Overexpression of MtCAS31 enhances drought tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis by reducing stomatal density
Article first published online: 17 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 124–135, July 2012
How to Cite
Xie, C., Zhang, R., Qu, Y., Miao, Z., Zhang, Y., Shen, X., Wang, T. and Dong, J. (2012), Overexpression of MtCAS31 enhances drought tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis by reducing stomatal density. New Phytologist, 195: 124–135. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04136.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2012
- Received: 19 January 2012, Accepted: 25 February 2012
- 2003. The plant dehydrins: structure and putative functions. Biochemistry 68: 945–951. , , , .
- 2008. A gene expression atlas of the model legume Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 55: 504–513. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Stomatal development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 163–181. , .
- 2004. Detection of protein–protein interactions in plants using bimolecular fluorescence complementation. Plant Journal 40: 419–427. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Overexpression of wheat dehydrin DHN-5 enhances tolerance to salt and osmotic stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Reports 26: 2017–2026. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Detection and subcellular localization of dehydrin-like proteins in quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) embryos. Protoplasma 233: 149–156. , , , , .
- 2010. HHP1, a novel signalling component in the cross-talk between the cold and osmotic signalling pathways in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3305–3320. , , , .
- 2003. ICE1: a regulator of cold-induced transcriptome and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 17: 1043–1054. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cold stress regulation of gene expression in plants. Trends in Plant Science 12: 444–451. , , .
- 2000. A newly identified barley gene, Dhn12, encoding a YSK2 DHN, is located on chromosome 6H and has embryo-specific expression. TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics 100: 1274–1278. , .
- 1999. The barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) dehydrin multigene family: sequences, allele types, chromosome assignments, and expression characteristics of 11 Dhn genes of cv Dicktoo. TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics 98: 1234. , , .
- 1996. Dehydrins: emergence of a biochemical role of a family of plant dehydration proteins. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 795–803. .
- 1997. Dehydrins: a commonalty in the response of plants to dehydration and low temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 291–296. .
- 2005. Genome-wide identification and testing of superior reference genes for transcript normalization in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 139: 5–17. , , , , .
- 2009. Transgenic expression of MYB15 confers enhanced sensitivity to abscisic acid and improved drought tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 36: 17–29. , , , , , .
- 1994. The maize abscisic acid-responsive protein Rab17 is located in the nucleus and interacts with nuclear localization signals. Plant Cell 6: 351–360. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Metal binding by citrus dehydrin with histidine-rich domains. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2695–2703. , , .
- 2001. Characterization and cryoprotective activity of cold-responsive dehydrin from Citrus unshiu. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1333–1339. , , .
- 2002. The calcium-binding activity of a vacuole-associated, dehydrin-like protein is regulated by phosphorylation. Plant Physiology 130: 675–687. , , , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of the acidic dehydrin WCOR410 improves freezing tolerance in transgenic strawberry leaves. Plant Biotechnology Journal 2: 381–387. , , , .
- 2008. LEA (late embryogenesis abundant) proteins and their encoding genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Genomics 9: 118. , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2012. Drought-responsive mechanisms in rice genotypes with contrasting drought tolerance during reproductive stage. Journal of Plant Physiology 169: 336–344. , , , , , , .
- 2008. SCREAM/ICE1 and SCREAM2 specify three cell-state transitional steps leading to Arabidopsis stomatal differentiation. Plant Cell 20: 1775–1785. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Novel plasmodesmata association of dehydrin-like proteins in cold- acclimated red-osier dogwood (Cornus sericea). Tree Physiology 23: 759–767. , , , , , .
- 2009. The K-segment of maize DHN1 mediates binding to anionic phospholipid vesicles and concomitant structural changes. Plant Physiology 150: 1503–1514. , , , , , .
- 2008. Chaperone activity of ERD10 and ERD14, two disordered stress-related plant proteins. Plant Physiology 147: 381–390. , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of an abiotic stress-inducible dehydrin gene, OsDhn1, in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Molecules And Cells 19: 212–218. , , , , , .
- 2009. An expression database for roots of the model legume Medicago truncatula under salt stress. BMC Genomics 10: 517. , , , .
- 2011. Transcriptional profiling of Medicago truncatula under salt stress identified a novel CBF transcription factor MtCBF4 that plays an important role in abiotic stress responses. BMC Plant Biology 11: 109. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The recombinant dehydrin-like desiccation stress protein from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum displays no defined three-dimensional structure in its native state. Biological Chemistry 377: 555–561. , , , .
- 2007. Transcription factor control of asymmetric cell divisions that establish the stomatal lineage. Nature 445: 537–540. , , .
- 2004. Identification of cold-inducible downstream genes of the Arabidopsis DREB1A/CBF3 transcriptional factor using two microarray systems. Plant Journal 38: 982–993. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. SIZ1-mediated sumoylation of ICE1 controls CBF3/DREB1A expression and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 1403–1414. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. SIZ1, a small ubiquitin-related modifier ligase, controls cold signaling through regulation of salicylic acid accumulation. Journal of Plant Physiology 167: 555–560. , .
- 2008. Mimicking the plant cell interior under water stress by macromolecular crowding: disordered dehydrin proteins are highly resistant to structural collapse. Plant Physiology 148: 1925–1937. , , .
- 2003. Identification of a chloroplast dehydrin in leaves of mature plants. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: 535–542. , , .
- 1988. Abscisic acid and water-stress induce the expression of a novel rice gene. EMBO Journal 7: 2279–2286. , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis CBF1 and CBF3 have a different function than CBF2 in cold acclimation and define different gene classes in the CBF regulon. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 21002–21007. , , .
- 2001. Stress-induced accumulation and tissue-specific localization of dehydrins in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 263–279. , , , .
- 2010. Receptor-like kinase OsSIK1 improves drought and salt stress tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa) plants. Plant Journal 62: 316–329. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure of the dehydrin tas14 gene of tomato and its developmental and environmental regulation in transgenic tobacco. Plant Molecular Biology 32: 453–460. , , , , .
- 2008. Comparative genomic sequence and expression analyses of Medicago truncatula and alfalfa subspecies falcata COLD-ACCLIMATION-SPECIFIC genes. Plant Physiology 146: 1242–1254. , , .
- 2007. Termination of asymmetric cell division and differentiation of stomata. Nature 445: 501–505. , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of multiple dehydrin genes enhances tolerance to freezing stress in arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 743–753. , , , , , .
- 2008. Isolation of a novel dehydrin gene from Codonopsis lanceolata and analysis of its response to abiotic stresses. BMB Reports 41: 338–343. , , , , , .
- 2007. Transgenic tobacco plants overexpressing the heterologous lea gene Rab16A from rice during high salt and water deficit display enhanced tolerance to salinity stress. Plant Cell Reports 26: 1839–1859. , , .
- 2010. Diverse accumulation of several dehydrin-like proteins in cauliflower (Brassica oleracea var. Botrytis), Arabidopsis thaliana and yellow lupin (Lupinus luteus) mitochondria under cold and heat stress. BMC Plant Biology 10: 181. .
- 2006. A dehydrin gene in Physcomitrella patens is required for salt and osmotic stress tolerance. Plant Journal 45: 237–249. , , , , , .
- 2009. Improving plant stress tolerance and yield production: is the tonoplast aquaporin SITIP2;2 a key to isohydric to anisohydric conversion? New Phytologist 181: 651–661. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Cell fate transitions during stomatal development. BioEssays 31: 865–873. .
- 2007. Mega4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (mega) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1596–1599. , , , .
- 2002. Multiple sequence alignment using ClustalW and ClustalX. Current Protocols in Bioinformatics. Chapter 2: 1–22. , , .
- 2006. Protein–water and protein–buffer interactions in the aqueous solution of an intrinsically unstructured plant dehydrin: NMR intensity and DSC aspects. Biophysical Journal 91: 2243–2249. , , , , , , .
- 2011. An arginine decarboxylase gene PtADC from Poncirus trifoliata confers abiotic stress tolerance and promotes primary root growth in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2899–2914. , , , , , .
- 2011. A novel Glycine soja tonoplast intrinsic protein gene responds to abiotic stress and depresses salt and dehydration tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Physiology 168: 1241–1248. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The nucleotidase/phosphatase SAL1 is a negative regulator of drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 58: 299–317. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Differential regulation of two dehydrin genes from peach (Prunus persica) by photoperiod, low temperature and water deficit. Tree Physiology 26: 575–584. , , , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis GTL1 transcription factor regulates water use efficiency and drought tolerance by modulating stomatal density via transrepression of SDD1. Plant Cell 22: 4128–4141. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cold induction of Arabidopsis CBF genes involves multiple ICE (inducer of CBF expression) promoter elements and a cold-regulatory circuit that is desensitized by low temperature. Plant Physiology 133: 910–918. , , , .
- 2006. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana using the floral dip method. Nature Protocols 1: 641–646. , , , , .