These authors contributed equally to this work.
Loss of cytosolic NADP-malic enzyme 2 in Arabidopsis thaliana is associated with enhanced susceptibility to Colletotrichum higginsianum
Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 189–202, July 2012
How to Cite
Voll, L. M., Zell, M. B., Engelsdorf, T., Saur, A., Wheeler, M. G., Drincovich, M. F., Weber, A. P. M. and Maurino, V. G. (2012), Loss of cytosolic NADP-malic enzyme 2 in Arabidopsis thaliana is associated with enhanced susceptibility to Colletotrichum higginsianum. New Phytologist, 195: 189–202. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04129.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
- Received: 19 December 2011, Accepted: 22 February 2012
- 2009. Tocopherol deficiency in transgenic tobacco plants leads to accelerated senescence. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 144–157. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. In planta Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer by infiltration of adult Arabidopsis thaliana plants. C R Academy of Sciences Paris, Life Sciences 316: 1194–1199. , , .
- 2009. A renaissance of elicitors: perception of microbe associated molecular patterns and danger signals by pattern-recognition receptors. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 379–406. , .
- 2010. C4 acid decarboxylases required for C4 photosynthesis are active in the mid-vein of the C3 species Arabidopsis thaliana and are important in sugar and amino acid metabolism. Plant Journal 61: 122–133. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Malate metabolism by NADP-malic enzyme in plant defence. Photosynthesis Research 61: 99–105. , , , .
- 1997. Characteristics and physiological function of NADP-malic enzyme from wheat. Plant Cell Physiology 38: 928–934. , , .
- 2011. Proline dehydrogenase contributes to pathogen defence in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 155: 1947–1959. , , .
- 2007. A flagellin-induced complex of the receptor FLS2 and BAK1 initiates plant defence. Nature 448: 497–500. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A proteomic study of brassinosteroid response in Arabidopsis. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 6: 2058–2071. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. C4 decarboxylases. Different solutions for the same biochemical problem, the provision of CO2 in the bundle sheath cells. In: Raghavendra A, Sage RF, eds. C4 photosynthesis and related CO2 concentrating mechanisms. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 277–300. , , , .
- 2004. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 42: 185–209. , .
- 2007. Alteration of organic acid metabolism in Arabidopsis overexpressing the maize C4 NADP-Malic enzyme causes accelerated senescence during extended darkness. Plant Physiology 145: 640–652. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Plants have a sensitive perception system for the most conserved domain of bacterial flagellin. Plant Journal 18: 265–276. , , , .
- 2009. Identification of domains involved in the allosteric regulation of cytosolic Arabidopsis thaliana NADP-malic enzymes. FEBS Journal 276: 5665–5677. , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis thaliana NADP-malic enzyme isoforms: high percent of identity but well distinct properties. Plant Molecular Biology 67: 231–242. , , , , , .
- 2005. A comprehensive analysis of the NADP-malic enzyme gene family of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 139: 39–51. , , , , , .
- 2004. Camalexin is synthesized from indole-3-acetaldoxime, a key branching point between primary and secondary metabolism in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 8245–8250. , , , .
- 2012. The Ustilago maydis GATA transcripton factor Ncr1 regulates nitrogen utilization and is required for efficient sporidia germination. Eukaryotic Cell 11: 368–380. , , , , .
- 1989. Active oxygen production during a bacteria-induced hypersensitive reaction in tobacco suspension cells. Phytopathology 79: 974–978. , , .
- 2008. High quality metabolomic data for Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Methods 4: 7. , .
- 2007. Expression of an NADP-malic enzyme gene in rice (Oryza sativa L) is induced by environmental stresses; over-expression of the gene in Arabidopsis confers salt and osmotic stress tolerance. Plant Molecular Biology 64: 49–58. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Malate decarboxylases: evolution and roles of NAD(P)-ME isoforms in species performing C4 and C3 photosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3061–3069. , , .
- 2009. Redundancy is sometimes seen only by the uncritical: does Arabidopsis need six malic enzyme isoforms? Plant Science 176: 715–721. , , , .
- 2001. Non-photosynthetic malic enzyme from maize: a constitutively expressed enzyme that responds to plant defence inducers. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 409–420. , , , .
- 2002. Plant infection and the establishment of fungal biotrophy. Trends in Plant Science 7: 352–356. , .
- 2010. Cytosolic NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase contributes to redox homeostasis and the regulation of pathogen responses in Arabidopsis leaves. Plant Cell Environment 33: 1112–1123. , , , , , .
- 2008. The hemibiotrophic lifestyle of Colletotrichum species. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 41–51. , , , , , .
- 2008. The hypersensitive response; the centenary is upon us but how much do we know? Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 501–520. , , , , .
- 2004. RCH1, a locus in Arabidopsis that confers resistance to the hemibiotrophic fungal pathogen Colletotrichum higginsianum. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 749–762. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Salicylic acid induction–deficient mutants of Arabidopsis express PR-2 and PR-5 and accumulate high levels of camalexin after rathogen inoculation. The Plant Cell 11: 1393–1404. , .
- 2006. Metabolic signalling in defence and stress: the central roles of soluble redox couples. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 409–425. .
- 2009. ATTED-II provides coexpressed gene networks for Arabidopsis. Nucleic Acids Research 37: D987–D991. , , , , .
- 2004. A novel Arabidopsis–Colletotrichum pathosystem for the molecular dissection of plant–fungal interactions. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 272–282. , , , , , .
- 2009. Metabolomic analysis reveals a common pattern of metabolic re-programming during invasion of three host plant species by Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Journal 59: 723–737. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Real-Time Quantitative RT-PCR: design, calculations, and statistics. The Plant Cell 21: 1031–1033. , .
- 1995. Primary metabolism in plant defence. Regulation of a bean malic enzyme gene promoter in transgenic tobacco by developmental and environmental cues. Plant Physiology 108: 949–960. , , .
- 2009. Isoenzyme replacement of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in the cytosol improves stress tolerance in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106: 8061–8066. , , , , .
- 2006. Nonhost resistance in Arabidopsis–Colletotrichum interactions acts at the cell periphery and requires actin filament function. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 270–279. , , , , , .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species signaling in response to pathogens. Plant Physiology 141: 373–378. , , .
- 1992. Phytoalexin accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana during the hypersensitive reaction to Pseudomonas syringae pv syringae. Plant Physiology 98: 1304–1309. , , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of a bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) malic-enzyme gene. European Journal of Biochemistry 224: 999–1009. , , .
- 1988. Cinnamyl-alcohol dehydrogenase, a molecular marker specific for lignin synthesis: cDNA cloning and mRNA induction by fungal elicitor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 5546–5550. , , , , .
- 1996. Coordinate regulation of the tryptophan biosynthetic pathway and indolic phytoalexin accumulation in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 8: 2235–2244. , .