The Mediator subunit SFR6/MED16 controls defence gene expression mediated by salicylic acid and jasmonate responsive pathways
Version of Record online: 11 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 217–230, July 2012
How to Cite
Wathugala, D. L., Hemsley, P. A., Moffat, C. S., Cremelie, P., Knight, M. R. and Knight, H. (2012), The Mediator subunit SFR6/MED16 controls defence gene expression mediated by salicylic acid and jasmonate responsive pathways. New Phytologist, 195: 217–230. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04138.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 APR 2012
- Received: 16 December 2011, Accepted: 24 February 2012
- Applied Biosystems. 2007. Relative quantitation (RQ) algorithms in Applied Biosystems Real-Time PCR systems software. User bulletin: Applied Biosystems Real-Time PCR systems, Foster City, USA: Applied Biosystems.
- 2007. Purification of a plant Mediator from Arabidopsis thaliana identifies PFT1 as the MED25 subunit. Molecular Cell 26: 717–729. , , , , .
- 2009. Role of plant hormones in plant defence responses. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 473–488. , .
- 2004. Ethylene response factor 1 mediates Arabidopsis resistance to the soilborne fungus Fusarium oxysporum. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 763–770. , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis MAP kinase phosphatase 1 and its target MAP kinases 3 and 6 antagonistically determine UV-B stress tolerance, independent of the UVR8 photoreceptor pathway. Plant Journal 68: 727–737. , , , .
- 2008. Comparative genomics supports a deep evolutionary origin for the large, four-module transcriptional Mediator complex. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 3993–4008. .
- 2003. The sfr6 mutant of Arabidopsis is defective in transcriptional activation via CBF/DREB1 and DREB2 and shows sensitivity to osmotic stress. Plant Journal 34: 395–406. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A role for the GCC-box in jasmonate-mediated activation of the PDF1.2 gene of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 132: 1020–1032. , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of flowering time by light quality. Nature 423: 881–885. , .
- 2002. Potentiation of developmentally regulated plant defense response by AtWRKY18, a pathogen-induced Arabidopsis transcription factor. Plant Physiology 129: 706–716. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2011. Function and regulation of the Mediator complex. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 21: 225–230. , .
- 1994. A central role of salicylic acid in plant disease resistance. Science 266: 1247–1250. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Histone monoubiquitination1 interacts with a subunit of the Mediator complex and regulates defense against necrotrophic fungal pathogens in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 1000–1019. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The Arabidopsis thaliana MED25 mediator subunit integrates environmental cues to control plant development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 8245–8250. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Arabidopsis transcriptional activators CBF1, CBF2, and CBF3 have matching functional activities. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 767–781. , , .
- 1998. Low temperature regulation of the Arabidopsis CBF family of AP2 transcriptional activators as an early step in cold-induced COR gene expression. Plant Journal 16: 433–443. , , , , , .
- 1996. Isolation of Arabidopsis mutants with enhanced disease susceptibility by direct screening. Genetics 143: 973–982. , , .
- 2002. Transcription factor CBF4 is a regulator of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 130: 639–648. , , , , , .
- 2008. Metacaspase-8 modulates programmed cell death induced by ultraviolet light and H2O2 in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 774–783. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Genetic and physical interactions between yeast RGR1 and SIN4 in chromatin organization and transcriptional regulation. Genetics 140: 47–54. , , .
- 2002. Cell numbers and leaf development in Arabidopsis: a functional analysis of the STRUWWELPETER gene. EMBO Journal 21: 6036–6049. , , , .
- 2002. Gateway vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis–Pseudomonas syringae interaction. In: Somerville CR, Meyerowitz EM, eds. The Arabidopsis book. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, e0039–74. , , .
- 2009. The mediator complex subunit PFT1 is a key regulator of jasmonate-dependent defense in Arabdiopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2237–2252. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of SFR6, a key component in cold acclimation acting post-translationally on CBF function. Plant Journal 58: 97–108. , , , , , .
- 2008. SENSITIVE TO FREEZING6 integrates cellular and environmental inputs to the plant circadian clock. Plant Physiology 148: 293–303. , , .
- 1999. The sfr6 mutation in Arabidopsis suppresses low-temperature induction of genes dependent on the CRT/DRE sequence motif. Plant Cell 11: 875–886. , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of transposon insertion mutants highlights the diversity of mechanisms underlying male progamic development in arabidopsis. Genetics 167: 1975–1986. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Yeast global transcriptional regulators SIN4 and RGR1 are components of Mediator complex/RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 10 864–10 868. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1391–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2007. Distinct roles for Mediator CDK8 module subunits in Drosophila development. EMBO Journal 26: 1045–1054. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ethylene response factor1 integrates signals from ethylene and jasmonate pathways in plant defense. Plant Cell 15: 165–178. , , , .
- 2008. Role of salicylic acid in regulating ultraviolet radiation-induced oxidative stress in pepper leaves. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 55: 560–563. , , .
- 1998. The promoter of the plant defensin gene PDF1.2 from Arabidopsis is systemically activated by fungal pathogens and responds to methyl jasmonate but not to salicylic acid. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 1071–1080. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Salicylic acid regulates flowering time and links defence responses and reproductive development. Plant Journal 37: 209–217. , , , .
- 2005. Repressor- and activator-type ethylene response factors functioning in jasmonate signaling and disease resistance identified via a genome-wide screen of Arabidopsis transcription factor gene expression. Plant Physiology 139: 949–959. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cold responses of Arabidopsis mutants impaired in freezing tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1919–1925. , , .
- 2011. Transcription dynamics in plant immunity. Plant Cell 23: 2809–2820. , , .
- 2006. Genome-wide analysis of the ERF gene family in Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Physiology 140: 411–432. , , , .
- 2003. The cDNA microarray analysis using an Arabidopsis PAD3 mutant reveals the expression profiles and classification of genes induced by Alternaria brassicicola attack. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 377–387. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. EDS5, an essential component of salicylic acid-dependent signaling for disease resistance in Arabidopsis, is a member of the MATE transporter family. Plant Cell 14: 275–286. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of ethylene-induced transcription of defense genes. Plant and Cell Physiology 41: 1187–1192. , , .
- 2007. AtERF14, a member of the ERF family of transcription factors, plays a nonredundant role in plant defense. Plant Physiology 143: 400–409. , , , .
- 1996. Characterization of eds1, a mutation in Arabidopsis suppressing resistance to Peronospora parasitica specified by several different rpp genes. Plant Cell 8: 2033–2046. , , , , , .
- 2009. OXI1 protein kinase is required for plant immunity against Pseudomonas syringae in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3727–3735. , , , .
- 2009. Networking by small-molecule hormones in plant immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 308–316. , , , .
- 2008. The AP2/ERF domain transcription factor ORA59 integrates jasmonic acid and ethylene signals in plant defense. Plant Physiology 147: 1347–1357. , , , , , .
- 2004. OXI1 kinase is necessary for oxidative burst-mediated signalling in Arabidopsis. Nature 427: 858–861. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Lights, rhythms, infection: the role of light and the circadian clock in determining the outcome of plant-pathogen interactions. Plant Cell 21: 2546–2552. , .
- 2001. Mutations that reduce sinapoylmalate accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana define loci with diverse roles in phenylpropanoid metabolism. Genetics 159: 1741–1749. , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis gene family encoding DRE/CRT binding proteins involved in low-temperature-responsive gene expression. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 250: 161–170. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The ethylene responsive element binding factor 5, ERF5, is involved in the chitin-induced innate immunity response. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 1: 48–60. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Semidominant mutations in reduced epidermal fluorescence 4 reduce phenylpropanoid content in Arabidopsis. Genetics 178: 2237–2251. , , , .
- 1990. Molecular genetics of cold acclimation in higher plants. Advances in Genetics 28: 99–131. .
- 1999. Plant cold acclimation: freezing tolerance genes and regulatory mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 50: 571–599. .
- 2009. Network properties of robust immunity in plants. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000772. , , , , .
- 1996. Isolation of mutations affecting the development of freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Physiology 111: 1011–1019. , , , .
- 2011. OsSFR6 is a functional orthologue of arabidopsis SENSITIVE TO FREEZING-6 and can act as a regulator of COR gene expression, osmotic stress and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 191: 984–995. , , , .
- 1991. Identification of Pseudomonas syringae pathogens of Arabidopsis and a bacterial locus determining avirulence on both Arabidopsis and soybean. Plant Cell 3: 49–59. , , , .
- 2006. Physical and functional interactions between pathogen-induced Arabidopsis WRKY18, WRKY40, and WRKY60 transcription factors. Plant Cell 18: 1310–1326. , , , .
- 1994. Ultraviolet light and ozone stimulate accumulation of salicylic acid, pathogenesis-related proteins and virus resistance in tobacco. Planta 193: 372–376. , , , .
- 1994. A novel cis-acting element in an Arabidopsis gene is involved in responsiveness to drought, low-temperature, or high-salt stress. Plant Cell 6: 251–264. , .