Global patterns of the dynamics of soil carbon and nitrogen stocks following afforestation: a meta-analysis
Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 172–181, July 2012
How to Cite
Li, D., Niu, S. and Luo, Y. (2012), Global patterns of the dynamics of soil carbon and nitrogen stocks following afforestation: a meta-analysis. New Phytologist, 195: 172–181. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04150.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
- Received: 21 January 2012, Accepted: 12 March 2012
- 1998. Changes in soil carbon following afforestation in Hawaii. Ecology 79: 828–833. , .
- 2009. A global meta-analysis of soil exchangeable cations, pH, carbon and nitrogen with afforestation. Ecological Applications 19: 2228–2241. , , .
- 1990. Effects of forest clearing and succession on the carbon and nitrogen content of soils in Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. Plant and Soil 124: 53–64. , .
- 2000. Long-term impacts of agriculture on soil carbon and nitrogen in New England forests. Ecology 81: 2314–2330. , .
- 1991. Above- and belowground organic matter storage and production in a tropical pine plantation and a paired broadleaf secondary forest. Plant and Soil 135: 257–268. , , .
- 1993. Changes in soil carbon inventories following cultivation of previously untilled soils. Biogeochemistry 20: 161–193. , .
- 2006. Nitrogen and sulfur deposition on regional and global scales: a multimodel evaluation. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 20: GB4003. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Impact of tropical land-use change on soil organic carbon stocks – a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 17: 1658–1670. , , .
- 2004. Soil organic carbon and water retention following conversion of grasslands to pine plantations in the Ecuadoran Andes. Ecosystems 7: 729–739. , , .
- 2006. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem processes under elevated CO2 in a warm-temperate forest. Ecology 87: 15–25. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Soil organic C and N pools under long-term pasture management in the Southern Piedmont USA. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 469–478. , , , .
- 1998. Soil carbon changes associated with short-rotation systems. Biomass and Bioenergy 14: 371–377. , .
- 2002. Soil carbon stocks and land use change: a meta analysis. Global Change Biology 8: 345–360. , .
- 2011. Carbon sources and dynamics in afforested and cultivated US Corn Belt soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 75: 216–225. , , , , .
- 2007. Tree species effects on soil organic matter dynamics: the role of soil cation composition. Ecosystems 10: 999–1018. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Geologic nitrogen in terrestrial biogeochemical cycling. Geology 27: 567–570. , .
- 2001. Nitrogen release from rock and soil under simulated field conditions. Chemical Geology 174: 403–414. , , .
- 2003. Forest ecosystem carbon and nitrogen accumulation during the first century after agricultural abandonment. Ecological Applications 13: 299–313. , .
- 2008. A unifying framework for dinitrogen fixation in the terrestrial biosphere. Nature 454: 327–330. , , , .
- 2007. The ecosystem carbon accumulation after conversion of grasslands to pine plantations in subtropical red soil of South China. Tellus B 59: 439–448. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen and climate change. Science 302: 1512–1513. , , , , .
- 2000. The vertical distribution of soil organic carbon and its relation to climate and vegetation. Ecological Applications 10: 423–436. , .
- 2001. The distribution of soil nutrients with depth: global patterns and the imprint of plants. Biogeochemistry 53: 51–77. , .
- 1992. Nitrogen retention in forest soils. Journal of Environmental Quality 21: 1–12. .
- 2004. Forest ecology: a foundation for sustainable forest management and environmental ethics in forestry. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 2008. Observed and modelled soil carbon and nitrogen changes after planting a Pinus radiata stand onto former pasture. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40: 247–257. , , .
- 2002. Mechanisms of plant species impacts on ecosystem nitrogen cycling. Ecology Letters 5: 454–466. , , .
- 2000. Dynamics of soil nitrogen and carbon accumulation for 61 years after agricultural abandonment. Ecology 81: 88–98. , .
- 2010. Carbon accumulation in agricultural soils after afforestation: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 16: 439–453. , , .
- 2004. Soil carbon sequestration to mitigate climate change. Geoderma 123: 1–22. .
- 2005. Forest soils and carbon sequestration. Forest Ecology and Management 220: 242–258. .
- 2006. Soil carbon sequestration under different exotic tree species in the south-western highlands of Ethiopia. Geoderma 136: 886–898. , , , .
- 2006a. Does nitrogen constrain carbon cycling, or does carbon input stimulate nitrogen cycling? Ecology 87: 3–4. , , .
- 2006b. Elevated CO2 stimulates net accumulations of carbon and nitrogen in land ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecology 87: 53–63. , , .
- 2009. Terrestrial carbon-cycle feedback to climate warming: experimental evidence on plant regulation and impacts of biofuel feedstock harvest. Global Change Biology. Bioenergy 1: 62–74. , , , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Changes in soil particulate organic matter, microbial biomass, and activity following afforestation of marginal agricultural lands in a semi-arid area of Northeast China. Environmental Management 46: 110–116. , .
- 2010. Soil organic carbon and nitrogen stocks in an age-sequence of poplar stands planted on marginal agricultural land in Northeast China. Plant and Soil 332: 277–287. , , , , .
- 2002. Soil change and carbon storage in longleaf pine stands planted on marginal agricultural lands. Ecological Applications 12: 1276–1285. , , .
- 2006. The nature and longevity of agricultural impacts on soil carbon and nutrients: a review. Ecosystems 9: 1364–1382. .
- 2007. Contribution of working group III to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. , , , , .
- 2011. Increased forest ecosystem carbon and nitrogen storage from nitrogen rich bedrock. Nature 477: 78–81. , , .
- 2007. Evaluation of carbon accrual in afforested agricultural soils. Global Change Biology 13: 1145–1156. , , , .
- 2002. Change in soil carbon following afforestation. Forest Ecology and Management 168: 241–257. , , , .
- 2011. Temporal dynamics of soil organic carbon after land-use change in the temperate zone – carbon response functions as a model approach. Global Change Biology 17: 2415–2427. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Soil carbon sequestration and land-use change: processes and potential. Global Change Biology 6: 317–327. , .
- 1985. Global patterns of soil nitrogen storage. Nature 317: 613–616. , , , .
- 2011. Geographic bias of field observations of soil carbon stocks with tropical land-use changes precludes spatial extrapolation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 6318–6322. , , , .
- 1997. Responses of N-limited ecosystems to increased CO2: a balanced-nutrition, coupled-element-cycles model. Ecological Applications 7: 444–460. , , .
- 2002. Greater soil carbon sequestration under nitrogen-fixing trees compared with Eucalyptus species. Ecosystems 5: 217–231. , , .
- 1999. Rapid accumulation and turnover of soil carbon in a re-establishing forest. Nature 400: 56–58. , , , .
- 2007. Carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in volcanic soils following afforestation with native birch (Betula pubescens) and introduced larch (Larix sibirica) in Iceland. Plant and Soil 295: 239–251. .
- 2007. Changes in soil carbon and nutrient pools along a chronosequence of poplar plantations in the Columbia Plateau, Oregon, USA. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 122: 325–339. , , , .
- 2001. Global patterns in root decomposition: comparisons of climate and litter quality effects. Oecologia 129: 407–419. , .
- 2002. Measuring and understanding carbon storage in afforested soils by physical fractionation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66: 1981–1987. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The effect of afforestation with Scots pine (Pinus silvestris L.) of sandy post-arable soils on their selected properties. II. Reaction, carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus. Plant and Soil 305: 171–187. , .
- 2000. Plant effects on soil carbon storage and turnover in a montane beech (Nothofagus) forest and adjacent tussock grassland in New Zealand. Soil Research 38: 685–697. , , , , .
- 1982. World patterns and amounts of terrestrial plant litter production. BioScience 32: 125–128. , , .
- 2002. Change in soil organic carbon following afforestation of former arable land. Forest Ecology and Management 169: 137–147. , , .
- 2006. Soil carbon changes following afforestation with olga bay larch (Lariz olgensis Henry) in Northeastern China. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 48: 503–512. , , , , , .
- 2011. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics during forest stand development: a global synthesis. New Phytologist 190: 977–989. , , .
- 2008. Rates of litter decomposition in terrestrial ecosystems: global patterns and controlling factors. Journal of Plant Ecology 1: 85–93. , , , .
- 2007. Effects of Pinus sylvestris var. mongolica afforestation on soil phosphorus status of the Keerqin Sandy Lands in China. Journal of Arid Environments 69: 569–582. , , , , , .