Light-responsive metabolite and transcript levels are maintained following a dark-adaptation period in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 136–148, July 2012
How to Cite
Florez-Sarasa, I., Araújo, W. L., Wallström, S. V., Rasmusson, A. G., Fernie, A. R. and Ribas-Carbo, M. (2012), Light-responsive metabolite and transcript levels are maintained following a dark-adaptation period in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 195: 136–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04153.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
- Received: 13 February 2012, Accepted: 12 March 2012
- 2008. Inhibition of 2-oxoglutarate dehydrogenase in potato tuber suggests the enzyme is limiting for respiration and confirms its importance in nitrogen assimilation. Plant Physiology 148: 1782–1796. , , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate metabolism and respiration in leaves of higher plants. In: Leegood RC, Sharkey TD, von Caemmerer S, eds. Photosynthesis: physiology and metabolism. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 153–175. , , , .
- 1998. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 437–443. , , .
- 1997. Leaf respiration in light and darkness: a comparison of slow- and fast-growing Poa species. Plant Physiology 113: 961–965. , , , , .
- 1991. Mass spectrometric determination of O2 and CO2 gas exchange in illuminated higher plant cells. Evidence for light inhibition of substrate decarboxylations. Planta 183: 150–157. , , , , .
- 1983. Effect of photosynthesis and carbohydrate status on respiratory rates and the involvement of the alternative pathway in leaf respiration. Plant Physiology 72: 598–603. , , .
- 1983. Relationship between photosynthesis and respiration. The effect of carbohydrate status on the rate of CO2 production by respiration in darkened and illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 71: 574–581. , .
- 2005. Up-regulation of the mitochondrial alternative oxidase pathway enhances photosynthetic electron transport under drought conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1269–1276. , , , , .
- 2010. Photorespiration: players, partners and origin. Trends in Plant Science 15: 330–336. , , .
- 1990. Pea leaf mitochondrial PDH complex is inactivated in vivo in a light-dependent manner. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 673–676. , .
- 2005. Interaction between photorespiration and respiration in transgenic potato plants with antisense reduction in glycine decarboxylase. Planta 222: 130–140. , , , , .
- 1980. O2 exchange in leaves in the light. Plant Physiology 66: 302–307. , , , , .
- 2003. Reduced expression of aconitase results in an enhanced rate of photosynthesis and marked shifts in carbon partitioning in illuminated leaves of wild species tomato. Plant Physiology 133: 1322–1335. , , , , , .
- 1983. Preferential oxidation of glycine by the respiratory chain of pea leaf mitochondria. FEBS Letters 158: 154–158. , , .
- 2003. Functional mitochondrial complex I is required for optimal photosynthetic performance in photorespiratory conditions and during transients. Plant Physiology 131: 264–275. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mitochondria-driven changes in leaf NAD status exert a crucial influence on the control of nitrate assimilation and the integration of carbon and nitrogen metabolism. Plant Physiology 139: 64–78. , , , , , .
- 2004. Light regulation of the Arabidopsis respiratory chain. Multiple discrete photoreceptor responses contribute to induction of type II NAD(P)H dehydrogenase genes. Plant Physiology 136: 2710–2721. , , , , , .
- 2011. In vivo cytochrome and alternative pathway respiration in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana plants with altered alternative oxidase under different light conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1373–1383. , , , , , .
- 2009. Changes of alternative oxidase activity, capacity and protein content in leaves of Cucumis sativus wild-type and MSC16 mutant grown under different light intensities. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 419–426. , , , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of the cytochrome and alternative pathways to growth respiration and maintenance respiration in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 143–151. , , , , .
- 2011. Respiration and nitrogen assimilation: targeting mitochondria-associated metabolism as a means to enhance nitrogen use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1467–1482. , , .
- 2007. Photosynthetic performance and water relations in young pubescent oak (Quercus pubescens) trees during drought stress and recovery. New Phytologist 174: 799–810. , , .
- 2002. Mitochondrial functions in the light and significance to carbon–nitrogen interactions. In: Foyer CH, Noctor G, eds. Photosynthetic nitrogen assimilation and associated carbon and respiratory metabolism, vol. 12. Dordrect, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 151–172. , , .
- 2006. Integration of metabolite with transcript and enzyme activity profiling during diurnal cycles in Arabidopsis rosettes. Genome Biology 7: R76. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Differential fractionation of oxygen isotopes by cyanide-resistant and cyanide-sensitive respiration in plants. Planta 177: 483–491. , , , .
- 2005. Respiration in photosynthetic cells: gas exchange components, interactions with photorespiration and the operation of mitochondria in the light. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbo M, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem, vol. 18. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration series. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 43–61. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of NAD- and NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenases by reduction levels of pyridine nucleosides in mitochondria and cytosol of pea leaves. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1606: 117–125. , .
- 2001. Photorespiratory flux and mitochondrial contribution to energy and redox balance of barley leaf protoplasts in the light and during light–dark transitions. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1325–1332. , , .
- 2007. Effect of mitochondrial genome rearrangement on respiratory activity, photosynthesis, photorespiration and energy status of MSC16 cucumber (Cucumis sativus) mutant. Physiologia Plantarum 131: 527–541. , , , , , .
- 2005. GMD@CSB.DB: the Golm metabolome database. Bioinformatics 21: 1635–1638. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Mitochondrial contribution to photosynthetic metabolism – a study with barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) leaf protoplasts at different light intensities and CO2 concentrations. Plant Physiology 102: 947–955. , , .
- 2006. Gas chromatography mass spectrometry-based metabolite profiling in plants. Nature Protocols 1: 387–396. , , , , .
- 2009. A redox-mediated modulation of stem bolting in transgenic Nicotiana sylvestris differentially expressing the external mitochondrial NADPH dehydrogenase. Plant Physiology 150: 1248–1259. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Photorespiration: current status and approaches for metabolic engineering. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 248–255. , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis genes encoding mitochondrial type II NAD(P)H dehydrogenases have different evolutionary origin and show distinct responses to light. Plant Physiology 133: 642–652. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mitochondrial redox biology and homeostasis in plants. Trends in Plant Science 12: 125–134. , , .
- 2005. Effects of light intensity and carbohydrate status on leaf and root respiration. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbo M, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem, vol. 18. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration series. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 63–83. .
- 2001. Activities of the cyanide-resistant respiratory pathway in leaves of sun and shade species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 27–35. , , , , .
- 2008. Interaction between photosynthesis and respiration in illuminated leaves. Mitochondrion 8: 87–99. , .
- 2011. Targeting mitochondrial metabolism and machinery as a means to enhance photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 155: 101–107. , , .
- 2007a. Deficiency of mitochondrial fumarase activity in tomato plants impairs photosynthesis via an effect on stomatal function. The Plant Journal 50: 1093–1106. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Enhanced photosynthetic performance and growth as a consequence of decreasing mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase activity in transgenic tomato plants. Plant Physiology 137: 611–622. , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Operation and function of the tricarboxylic acid cycle in the illuminated leaf. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 45–56. , , .
- 2002. Essentiality of mitochondrial oxidative metabolism for photosynthesis: optimization of carbon assimilation and protection against photoinhibition. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 37: 71–119. , , .
- 2007. Photorespiratory and respiratory decarboxylations in leaves of C3 plants under different CO2 concentrations and irradiances. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1535–1544. , , .
- 2010. Succinate dehydrogenase in Arabidopsis thaliana is regulated by light via phytochrome A. FEBS Letters 584: 199–202. , , , .
- 2003. Beneficial interactions of mitochondrial metabolism with photosynthetic carbon assimilation. Trends in Plant Science 8: 546–553. , .
- 2007. Light and diurnal regulation of plant respiratory gene expression. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 57–67. , .
- 1991. Light enhanced dark respiration in mesophyll protoplasts from leaves of pea. Plant Physiology 96: 1368–1371. , , .
- 1997. The regulation of electron partitioning between the cytochrome and alternative pathways in soybean cotyledon and root mitochondria. Plant Physiology 113: 903–911. , , , , , .
- 2005. The application of the oxygen-isotope technique to assess respiratory pathway partitioning. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbo M, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem, vol. 18. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration series. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 31–42. , , .
- 2000. Effects of light on respiration and oxygen isotope fractionation in soybean cotyledons. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 983–989. , , , , , , .
- 2005. GC–MS libraries for the rapid identification of metabolites in complex biological samples. FEBS Letters 579: 1332–1337. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Mitochondrial uncoupling protein is required for efficient photosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 19587–19592. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 2008. Respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves depends on CO2 and O2 conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 797–802. , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex activity in plant cells. European Journal of Biochemistry 270: 1043–1049. , , .
- 2005. Profiling of diurnal patterns of metabolite and transcript abundance in potato (Solanum tuberosum) leaves. Planta 221: 891–903. , , , , , .
- 1996. Interactions between photosynthesis and respiration in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Characterization of light-enhanced dark respiration. Plant Physiology 112: 1005–1014. , , , .
- 2009. Differential gene expression profiles of the mitochondrial respiratory components in illuminated Arabidopsis leaves. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 1449–1462. , .
- 2007. Up-regulation of mitochondrial alternative oxidase concomitant with chloroplast over-reduction by excess light. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 606–614. , , .
- 2011. Distinct responses of the mitochondrial respiratory chain to long- and short-term high-light environments in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 618–628. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Influence of chloroplastic photo-oxidative stress on mitochondrial alternative oxidase capacity and respiratory properties: a case study with Arabidopsis yellow variegated 2. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 592–603. , , , , .
- 2010. Analysis of Arabidopsis with highly reduced levels of malate and fumarate sheds light on the role of these organic acids as storage carbon molecules. Plant Physiology 152: 1251–1262. , , , , , , , , , et al.