Rising ozone concentrations decrease soybean evapotranspiration and water use efficiency whilst increasing canopy temperature
Article first published online: 23 APR 2012
No claim to original US government works. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 164–171, July 2012
How to Cite
VanLoocke, A., Betzelberger, A. M., Ainsworth, E. A. and Bernacchi, C. J. (2012), Rising ozone concentrations decrease soybean evapotranspiration and water use efficiency whilst increasing canopy temperature. New Phytologist, 195: 164–171. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04152.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2012
- Received: 3 February 2012, Accepted: 12 March 2012
- 2008. Rice production in a changing climate: a meta-analysis of responses to elevated carbon dioxide and elevated ozone concentration. Global Change Biology 14: 1642–1650. .
- 2012. The effects of tropospheric ozone on net primary productivity and implications for climate change. Annual Review of Plant Biology. doi:10.1146/annurev-arplant-042110-103829. , , , , .
- 2003. Source–sink balance and carbon allocation below ground in plants exposed to ozone. New Phytologist 157: 213–228. .
- 1999. Ozone threshold doses and exposure–response relationships for the development of ozone injury symptoms in wild plant species. New Phytologist 144: 423–435. , , .
- 2007. Decreases in stomatal conductance of soybean under open-air elevation of [CO2] are closely coupled with decreases in ecosystem evapotranspiration. Plant Physiology 143: 134–144. , , , , .
- 2006. Hourly and seasonal variation in photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of soybean grown at future CO2 and ozone concentrations for 3 years under fully open-air field conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 2077–2090. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Growth of soybean at midcentury tropospheric ozone concentrations decreases canopy evapotranspiration and soil water depletion. Environmental Pollution 159: 1464–1472. , , , .
- 2005. The growth of soybean under free air [CO2] enrichment (FACE) stimulates photosynthesis while decreasing in vivo Rubisco capacity. Planta 220: 434–446. , , , .
- 2010. Stomata: key players in the earth system, past and present. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 232–239. , , .
- 2010. Effects of chronic elevated ozone concentration on antioxidant capacity, photosynthesis and seed yield of 10 soybean cultivars. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1569–1581. , , , , , .
- 1977. A study of the potential ways in which ozone could reduce root growth and nodulation of soybean. Atmospheric Environment 11: 737–739. , .
- 2005. Responses of sensitive and tolerant bush beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) to ozone in open-top chambers are influenced by phenotypic differences, morphological characteristics, and the chamber environment. Environmental Pollution 136: 371–383. , .
- 2003. Effects of ground-level ozone (O3) pollution on the yields of rice and winter wheat in the Yangtze River Delta. Journal of Environmental Sciences-Amsterdam 15: 360–362. , , , .
- 2010. Differential responses in two varieties of winter wheat to elevated ozone concentration under fully open-air field conditions. Global Change Biology 17: 580–591. , , , , .
- 2005. Crop responses to ozone: uptake, modes of action, carbon assimilation and partitioning. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 997–1011. , , .
- 2012. Influence of atmospheric vapour pressure deficit on ozone responses of snap bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) genotypes. Journal of Experimental Biology. doi:10.1093/jxb/err443 , , , .
- 2010. An investigation of widespread ozone damage to the soybean crop in the upper Midwest determined from ground-based and satellite measurements. Atmospheric Environment 44: 2248–2256. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Ground-level ozone in the 21st century: future trends, impacts and policy implications. London, UK: The Royal Society. .
- 1999. The global exposure of forests to air pollutants. Water, Air & Soil Pollution 116: 5–32. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Direct climate effects of perennial bioenergy crops in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 4307–4312. , , .
- 2010. A comparison of canopy evapotranspiration for maize and two perennial grass species identified as potential bioenergy crops. Global Change Biology – Bioenergy, 2: 157–168. , , , .
- 1986. Radiative surface-temperature and energy-balance of a wheat canopy. 2. Estimating fluxes of sensible and latent-heat. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 36: 107–116. , .
- 1987. Evaluating evaporation from field crops using airborne radiometry and ground-based meteorological data. Irrigation Science 8: 81–90. , , , .
- 2005. Economic assessment of the negative impacts of ozone on crop yields and forest production. A case study of the estate Ostads Sateri in southwestern Sweden. Ambio 34: 32–40. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Free-air CO2 enrichment and soil nitrogen effects on energy balance and evapotranspiration of wheat. Water Resources Research 35: 1179–1190. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of free-air CO2 enrichment on energy-balance and evapotranspiration of cotton. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 259–278. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Productivity and water use of wheat under free-air CO2 enrichment. Global Change Biology 1: 429–442. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Protecting agricultural crops from the effects of tropospheric ozone exposure: reconciling Science and Standard Setting in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Annual Review of Energy and the Environment 26: 237–268. , .
- 1983. Statistical methods in agriculture and experimental biology. London, UK and New York, NY, USA: Chapman and Hall. , .
- 2004. An assessment of storage terms in the surface energy balance of maize and soybean. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 125: 105–115. , .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) of a poplar plantation: the POPFACE fumigation system. New Phytologist 150: 465–476. , , , , , .
- 2003. How does elevated ozone impact soybean? A meta-analysis of photosynthesis, growth and yield. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1317–1328. , , .
- 2004. An in vivo analysis of the effect of season-long open-air elevation of ozone to anticipated 2050 levels on photosynthesis in soybean. Plant Physiology 135: 2348–2357. , , , .
- 2005. Smaller than predicted increase in aboveground net primary production and yield of field-grown soybean under fully open-air [CO2] elevation. Global Change Biology 11: 1856–1865. , , , , .
- 2006. Season-long elevation of ozone concentration to projected 2050 levels under fully open-air conditions substantially decreases the growth and production of soybean. New Phytologist 170: 333–343. , , , , .
- 1997. Modeling the exchanges of energy, water, and carbon between continents and the atmosphere. Science 275: 502–509. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Indirect radiative forcing of climate change through ozone effects on the land carbon sink. Nature 448: 791. , , , .
- 2004. Ozone sensitivity of wild field layer plant species of northern Europe. A review. Plant Ecology 172: 27–39. , , .
- 2004. Free-air CO2 enrichment effects on the energy balance and evapotranspiration of sorghum. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 124: 63–79. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- US EPA. 2006. Air quality criteria and related photochemical oxidants. Washington, DC, USA: US Environmental Protection Agency. EPA/600/R-05/004aFcf, 2006.
- 2009. The global impact of ozone on agricultural crop yields under current and future air quality legislation. Atmospheric Environment 43: 604–618. , , , , , .
- 2010. The impacts of Miscanthus × giganteus production on the Midwest US hydrologic cycle. Global Change Biology – Bioenergy 2: 180–191. , , .
- 2007. Ground-level ozone in China: distribution and effects on crop yields. Environmental Pollution 147: 394–400. , , , .
- 2010. Drought, ozone, ABA and ethylene: new insights from cell to plant to community. Plant Cell & Environment 33: 510–525. , .