Several components of SKP1/Cullin/F-box E3 ubiquitin ligase complex and associated factors play a role in Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 203–216, July 2012
How to Cite
Anand, A., Rojas, C. M., Tang, Y. and Mysore, K. S. (2012), Several components of SKP1/Cullin/F-box E3 ubiquitin ligase complex and associated factors play a role in Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. New Phytologist, 195: 203–216. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04133.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2012
- Received: 21 December 2011, Accepted: 23 February 2012
- 2007a. Arabidopsis VIRE2 interacting protein 2 is required for Agrobacterium T-DNA integration in plants. Plant Cell 19: 1695–1708. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Salicylic acid and systemic acquired resistance play a role in attenuating crown gall disease caused by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Physiology 146: 703–715. , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Identification and characterization of plant genes involved in Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation by virus-induced gene silencing. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 41–52. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Exploitation of eukaryotic ubiquitin signaling pathways by effectors translocated by bacterial type III and type IV secretion systems. PLoS Pathogens 3: e3. , , , .
- 2002. Regulatory role of SGT1 in early R gene-mediated plant defenses. Science 295: 2077–2080. , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of SGT1 in resistance protein accumulation in plant immunity. EMBO Journal 25: 2007–2016. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The RAR1 interactor SGT1, an essential component of R gene-triggered disease resistance. Science 295: 2073–2076. , , , , , .
- 2004. Sgt1 associates with Hsp90: an initial step of assembly of the core kinetochore complex. Molecular and Cellular Biology 24: 8069–8079. , , .
- 2009. Towards understanding the virulence functions of RXLR effectors of the oomycete plant pathogen Phytophthora infestans. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1133–1140. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Phytophthora infestans effector AVR3a is essential for virulence and manipulates plant immunity by stabilizing host E3 ligase CMPG1. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 9909–9914. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Type IV secretion: the Agrobacterium VirB/D4 and related conjugation systems. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1694: 219–234. .
- 1988. The Agrobacterium tumefaciens VirE2 gene product is a single-stranded-DNA-binding protein that associates with T-DNA. Journal of Bacteriology 170: 2659–2667. , , , .
- 2000. Ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis: biological regulation via destruction. BioEssays 22: 442–451. , , .
- 2007. Biological systems of the host cell involved in Agrobacterium infection. Cellular Microbiology 9: 9–20. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Coooperative interaction of Agrobacterium VirE2 protein with single-stranded DNA: implications for the T-DNA transfer process. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 1193–1197. , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 1985. Specific attachment of Agrobacterium tumefaciens to bamboo cells in suspension cultures. Journal of Bacteriology 161: 764–766. , , , .
- 2003. The VirE2 protein of Agrobacterium tumefaciens: the Yin and Yang of T-DNA transfer. FEMS Microbiology Letters 223: 1–6. , .
- 2001. SKP1–SnRK protein kinase interactions mediate proteasomal binding of a plant SCF ubiquitin ligase. EMBO Journal 20: 2742–2756. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The F-box subunit of the SCF E3 complex is encoded by a diverse superfamily of genes in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 11 519–11 524. , , , , .
- 2006. The Agrobacterium VirE3 effector protein: a potential plant transcriptional activator. Nucleic Acids Research 34: 6496–6504. , , .
- 1981. Genetic analysis of crown gall: fine structure map of the T-DNA by site-directed mutagenesis. Cell 27: 143–153. , , , , , .
- 2000. Agrobacterium and plant genes involved in T-DNA transfer and integration. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 223–256. .
- 2003. Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation: the biology behind the “gene-jockeying” tool. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 67: 16–37. .
- 2008. VirE2: a unique ssDNA-compacting molecular machine. PLoS Biology 6: e44. , , , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis SGT1b Is required for SCFTIR1-mediated auxin response. Plant Cell 15: 1310–1319. , , , .
- 2008. A plant pathogen virulence factor inhibits the eukaryotic proteasome by a novel mechanism. Nature 452: 755–758. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. A comparison of virulence determinants in an octopine Ti plasmid, a nopaline Ti plasmid, and an Ri plasmid by complementation analysis of Agrobacterium tumefaciens mutants. Plasmid 3: 195–205. , , , .
- 2003. Cytosolic HSP90 associates with and modulates the Arabidopsis RPM1 disease resistance protein. EMBO Journal 22: 5679–5689. , , , , , , .
- 1999. SGT1 encodes an essential component of the yeast kinetochore assembly pathway and a novel subunit of the SCF ubiquitin ligase complex. Molecular Cell 4: 21–33. , , , , .
- 2008. Structure, function and regulation of plant proteasomes. Biochimie 90: 324–335. , .
- 2006. A case of promiscuity: Agrobacterium’s endless hunt for new partners. Trends in Genetics 22: 29–37. , , , .
- 2005. The VirE3 protein of Agrobacterium mimics a host cell function required for plant genetic transformation. EMBO Journal 24: 428–437. , , , .
- 2004b. Molecular chaperone Hsp90 associates with resistance protein N and its signaling proteins SGT1 and Rar1 to modulate an innate immuneresponse in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 2101–2108. , , , , .
- 2004a. The ASK1 and ASK2 genes are essential for Arabidopsis early development. Plant Cell 16: 5–20. , , , , , , , .
- 2002a. Tobacco Rar1, EDS1 and NPR1/NIMI1 like genes are required for N-mediated resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Journal 30: 415–429. , , , .
- 2002b. Role of SCF ubiquitin-ligase and the COP9 signalosome in the N gene-mediated resistance response to Tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Cell 14: 1483–1496. , , , , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis SKP1-like genes present a spectrum of expression profiles. Plant Molecular Biology 52: 715–727. , , , .
- 2006. The E3 ubiquitin ligase gene family in plants: regulation by degradation. Current Genomics 7: 509–522. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Octopine and nopaline strains of Agrobacterium tumefaciens differ in virulence; molecular characterization of the virF locus. Plant Molecular Biology 14: 249–259. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and plant development. Plant Cell 16: 3181–3195. , , .
- 2000. An Arabidopsis histone H2A mutant is deficient in Agrobacterium T-DNA integration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 948–953. , , .
- 1999. Identification of T-DNA tagged Arabidopsis mutants that are resistant to transformation by Agrobacterium. Molecular and General Genetics 261: 429–438. , , , , , .
- 1996. Early transcription of Agrobacterium T-DNA genes in tobacco and maize. Plant Cell 8: 873–886. , , , .
- 2007. Interaction between SGT1 and cytosolic/nuclear HSC70 chaperones regulates Arabidopsis immune responses. Plant Cell 19: 4061–4076. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. An EDS1 orthologue is required for N-mediated resistance against tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Journal 29: 569–579. , , , , .
- 2010. Exploitation of host polyubiquitination machinery through molecular mimicry by eukaryotic-like bacterial F-box effectors. Frontiers in Microbiology 122: 1–12. , .
- 1993. Transgenic N. glauca plants expressing bacterial virulence gene virF are converted into hosts for nopaline strains of A. tumefaciens. Nature 363: 69–71. , .
- 2003. Protein interaction analysis of SCF ubiquitin E3 ligase subunits from Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 34: 753–767. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of Vir protein translocation from Agrobacterium tumefaciens using Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model: evidence for transport of a novel effector proteinVirE3. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 860–868. , , , , .
- 2001. Interaction of the virulence protein VirF of Agrobacterium tumefaciens with plant homologs of the yeast Skp1 protein. Current Biology 11: 258–262. , , , , , .
- 2001. COP9 signalosome revisited: a novel mediator of protein degradation. Trends in Cell Biology 11: 420–426. , .
- 1999. A novel class of eukaryotic zinc-binding proteins is required for disease resistance signaling in barley and development in C. elegans. Cell 99: 355–366. , , , , , .
- 2003. Complex formation, promiscuity and multi-functionality: protein interactions in disease-resistance pathways. Trends in Plant Science 8: 252–258. , .
- 2010. Role of ubiquitination in plant innate immunity and pathogen virulence. Journal of Plant Biology 53: 10–18. , , , , , .
- 2004. The ubiquitin 26S proteosome proteolytic pathway. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 555–590. , .
- 2009. How microbes utilize host ubiquitination. Cellular Microbiology 11: 1425–1434. , , .
- 2003. The diverse roles of ubiquitin and the 26S proteasome in the life of plants. Nature Reviews Genetics. 4: 948–958. , , .
- 2003. HSP90 interacts with RAR1 and SGT1 and is essential for RPS2-mediated disease resistance in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 11777–11782. , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis SGT1b is required for defense signaling conferred by several downy mildew resistance genes. Plant Cell 14: 993–1003. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Partners-in-infection: host proteins involved in the transformation of plant cells by Agrobacterium. Trends in Cell Biology 12: 121–129. , .
- 2001. VIP1, an Arabidopsis protein that interacts with Agrobacterium VirE2, is involved in VirE2 nuclear import and Agrobacterium infectivity. EMBO Journal 20: 3596–3607. , , .
- 2004. Involvement of targeted proteolysis in plant genetic transformation by Agrobacterium. Nature 431: 87–92. , , .
- 2011. SGT1 contributes to coronatine signaling and Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato disease symptom development in tomato and Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 189: 83–93. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. VirB/D4-dependent protein translocation from Agrobacterium into plant cells. Science 290: 979–982. , , , , , .
- 2005. Positive charge is an important feature of the C-terminal transport signal of the VirB/D4-translocated proteins of Agrobacterium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 832–837. , , , , , .
- 2003. The ubiquitin/26S proteasome pathway, the complex last chapter in the life of many plant proteins. Trends in Plant Science 8: 135–142. .
- 2007. Monitoring in planta bacterial infection at both cellular and whole-plant levels using the green fluorescent protein variant GFPuv. New Phytologist 174: 212–223. , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of the Arabidopsis histone H2A-1 gene correlates with susceptibility to Agrobacterium transformation. Plant Journal 32: 285–298. , , .
- 1988. Association of the virD2 protein with the 5′ end of T strands in Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Journal of Bacteriology 170: 3367–3374. , .
- 2010a. Plant defense pathways subverted by agrobacterium for genetic transformation. Plant Signaling & Behavior 7: 1245–1248. , , , , .
- 2010b. Agrobacterium induces expression of a host F-box protein required for oncogenicity. Cell Host & Microbe 18: 197–209. , , , .
- 2000. The bases of crown gall tumorigenesis. Journal of Bacteriology 182: 3885–3895. , , , , , .
- 2003a. Agrobacterium-mediated root transformation is inhibited by mutation of an Arabidopsis cellulose synthase-like gene. Plant Physiology 133: 1000–1010. , , , , .
- 2003b. Identification of Arabidopsis rat mutants. Plant Physiology 132: 494–505. , , , , , , , , , et al.