For better or for worse: cooperation and competition in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis
Version of Record online: 2 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Author. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 4, pages 885–887, June 2012
How to Cite
De Mita, S. (2012), For better or for worse: cooperation and competition in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis. New Phytologist, 194: 885–887. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04148.x
- Issue online: 2 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 MAY 2012
- 2000. Evolution of nitrogen fixation in spatially structured populations of Rhizobium. Heredity 85: 366–372. , .
- 1999. Variation in the effectiveness of symbiotic associations between native rhizobia and temperate Australian Acacia within-species interactions. Journal of Applied Ecology 36: 398–408. , , , , .
- 2000. Legume sanctions and the evolution of symbiotic cooperation by rhizobia. American Naturalist 156: 567–576. .
- 2011. Life histories of symbiotic rhizobia and mycorrhizal fungi. Current Biology 21: R775–R785. , .
- 2012. Widespread fitness alignment in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis. New Phytologist 194: 1096–1111. .
- 2010. Intergenomic epistatis and coevolutionary constraint in plants and rhizobia. Evolution 64: 1446–1458. .
- 1999. The evolution of mutualisms: exploring the paths between conflict and cooperation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 49–53. , , , .
- 1983. Competition of Rhizobium japonicum strains in early stages of soybean nodulation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 46: 870–873. , , , .
- 1992. A Rhizobium meliloti lipopolysaccharide mutant altered in competitiveness for nodulation of alfalfa. Journal of Bacteriology 174: 5941–5952. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The evolution of nodulation in rhizobium: altruism in the rhizosphere. Journal of Heredity 85: 46–47. , .
- 2009. Controlling the reproductive fate of rhizobia: how universal are legume sanctions? New Phytologist 183: 967–979. , , .
- 2011. Measuring the fitness of symbiotic rhizobia. Symbiosis 55: 85–90. , , .
- 1999. Interaction effects between Rhizobium strain and bean cultivar on nodulation, plant growth, biomass partitioning and xylem sap composition. European Journal of Agronomy 11: 131–143. , , , .
- 2004. The evolution of cooperation. Quarterly Review of Biology 79: 135–160. , , , .
- 2006. Pathways to mutualism breakdown. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 585–592. , .
- 2012. Symbiosis specificity in the legume–rhizobial mutualism. Cellular Microbiology 14: 334–342. , , , .