Alternative oxidase modulates leaf mitochondrial concentrations of superoxide and nitric oxide
Version of Record online: 26 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 32–39, July 2012
How to Cite
Cvetkovska, M. and Vanlerberghe, G. C. (2012), Alternative oxidase modulates leaf mitochondrial concentrations of superoxide and nitric oxide. New Phytologist, 195: 32–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04166.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 APR 2012
- Received: 23 February 2012, Accepted: 29 March 2012
- 2006. Changes in plant mitochondrial electron transport alter cellular levels of reactive oxygen species and susceptibility to cell death signaling molecules. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 1509–1519. , , , .
- 2007. The role of the mitochondrion in plant responses to biotic stress. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 253–266. , , .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. , .
- 2011. The language of nitric oxide signaling. Plant Biology 13: 233–242. .
- 2006. A guided tour into subcellular colocalization analysis in light microscopy. Journal of Microscopy 224: 213–232. , .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. The Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular distinction between alternative oxidase from monocots and dicots. Plant Physiology 129: 949–953. , , , , .
- 2012. Coordination of a mitochondrial superoxide burst during the hypersensitive response to bacterial pathogen in Nicotiana tabacum. Plant, Cell and Environment 35: 1121–1136. , .
- 2004. Alternative mitochondrial electron transport proteins in plants. In: Day DA, Millar AH, Whelan J, eds. Plant mitochondria: from genome to function. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 163–230. , , .
- 2005. Redox homeostasis and antioxidant signaling: a metabolic interface between stress perception and physiological responses. The Plant Cell 17: 1866–1875. , .
- 2008. The absence of ALTERNATIVE OXIDASE1a in Arabidopsis results in acute sensitivity to combined light and drought stress. Plant Physiology 147: 595–610. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. On the origins of nitric oxide. Trends in Plant Science 16: 160–168. , , , .
- 2011. The emerging roles of nitric oxide (NO) in plant mitochondria. Plant Science 181: 520–526. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. In higher plants, only root mitochondria, but not leaf mitochondria reduce nitrite to NO, in vitro and in situ. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2601–2609. , , .
- 2005. Partitioning of respiratory electrons in the dark in leaves of transgenic tobacco with modified levels of alternative oxidase. Physiologia Plantarum 125: 171–180. , .
- 1999. Dihydrofluorescein diacetate is superior for detecting intracellular oxidants: comparison with 2′7′-dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate, 5 (and 6)-carboxy 2′7′-dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate, and dihydrorhodamine 123. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 27: 146–159. , , , , .
- 2010. Anoxic nitric oxide cycling in plants: participating reactions and possible mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 138: 393–404. , , , .
- 1990. Hydrogen peroxide production during experimental protein glycation. FEBS Letters 268: 69–71. , , .
- 1999. Fluorescent indicators for imaging nitric oxide production. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 38: 3209–3212. , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrite reductase activity is a novel function of mammalian mitochondria. FEBS Letters 454: 127–130. , , .
- 1999. The alternative oxidase lowers mitochondrial reactive oxygen production in plant cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 96: 8271–8276. , , .
- 2011. ROS signaling: the new wave? Trends in Plant Science 16: 300–309. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nitrite as the major source of nitric oxide production by Arabidopsis thaliana in response to Pseudomonas syringae. FEBS Letters 579: 3814–3820. , , , , .
- 2001. Plant mitochondria and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 2010. NO synthesis and signaling in plants – where do we stand? Physiologia Plantarum 138: 372–383. , , , .
- 2004. Complex III releases superoxide to both sides of the inner mitochondrial membrane. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 49064–49073. , , .
- 1994. Nitric oxide assay using haemoglobin method. Methods in Enzymology 233: 240–250. , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide degradation by potato tuber mitochondria: evidence for the involvement of external NAD(P)H dehydrogenases. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1777: 470–476. , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of plant glycine decarboxylase by S-nitrosylation and glutathionylation. Plant Physiology 152: 1514–1528. , , , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide emission from tobacco leaves and cell suspensions: rate limiting factors and evidence for the involvement of mitochondrial electron transport. The Plant Journal 41: 732–743. , , , .
- 2009. Mitochondrial generation of free radicals and hypoxic signaling. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 20: 332–340. , , .
- 1993. Does the alternative pathway ameliorate chilling injury in sensitive plant tissues? Physiologia Plantarum 88: 712–718. , .
- 2008. The selective detection of mitochondrial superoxide by live cell imaging. Nature Protocols 3: 941–947. , , .
- 2003. Development of novel fluorescence probes that can reliably detect reactive oxygen species and distinguish specific species. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 3170–3175. , , , , .
- 2004. Mitochondrial electron transport as a source for nitric oxide in the unicellular green alga Chlorella sorokiniana. FEBS Letters 576: 151–155. , , .
- 2009. Is the maintainence of homeostatic mitochondrial signaling during stress a physiological role for alternative oxidase? Physiologia Plantarum 137: 392–406. , , .
- 1994. Molecular genetic alteration of plant respiration: silencing and overexpression of alternative oxidase in transgenic tobacco. Plant Physiology 106: 1503–1510. , , .
- 2007. Lack of respiratory chain complex I impairs alternative oxidase engagement and modulates redox signaling during elicitor-induced cell death in tobacco. The Plant Cell 19: 640–655. , , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Hydrogen peroxide-mediated activation of MAP kinase 6 modulates nitric oxide biosynthesis and signal transduction in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 22: 2981–2998. , , , , .
- 2011. Impact of mitochondrial alternative oxidase expression on the response of Nicotiana tabacum to cold temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 142: 339–351. , , , .
- 2010b. The Arabidopsis prohibitin gene PHB3 functions in nitric oxide-mediated responses and in hydrogen peroxide-induced nitric oxide accumulation. The Plant Cell 22: 249–259. , , , , .
- 2008. The lack of alternative oxidase at low temperature leads to a disruption of the balance in carbon and nitrogen metabolism, and to an up-regulation of anti-oxidant defense systems in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1190–1202. , , , .
- 2009. Nitrite reduction and superoxide-dependent nitric oxide degradation by Arabidopsis mitochondria: influence of external NAD(P)H dehydrogenases and alternative oxidase in the control of nitric oxide levels. Nitric Oxide 21: 132–139. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ACCELERATED CELL DEATH2 modulates programmed cell death. The Plant Cell 18: 397–411. , .