 2010. Incorporation and remobilization of 13C within the fine-root systems of individual Abies alba trees in a temperate coniferous stand. Tree Physiology 30: 1515–1527. , , , .
- 1980. Seasonal changes in starch reserves and growth of fine roots of 20-year old Scots pines. In: Persson T, ed. Structure and function of northern coniferous forests – an ecosystem study. Stockholm, Sweden: Ecological Bulletins 32: 239–250. , .
- 1986. Compartmentation and fluxes of sucrose in intact leaf blades of barley. New Phytologist 103: 645–657. , .
- 2010. Measuring and modeling the spectrum of fine-root turnover times in three forests using isotopes, minirhizotrons, and the Radix model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24: GB3029. doi: 10.1029/2009GB003649. , , , , , .
- 2009. Use of stored carbon reserves in growth of temperate tree roots and leaf buds: analyses using radiocarbon measurements and modeling. Global Change Biology 15: 992–1014. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The age of fine-root carbon in three forests of the eastern United States measured by radiocarbon. Oecologia 129: 420–429. , , , , , .
- 2009. Estimating fine root longevity in a temperate Norway spruce forest using three independent methods. Functional Plant Biology 36: 11–19. , , .
- 2010. Nitrogen cycling and feedbacks in a global dynamic land model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24: GB1001. doi:10.1029/2008GB003336. , , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of root turnover for terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 13–31. , .
- 2006. Short-term changes in carbon isotope composition of soluble carbohydrates and starch: from canopy leaves to the root system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 653–660. , , , , .
- 2008. The lateral spread of tree root systems in boreal forests: estimates based on 15N uptake and distribution of sporocarps of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 75–81. , , , , , , .
- 2008. No stimulation in root production in response to 4 years of in situ CO2 enrichment at the Swiss treeline. Functional Ecology 22: 348–358. , , .
- 1994. Seasonal changes in the utilization and turnover of assimilation products in 8-year-old Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) trees. Trees – Structure and Function 8: 172–182. , .
- 1993. Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 2010. Quantification of effects of season and nitrogen supply on tree belowground carbon transfer to ectomycorrhizal fungi and other soil organisms in boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 187: 485–493. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Carbon allocation between tree root growth and root respiration in boreal pine forest. Oecologia 132: 579–581. , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2006. Fine-root turnover patterns and their relationship to root diameter and soil depth in a 14C-labeled hardwood forest. New Phytologist 172: 523–535. , , , , .
- 2006. 13CO2 pulse-labelling of photoassimilates reveals carbon allocation within and between tree rings. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1571–1584. , , .
- 2007. Rapid mixing between old and new C pools in the canopy of mature forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 963–972. , , , .
- 2006. Canopy CO2 enrichment permits tracing the fate of recently assimilated carbon in a mature deciduous forest. New Phytologist 172: 319–329. , , .
- 2005. Carbon flux and growth in mature deciduous forest trees exposed to elevated CO2. Science 309: 1360–1362. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2 differentiates ecosystem carbon processes: deconvolution analysis of Duke Forest FACE data. Ecological Monographs 71: 357–376. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 1978. Root dynamics in a young Scots pine stand in central Sweden. Oikos 30: 508–519. .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 2009. Preparation of starch and soluble sugars of plant material for the analysis of carbon isotope composition: a comparison of methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2476–2488. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Fine-root mortality rates in a temperate forest: estimates using radiocarbon data and numerical modeling. New Phytologist 184: 387–398. , , , , .
- 2011. Does the age of fine root carbon indicate the age of fine roots in boreal forests? Biogeochemistry 104: 91–102. doi: 10.1007/s10533-010-9485-7. , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of nonstructural carbohydrates and hemicelluloses in young branches of temperate forest trees during bud break. Tree Physiology 29: 901–911. , , , .
- 1966. Seasonal changes in respiration, photosynthesis, and translocation of the 14C labelled products of photosynthesis in young Pinus strobus L. plants. Annals of Botany 30: 81–91. , , , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of ecosystem dynamics, plant geography and terrestrial carbon cycling in the LPJ dynamic global vegetation model. Global Change Biology 9: 161–185. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Irreconcilable differences: fine-root life spans and soil carbon persistence. Science 319: 456–458. , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of abiotic and biotic soil 13CO2 effluxes after in situ13CO2 pulse labelling of a boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 183: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The phloem, a miracle of ingenuity. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 125–149. .
- 2001. Preparation of starch and other carbon fractions from higher plant leaves for stable carbon isotope analysis. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 15: 1136–1140. , , .
- 2010. Contribution of carbon fixed by Rubisco and PEPC to phloem export in the Crassulacean acid metabolism plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 1375–1383. , , , .
- 2010. Ephemeral root modules in Fraxinus mandshurica. New Phytologist 188: 1065–1074. , , .
- 2006. Probabilistic inversion of a terrestrial ecosystem model: analysis of uncertainty in parameter estimation and model prediction. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 20: GB2007 doi: 10.1029/2005gb002468 , , , .
- 2010. Carbon and nitrogen cycle dynamics in the O-CN land surface model: 1. Model description, site-scale evaluation, and sensitivity to parameter estimates. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24: GB1005 doi: 10.1029/2009GB003521. , .
- 2010. Concurrent and lagged impacts of an anomalously warm year on autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil respiration: a deconvolution analysis. New Phytologist 187: 184–198. , , , , , , .