Dysfunction of mitotic cell division at shoot apices triggered severe growth abortion in interspecific hybrids between tetraploid wheat and Aegilops tauschii
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 1143–1154, June 2012
How to Cite
Hatano, H., Mizuno, N., Matsuda, R., Shitsukawa, N., Park, P. and Takumi, S. (2012), Dysfunction of mitotic cell division at shoot apices triggered severe growth abortion in interspecific hybrids between tetraploid wheat and Aegilops tauschii. New Phytologist, 194: 1143–1154. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04125.x
- Issue online: 2 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2012
- Received: 18 November 2011, Accepted: 18 February 2012
- 2010. Natural variation at Strubbelig Receptor Kinase 3 derives immune-triggered incompatibilities between Arabidopsis thaliana accessions. Nature Genetics 42: 1135–1139. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Incremental steps toward incompatibility revealed by Arabidopsis epistatic interactions modulating salicylic acid pathway activation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 334–339. , , , .
- 2003. Reactive electrophile species activate defense gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 34: 205–216. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of hydrogen peroxide accumulation during the hypersensitive reaction of lettuce cells to Pseudomonas syringae pv. Phaseolicola. The Plant Cell 9: 209–221. , , , .
- 2007. Autoimmune response as a mechanism for Dobzhansky–Muller-type incompatibility syndrome in plants. PLoS Biology 5: e236. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Hybrid necrosis: autoimmunity as a potential gene-flow barrier in plant species. Nature Reviews Genetics 8: 382–393. , .
- 2006. Molecular mapping of hybrid necrosis genes Ne1 and Ne2 in hexaploid wheat using microsatellite markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 1374–1381. , , , .
- 1986. How to overcome hybrid necrosis in wheat? Wheat Information Service 61: 27–28. , , .
- 2008. The maternally expressed WRKY transcription factor TTG2 controls lethality in interploidy crossed of Arabidopsis. PLoS Biology 6: e308. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell signaling within the shoot meristem. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 23–30. , .
- 2000. The expression of D-Cyclin genes defines distinct developmental zones in snapdragon apical meristems and is locally regulated by the Cycloidea gene. Plant Physiology 122: 1137–1148. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Genus Triticum L. taxonomy: the present and the future. Plant Systematics and Evolution 295: 1–11. .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis LSD1 gene plays an important role in the regulation of low temperature-dependent cell death. New Phytologist 187: 301–312. , , , , .
- 2011. Rice interspecies hybrids show precocious or delayed developmental transitions in the endosperm without change to the rate of syncytial nuclear division. Plant Journal 65: 798–806. , , , , , .
- 2009. Rin4 causes hybrid necrosis and race-specific resistance in an interspecific lettuce hybrid. The Plant Cell 21: 3368–3378. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Distinct genetic regulation of flowering time and grain-filling period based on empirical study of D genome diversity in synthetic hexaploid wheat lines. Breeding Science 61: 130–141. , , .
- 2008. Genome-wide analysis for identification of salt-responsive genes in common wheat. Functional Integrative Genomics 8: 277–286. , , .
- 1997. Loss-of-function mutations in the maize homeobox gene, knotted1, are defective in shoot meristem maintenance. Development 124: 3045–3054. , , , .
- 2007. AtCDC5 regulates the G2 to M transition of the cell cycle and is critical for the function of Arabidopsis shoot apical meristem. Cell Research 17: 815–828. , , , , , .
- 1996. A member of the KNOTTED class of homeodomain proteins encoded by the STM gene of Arabidopsis. Nature 379: 66–69. , , , .
- 2004. Durum wheat as a candidate for the unknown female progenitor of bread wheat: an empirical study with a highly fertile F1 hybrid with Aegilops tauschii Coss. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 109: 1710–1717. , .
- 2007. Natural variation for fertile triploid F1 formation in allohexaploid wheat speciation. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 115: 509–518. , , .
- 2008. Flowering time diversification and dispersal in central Eurasian wild wheat Aegilops tauschii Coss.: genealogical and ecological framework. PLoS ONE 3: e3138. , , .
- 2002. Cell death processes during expression of hybrid lethality in interspecific F1 hybrid between Nicotiana gossei Domin and Nicotiana tabacum. Plant Physiology 130: 1776–1787. , , , , .
- 2010. Hypersensitive response-like reaction is associated with hybrid necrosis in interspecific crosses between tetraploid wheat and Aegilops tauschii Coss. PLoS ONE 5: e11326. , , , .
- 2011. Autoimmune response and repression of mitotic cell division occur in inter-specific crosses between tetraploid wheat and Aegilops tauschii Coss. that show low temperature-induced hybrid necrosis. Plant Journal 68: 114–128. , , , , .
- 2005. Intragenic diversity and functional conservation of the three homoeologous loci of the KN1-type homeobox gene Wknox1 in common wheat. Plant Molecular Biology 57: 907–924. , , , .
- 2009. Functional conservation of wheat orthologs of maize rough sheath1 and rough sheath2 genes. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 273–285. , , , .
- 1960. Hybrid lethality in crosses between Emmer wheats and Aegilops squarrosa, I. Vitality of F1 hybrids between emmer wheats and Ae. squarrosa var. typica. Seiken Ziho 11: 21–28. .
- 1962a. Hybrid lethality in crosses between Emmer wheats and Aegilops squarrosa, II. Synthesized 6x wheats employed as test varieties. Japanese Journal of Genetics 37: 227–236. .
- 1962b. Hybrid lethality in crosses between Emmer wheats and Aegilops squarrosa, III. Gene analysis of type-2 necrosis. Seiken Ziho 14: 45–50. .
- 2010. Speciation genes in plants. Annals of Botany 106: 439–455. , .
- 2007. Plant speciation. Science 317: 910–914. , .
- 2009. Heterochronic development of the floret meristem determines grain number per spikelet in diploid, tetraploid and hexaploid wheats. Annals of Botany 104: 243–251. , , , .
- 2007. Alteration of respiration capacity and transcript accumulation level of alternative oxidase genes in necrosis lines of common wheat. Genes and Genetic Systems 82: 231–239. , , .
- 2000. Molecular cloning of three homoeologous cDNAs encoding orthologs of maize KNOTTED1 homeobox protein from young spikes of hexaploid wheat. Gene 249: 171–181. , , , , .
- 2009. Expression of morphological and flowering time variation through allopolyploidization: an empirical study with 27 wheat synthetics and their parental Aegilops tauschii accessions. Plant Breeding 128: 585–590. , , , .
- 1970. Necrosis and chlorosis genes in common wheat and its ancestral species. Seiken Ziho 22: 67–75. .
- 2004. Determination of cell fate in apical meristems. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 57–64. .
- 2009. Dosage-dependent deregulation of an AGAMOUS-LIKE gene cluster contributes to interspecific incompatibility. Current Biology 19: 1128–1132. , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ribonucleotide reductases are critical for cell cycle progression, DNA damage repair, and plant development. The Plant Cell 18: 350–365. , .
- 2010. Genetic framework for flattened leaf blade formation in unifacial leaves of Juncus prismatocarpus. The Plant Cell 22: 2145–2155. , , .
- 2010. A mutant CHS3 protein with TIR-NB-LRR-LIM domains modulates growth, cell death and freezing tolerance in a temperature-dependent manner in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 63: 283–296. , , , , , .