Disentangling respiratory acclimation and adaptation to growth temperature by Eucalyptus
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 149–163, July 2012
How to Cite
Kruse, J., Turnbull, T. L. and Adams, M. A. (2012), Disentangling respiratory acclimation and adaptation to growth temperature by Eucalyptus. New Phytologist, 195: 149–163. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04155.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2012
- Received: 7 December 2011, Accepted: 12 March 2012
- 2000. The McCree-de Wit- Penning de Vries-Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 2010. From sunlight to phytomass: on the potential efficiency of converting solar radiation to phyto-energy. New Phytologist 188: 939–959. .
- 2008. Dynamic changes in the mitochondrial electron transport chain underpinning cold acclimation of leaf respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1156–1169. , , , , , , , .
- 2006a. On the developmental dependence of leaf respiration: responses to short- and long-term changes in growth temperature. American Journal of Botany 93: 1633–1639. , , .
- 2006b. Heterogeneity of plant mitochondrial responses underpinning respiratory acclimation to the cold in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 940–949. , , , , .
- 1997. Temperature adaptation and acclimation potential of leaf dark respiration in two species of Ranunculus from warm and cold habitats. Arctic and Alpine Research 29: 122–125. , .
- 1996. The causes of inherently slow growth in alpine plants: an analysis based on the underlying carbon economics of alpine and lowland Poa species. Functional Ecology 10: 698–707. , , .
- 1990. A comparison of the respiratory processes and growth rates of selected Australian Alpine and related lowland plant species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 517–526. , .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration and diurnal variations in temperature: the importance of changes in the capacity and temperature of respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 2006. Phenotypic plasticity and growth temperature: understanding interspecific variability. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 267–281. , , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 1971. Metabolic acclimation to temperature in arctic and alpine ecotypes of Oxyria digyna. Arctic and Alpine Research 3: 277–289. , , , .
- 2003. Rapid temperature acclimation of leaf respiration rates in Quercus alba and Quercus rubra. Tree Physiology 23: 969–976. , , .
- 2007. Evergreen leaf respiration acclimates to long-term nocturnal warming under field conditions. Global Change Biology 13: 1216–1223. , , , .
- 2011. An analytical model of non-photorespiratory CO2 release in the light and dark in leaves of C3 species based on stochiometric flux balance. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 89–112. , .
- 2007. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration is asynchronous in response to changes in temperature regardless of plant functional group. New Phytologist 176: 375–389. , , , , , .
- 2001. Whole-plant gas exchange and reductive biosynthesis in white lupin. Plant Physiology 126: 1555–1565. , , .
- 1990. The effects of low growth and measurement temperature on the respiratory properties of five temperate species. Annals of Botany 65: 533–538. , .
- 2000. Effects of climate on growth traits of river red gum are determined by respiration parameters. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 435–443. , , , , , .
- 1999. Calorimetric methods for analysis of plant metabolism. In: Kemp RB, ed. Handbook of thermal analysis and calorimetry. 4. From macromolecules to man. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 711–763. , .
- 2005. Thermodynamic law for adaptation of plants to environmental temperatures. Pure and Applied Chemistry 77: 1425–1444. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Plant distribution and the temperature coefficient of metabolism. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 233–243. , , , .
- 1997. A respiration based model of plant growth rate responses to temperature. Planta 201: 441–445. , , .
- 2007. Contribution of the cytochrome and alternative pathways to growth respiration and maintenance respiration in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 143–151. , , , , .
- 2003. How positive is the feedback between climate change and the carbon cycle. Tellus 55B: 692–700. , , , .
- 1990. Evolutionary and ecophysiological responses of mountain plants to the growing season environment. Advances in Ecological Research 20: 59–124. , .
- 2007. Changes in respiratory mitochondrial machinery and cytochrome and alternative pathway activities in response to energy demand underlie the acclimation of respiration to elevated CO2 in the invasive Opuntia ficus-indica. Plant Physiology 145: 49–61. , , , .
- 2002. Individual leaf development in Arabidopsis thaliana: a stable thermal-time-based programme. Annals of Botany 89: 595–604. , , , , , .
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. American Naturalist 111: 1169–1194. .
- 2010. Thermal plasticity of photosynthesis: the role of acclimation in forest responses to a warming climate. Global Change Biology 16: 2272–2286. , , , , .
- 2002. Kinetics of plant growth and metabolism. Thermochimica Acta 388: 415–425. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The relation between plant growth and respiration: a thermodynamic model. Planta 194: 77–85. , , , , , .
- 1991. Calorimetric studies of plant physiology. PhD dissertation, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA. .
- 2003. Climate change and Australia: trends, projections and impacts. Austral Ecology 28: 423–443. .
- 1845. Kosmos. Entwurf einer physischen Weltbeschreibung. Neuauflage 2004: Frankfurt am Main, Germany: Eichborn Verlag. .
- 2000. ‘Fire burn and cauldron bubble’ (W. Shakespeare): what the calorimetric-respirometric (CR) ratio does for our understanding of cells? Thermochimica Acta 355: 115–124. .
- 1966. Temperature dependence of the oxidative rates of mitochondria in Danthonia intermedia, Penstemon davidsonii and Sitanion hystrix. Nature 212: 529–530. .
- 2008a. Three parameters comprehensively describe the temperature response of respiratory oxygen reduction. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 954–967. , .
- 2008b. Integrating two physiological approaches helps relate plant respiration to growth of Pinus radiata. New Phytologist 180: 841–852. , .
- 2008. Temperature responses are a window to the physiology of dark respiration: differences between CO2 release and O2 reduction shed light on energy conservation. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 901–914. , , .
- 2011. Steps towards a mechanistic understanding of respiratory temperature responses. New Phytologist 189: 659–677. , , .
- 2004. Maintenance of growth rate at low temperature in rice and wheat cultivars with a high degree of respiratory homeostasis is associated with a high efficiency of respiratory ATP production. Plant Cell Physiology 45: 1015–1022. , , , , .
- 2008. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 2004. Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 34: 283–362. , .
- 1995. Acclimation of leaf dark respiration to temperature in alpine and lowland plant species. Annals of Botany 76: 245–252. , .
- 2005. Acclimation of leaf respiration to temperature is rapid and related to specific leaf area, soluble sugars and leaf nitrogen across three temperate deciduous tree species. Functional Ecology 19: 640–647. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation of leaf and root respiration: an investigation comparing inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Global Change Biology 9: 895–910. , , , , , .
- 2002. Growth temperature influences the underlying components of relative growth rate: an investigation using inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 975–987. , , , , .
- 2002. Application of an enthalpy balance model of the relation between growth and respiration to temperature acclimation of Eucalyptus globulus seedlings. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 269: 1499–1507. , , .
- 2009. Plant mitochondria electron partitioning is independent of short-term temperature changes. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 585–591. , , , .
- 1963. Physiological ecology of coastal, subalpine and alpine populations of Polygonium bistortoides. Ecology 44: 812–816. .
- 2002. Function of the alternative oxidase: is it still a scavenger? Trends in Plant Science 7: 478–481. , , , .
- 2009. Causes and consequences of variation in leaf mass area (LMA): a meta-analysis. New Phytologist 182: 565–588. , , , , .
- 2000. The electron partitioning between the cytochrome and alternative respiratory pathways during chilling recovery in two cultivars of maize differing in chilling sensitivity. Plant Physiology 122: 199–204. , , , , .
- 1969. The influence of growing temperature on photosynthesis and respiration of Pinus radiata seedlings. New Zealand Journal of Botany 7: 43–55. .
- 1988. Participation of the cyanide-resistant pathway in respiration of winter rape leaves as affected by plant cold acclimation. Physiologia Plantarum 73: 299–304. , , .
- 1997. Biogeochemistry – an analysis of global change. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2002. Pflanzenökologie. Heidelberg, Berlin, Germany: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag. , , .
- 2011. Respiratory alternative oxidase responds to both low- and high-temperature stress in Quercus rubra leaves along an urban-rural gradient in New York. Functional Ecology 25: 1007–1017. , , , , , .
- 2010. Leaf respiration and alternative oxidase in field-grown alpine grasses respond to natural changes in temperature and light. New Phytologist 189: 1027–1039. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Seasonal variation of leaf respiration and the alternative pathway in field-grown Populus canadensis. Physiologia Plantarum 141: 332–342. , .
- 2002. A plant for all seasons: alterations in photosynthetic carbon metabolism during cold acclimation in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 199–206. , .
- 2003. Metabolic origin of carbon isotope composition of leaf dark-respired CO2 in French bean. Plant Physiology 131: 237–244. , , , , , .
- 1990. Plant and crop modeling. A mathematical approach to plant and crop physiology. Oxford, UK: Oxford Science Publications. , .
- 1999. Acclimation of respiration to temperature and CO2 in seedlings of boreal tree species in relation to plant size and relative growth rate. Global Change Biology 49: 679–691. , , .
- 2008. Multilevel genomic analysis of the response of transcripts, enzyme activities and metabolites in Arabidopsis rosettes to a progressive decrease of temperature in the non-freezing range. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 518–554. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Alternative oxidase: a target and regulator of stress responses. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 354–361. , , , .
- 2009. Is the maintenance of homeostatic mitochondrial signaling during stress a physiological role for alternative oxidase? Physiologia Plantarum 137: 392–406. , , .
- 1997. Alternative oxidase: from gene to function. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 703–734. , .
- 2007. Lack of respiratory chain complex I impairs alternative oxidase engagement and modulates redox signaling during elicitor-induced cell death in tobacco. The Plant Cell 19: 640–655. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Differential responses to changes in growth temperature between trees from different functional groups and biomes: a review and synthesis of data. Tree Physiology 30: 669–688. , .
- 1999. Evidence for light-stimulated fatty acid synthesis in soybean fruit. Plant Physiology 120: 1117–1127. , , .
- 2006. Seasonal variation in the temperature response of leaf respiration in Quercus rubra: foliage respiration and leaf properties. Functional Ecology 20: 778–789. , .