Senescence-induced iron mobilization in source leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare) plants
Article first published online: 16 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 2, pages 372–383, July 2012
How to Cite
Shi, R., Weber, G., Köster, J., Reza-Hajirezaei, M., Zou, C., Zhang, F. and von Wirén, N. (2012), Senescence-induced iron mobilization in source leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare) plants. New Phytologist, 195: 372–383. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04165.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 16 MAY 2012
- Received: 10 February 2012, Accepted: 28 March 2012
- 2011. Effect of nitrogen on root release of phytosiderophores and root uptake of Fe(III)-phytosiderophore in Fe-deficient wheat plants. Physiologia Plantarum 142: 287–296. , , , , .
- 2008. Identification and characterization of novel senescence-associate genes from barley (Hordeum vulgare) primary leaves. Plant Biology 10: 121–135. , , , .
- 2006. Cloning and characterization of deoxymugineic acid synthase genes from graminaceous plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 32395–32402. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Iron transport, deposition and bioavailability in the wheat and barley grain. Plant and Soil 325: 15–24. , , , .
- 2007. Iron utilization and metabolism in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 276–282. , , .
- 2007. Zinc in plants. New Phytologist 173: 677–702. , , , , .
- 1991. Response of soybean photosynthesis and chloroplast membrane function to canopy development and mutual shading. Plant Physiology 97: 245–252. , .
- 2011. Root exudation of sugars, amino acids, and organic acids by maize as affected by nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and iron deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 174: 3–11. , , , , , .
- 2002. Fe-deficiency increases Cu acquisition by wheat cropped in a Cu-contaminated vineyard soil. New Phytologist 154: 121–130. , , .
- 2009. Metal movement within the plant: contribution of nicotianamine and yellow stripe 1-like transporters. Annals of Botany 103: 1–11. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Maize yellow stripe1 encodes a membrane protein directly involved in Fe(III) uptake. Nature 409: 346–349. , , , , , .
- 2011. Improved nitrogen nutrition enhances root uptake, root-to-shoot translocation and remobilization of zinc (65Zn) in wheat. New Phytologist 189: 438–448. , , , , .
- 2005. Distribution and remobilization of iron and copper in wheat. Annals of Botany 95: 817–826. , .
- 2001. Retranslocation of Zn from leaves as important factor for zinc efficiency of rice genotypes. In: Horst WJ, Schenk MK, Bürkert A, Claassen N, Flessa H, Frommer WB, Goldbach HE, Olfs HW, Römheld V, Sattelmacher B, Schmidhalter U, Schubert S, von Wiren N, Wittenmayer L, eds. Plant nutrition: food security and sustainability of agro-ecosystems. Netherlands: Kluwer, 226–227. , , .
- 2007. Transporters of ligands for essential metal ions in plants. New Phytologist 174: 499–506. , .
- 1999. Isolation, characterization and cDNA cloning of nicotianamine synthase from barley. A key enzyme for iron homeostasis in plants. European Journal of Biochemistry 265: 231–239. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Competition or complementation: the iron-chelating abilities of nicotianamine and phytosiderophores. New Phytologist 164: 204–208. , , , .
- 1996. The role of nicotianamine synthase in response to Fe nutrition status in Gramineae. Plant and Soil 178: 171–177. , , , .
- 1999. Presence of nicotianamine synthase isozymes and their homologues in the root of graminaceous plants. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 45: 681–691. , , , , .
- 2001. Nicotianamine synthase gene expression differs in barley and rice under Fe-deficient conditions. Plant Journal 25: 159–167. , , , , , , .
- 1979. The effects of copper supply and shading on retranslocation of copper from mature wheat leaves. Annals of Botany 43: 449–457. , , .
- 1994. Dry-matter production, mineral nutrient concentrations, and nutrient distribution and redistribution in irrigated spring wheat. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 1289–1308. .
- 2008. Identification and localisation of the rice nicotianamine aminotransferase gene OsNAAT1 expression suggests the site of phytosiderophore synthesis in rice. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 193–203. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Rice metal nicotianamine transporter OsYSL2 is required for the long-distance transport of iron and manganese. Plant Journal 62: 379–390. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Copper binding by the root cell walls of Italian ryegrass and red clover. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 36: 431–439. , , .
- 2004. OsYSL2 is a rice metal-nicotianamine transporter that is regulated by iron and expressed in the phloem. Plant Journal 39: 415–424. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Evaluation of different column types for the hydrophilic interaction chromatographic separation of iron-citrate and copper-histidine species from plants. Journal of Chromatography A 1218: 4934–4943. , , , .
- 2002. A metal-binding member of the late embryogenesis abundant protein family transports iron in the phloem of Ricinus communis L. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 25062–25069. , , , .
- 2002. A novel nucleus-targeted protein is expressed in barley leaves during senescence and pathogen infection. Plant Physiology 130: 1172–1180. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Effect of nitrogen on uptake, remobilization and partitioning of zinc and iron throughout the development of durum wheat. Plant and Soil 342: 149–164. , , .
- 2010. Biofortification of durum wheat with zinc through soil and foliar applications of nitrogen. Cereal Chemistry 87: 1–9. , , , .
- 2005. Mobilization of vacuolar iron by AtNRAMP3 and AtNRAMP4 is essential for seed germination on low iron. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 24: 4041–4051. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Iron fortification of rice seeds through activation of the nicotianamine synthase gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 22014–22019. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Bio-available zinc in rice seeds is increased by activation tagging of nicotianamine synthase. Plant Biotechnology Journal 9: 865–873. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition in higher plants, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1999. Iron acquisition by plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 250–253. .
- 2009. Time course analysis of gene expression over 24 hours in Fe-deficient barley roots. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 621–631. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Copper and iron homeostasis in Arabidopsis: responses to metal deficiencies, interactions and biotechnological applications. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 271–290. , , , .
- 2009. Ferritins control interaction between iron homeostasis and oxidative stress in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 57: 400–412. , , , , , .
- 2011. Metabolite profile changes in xylem sap and leaf extracts of startegy I plants in response to iron deficiency and resupply. Frontiers in Plant Nutrition 2: 66. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The FRD3 citrate effluxer promotes iron nutrition between symplastically disconnected tissues throughout Arabidopsis development. The Plant Cell 23: 2725–2737. , , , , .
- 2004. ZmYS1 functions as a proton-coupled symporter for phytosiderophore- and nicotianamine-chelated metals. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 9091–9096. , , , , , .
- 2005. A putative function for the arabidopsis Fe-phytosiderophore transporter homolog AtYSL2 in Fe and Zn homeostasis. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 762–774. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Influence of long-term nitrogen fertilization on micronutrient density in grain of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Cereal Science 51: 165–170. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Biosynthesis and secretion of mugineic acid family phytosiderophores in zinc-deficient barley. Plant Journal 48: 85–97. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Deoxymugineic acid increases Zn translocation in Zn-deficient rice plants. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 609–617. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of nicotianamine in the intracellular delivery of metals and plant reproductive development. The Plant Cell 15: 1263–1280. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning two genes for nicotianamine aminotransferase, a critical enzyme in iron acquisition (Strategy II) in graminaceous plants. Plant Physiology 121: 947–956. , , , , , .
- 2009. 52Fe translocation in barley as monitored by a positron-emitting tracer imaging system (PETIS): evidence for the direct translocation of Fe from roots to young leaves via phloem. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 48–57. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A NAC gene regulating senescence improves grain protein, zinc and iron content in wheat. Science 314: 1298–1301. , , , , .
- 2002. IRT1, an Arabidopsis transporter essential for iron uptake from the soil and for plant growth. Plant Cell 14: 1223–1233. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mutations in Arabidopsis yellow stripe-like1 and yellow stripe-like3 reveal their roles in metal ion homeostasis and loading of metal ions in seeds. Plant Physiology 141: 1446–1458. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Whole-plant mineral partitioning throughout the life cycle in Arabidopsis thaliana ecotypes Columbia, Landsberg erecta, Cape Verde Islands, and the mutant line ysl1ysl3. New Phytologist 177: 389–405. , .
- 2009. Wheat (Triticum aestivum) NAM proteins regulate the translocation of iron, zinc, and nitrogen compounds from vegetative tissues to grain. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 4263–4274. , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of iron(II)/iron(III) phytosiderophore complexes by nano-electrospray ionization Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 973–980. , , .
- 2005. Agriculture: the real nexus for enhancing bioavailable micronutrients in food crops. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 18: 299–307. , .
- 1999. Nicotianamine chelates both FeII and FeIII Implications for metal transport in plants. Plant Physiology 119: 1107–1114. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Iron inefficiency in the maize mutant ys1 (Zea mays L. cv. yellow-stripe) is caused by a defect in uptake of iron phytosiderophores. Plant Physiology 106: 71–77. , , , .
- 2006. Separation and identification of phytosiderophores and their metal complexes in plants by zwitterionic hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 1136: 73–81. , , , , , .
- 1995. Retranslocation of iron from primary leaves of bean plants grown under iron deficiency. Journal of Plant Physiology 146: 268–272. , , .