These authors contributed equally to this work.
Whole-mount confocal imaging of nuclei in giant feeding cells induced by root-knot nematodes in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2012
© 2012 INRA. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 2, pages 488–496, July 2012
How to Cite
Vieira, P., Engler, G. and de Almeida Engler, J. (2012), Whole-mount confocal imaging of nuclei in giant feeding cells induced by root-knot nematodes in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 195: 488–496. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04175.x
- Issue online: 15 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2012
- Received: 22 March 2012, Accepted: 6 April 2012
- 2009. Systematic analysis of cell cycle gene expression during Arabidopsis development. Plant Journal 59: 645–660. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Molecular markers and cell cycle inhibitors show the importance of cell cycle progression in nematode-induced galls and syncytia. The Plant Cell 11: 793–808. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Unravelling the plant cell cycle in nematode induced feeding sites. In: Jones J, Gheysen G, Fenoll C, eds. Genomics and molecular genetics of plant–nematode interactions. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer Science+Business Media, 349–368. , , .
- 2010. Putative Arabidopsis transcriptional adaptor protein (PROPORZ1) is required to modulate histone acetylation in response to auxin. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 10308–10313. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. RNA interference of dual oxidase in the plant nematode Meloidogyne incognita. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 1099–1106. , , , .
- 2011. Feeding cells induced by phytoparasitic nematodes require γ-tubulin ring complex for microtubule reorganization. PLoS Pathogens 12: e1002343. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Procedure for whole mount fluorescence in situ hybridization of interphase nuclei on Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 6: 123–131. , , , , .
- 2007. Autonomy of cell proliferation and developmental programs during Arabidopsis aboveground organ morphogenesis. Developmental Biology 304: 367–381. , .
- 1961. The ultrastructure and histochemistry of a nematode-induced giant cell. The Journal of Biophysical and Biochemical Cytology 11: 701–715. .
- 1973. Observations on chromosomes and nucleoli in syncytia induced by Meloidogyne javanica. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 3: 387–391. .
- 2001. Dynamic analyses of the expression of the HISTONE::YFP fusion protein in Arabidopsis show that syncytial endosperm is divided in mitotic domains. Plant Cell 13: 495–509. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Systematic localization of the Arabidopsis core cell cycle proteins reveals novel cell division complexes. Plant Physiology 152: 553–565. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. MAP65-3 microtubule-associated protein is essential for nematode-induced giant cell ontogenesis in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 20: 423–437. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Actin-depolymerizing factor2-mediated actin dynamics are essential for root-knot nematode infection of Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 21: 2963–2979. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Nematode parasitism genes. Annual Review of Phytopathology 38: 365–396. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Functional analysis of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors of Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 13: 1653–1667. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Histopathology and ultrastructure of crops invaded by certain sedentary endoparasitic nematodes. In: Veech JA, Dickson DW, eds. Vistas on nematology. A commemoration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the society of nematologists. Hyattsville, MD, USA: Society of Nematologists, 196–210. .
- 2006. Engineering broad root-knot resistance in transgenic plants by RNAi silencing of a conserved and essential root-knot nematode parasitism gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 14302–14306. , , , , .
- 1969. Mitotic aberrations and nuclear changes of developing giant cells in Vicia faba caused by root knot nematode Meloidogyne javanica. Phytopathology 59: 447–455. , .
- 2006. Cell cycle regulation in plant development. Annual Review of Genetics 40: 77–105. , .
- 2006. Analysis of the subcellular localization, function, and proteolytic control of the Arabidopsis cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor ICK1/KRP1. Plant Physiology 141: 1293–12305. , , , , , , .
- 1972. Multinucleate transfer cells induced in coleus roots by the root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne arenaria. Protoplasma 75: 381–395. , .
- 1978. Early stages of nematode-induced giant-cell formation in roots of Impatiens balsamina. Journal of Nematology 10: 70–84. , .
- 2008. Control of plant germline proliferation by SCFFBL17 degradation of cell cycle inhibitors. Nature 455: 1134–1137. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Targeted degradation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor ICK4/KRP6 by RING-type E3 ligases is essential for mitotic cell cycle progression during Arabidopsis gametogenesis. The Plant Cell 20: 1538–1554. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Gene silencing induced by hairpin or inverted repeated sense transgenes varies among promoters and cell types. New Phytologist 184: 851–864. , , , , , .
- 2005. Global analysis of the core cell cycle regulators of Arabidopsis identifies novel genes, reveals multiple and highly specific profiles of expression and provides a coherent model for plant cell cycle control. Plant Journal 41: 546–566. , , , .
- 1996. Induction of cdc2a and cyc1At expression in Arabidopsis during early phases of nematode-induced feeding cell formation. Plant Journal 10: 1037–1043. , , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of the spatial expression pattern of seven Kip related proteins (KRPs) in the shoot apex of Arabidopsis thaliana. Annals of Botany 93: 575–580. , , , , , .
- 1964. Root-knot histogenesis. Contribibutions from Boyce Thompson Institute 22: 39–50. , .
- 2010. Variability in the control of cell division underlies sepal epidermal patterning in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 8: e1000367. , , , , , .
- 2011. The Arabidopsis D-type cyclin CYCD2;1 and the inhibitor ICK/KRP2 modulate auxin-induced lateral root formation. The Plant Cell 23: 641–660. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Misexpression of the cyclin-depedent kinase inhibitor ICK1/KRP1 in single-celled Arabidopsis trichomes reduces endoreduplication and cell size and induces cell death. The Plant Cell 15: 303–315. , , , , .
- 1994. Parasitic strategies of root nematodes and associated host cell responses. Annual Review of Phytopathology 32: 235–259. , , .
- 1993. Dynamics of the nuclear complement of giant cells induced by Meloidogyne incognita. Journal of Nematology 25: 416–421. .
- 2009. 3D fluorescent in situ hybridization using Arabidopsis leaf cryosections and isolated nuclei. Plant Methods 5: 1–7. , , , , .
- 2008. A simple way to identify non-viable cells within living plant tissue using confocal microscopy. Plant Methods 4: 1–6. , .
- 2005. The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor KRP2 controls the onset of the endoreduplication cycle during Arabidopsis leaf development through inhibition of mitotic CDKA;1 kinase complexes. The Plant Cell 17: 1723–1736. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A plant cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor gene. Nature 386: 451–452. , , .
- 2000. Expression of the plant cyclin-depedent kinase inhibitor ICK1 affects cell division, plant growth and morphology. Plant Journal 24: 613–623. , , , , .
- 2005. Novel functions of plant cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors, ICK1/KRP1, can act non-cell autonomously and inhibit entry into mitosis. The Plant Cell 17: 1704–1722. , , , , , , .
- 1990. DNA content and variation in chromosome number in plant cells affected by Meloidogyne incognita and M. arenaria. Phytopathology 80: 1391–1395. , , .
- 2008. A new whole-mount DNA quantification method and the analysis of nuclear DNA content in the stem-cell niche of Arabidopsis roots. Plant Journal 55: 886–894. , , , .
- 2002. Plant CDK inhibitors: studies of interactions with cell cycle regulators in the yeast two-hybrid system and functional comparisons in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. Plant Cell Reports 20: 967–975. , , .
- 2003. The plant cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor ICK1 has distinct functional domains for in vivo kinase inhibition, protein instability and nuclear localization. Plant Journal 35: 476–489. , , , , .