Rapid and accurate analyses of silicon and phosphorus in plants using a portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometer
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 3, pages 699–706, August 2012
How to Cite
Reidinger, S., Ramsey, M. H. and Hartley, S. E. (2012), Rapid and accurate analyses of silicon and phosphorus in plants using a portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometer. New Phytologist, 195: 699–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04179.x
- Issue online: 9 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2012
- Received: 25 February 2012, Accepted: 13 April 2012
- 1989. Chemical analysis of ecological materials, 2nd edn. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. .
- 1997. Evaluation of portable X-ray fluorescence instrumentation for in situ measurements of lead on contaminated land. Analyst 122: 743–749. , , .
- 2002. Comparison of different analytical procedures in the determination of trace elements in lichens. Chemosphere 48: 299–306. , , , .
- 2005. Fine particulate formation during switchgrass/coal cofiring. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 127: 457–463. , .
- 2009. The story of phosphorus: global food security and food for thought. Global Environmental Change 19: 292–305. , , .
- 2001. Silicon in agriculture. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier. , , .
- 2008. Standard additions: myth and reality. Analyst 133: 992–997. , .
- 1970. X-ray fluorescence analysis for light elements in plant and faecal materials. Analyst 95: 919–929. .
- 2005. Silicon and plant disease resistance against pathogenic fungi. FEMS Microbiology Letters 249: 1–6. , , , .
- 1969. Soluble and total silicon in sugar cane. Plant and Soil 30: 81–92. , , , .
- 2011. Interactive effects of plant-available soil silicon and herbivory on competition between two grass species. Annals of Botany 108: 1355–1363. , , .
- 1989. Determination of silicon in National Institute of Standards and Technology biological standard reference materials by instrumental epithermal neutron activation and x-ray fluorescence spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 61: 1834–1836. , , .
- 1995. Elemental analysis of coins and glasses. Applied Radiation and Isotopes 46: 583–588. .
- 2010. Determination of the silicon concentration in plant material using Tiron extraction. New Phytologist 188: 902–906. , , .
- 1995. Direct determination of 25 elements in dry powdered plant materials by X-ray fluorescence spectrometry. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 55: 75–80. , .
- 1993. A review of plant analysis in Australia. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 33: 1029–1038. , .
- 1991. Quantitative chemical analysis, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: Freeman. .
- 2005. Application of silicon enhanced drought tolerance in Sorghum bicolor. Physiologia Plantarum 123: 459–466. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Determination of silicon in biological samples by ICP OES after non-oxidative decomposition under alkaline conditions. Fresenius’ Journal of Analytical Chemistry 370: 246–250. , , .
- 2006. Rapid, wet oxidation procedure for the estimation of silicon in plant tissue. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 37: 2299–2306. , .
- 2001. Preparation steps in environmental trace element analysis - facts and traps. Talanta 54: 1021–1038. .
- JCGM 200. 2012. International Vocabulary of Metrology – basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM, 3rd edition). Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (Sèvres Cedex), terms 2.18, 2.20 and 2.23. Available online at: http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html.
- 1967. Silica in soils, plants and animals. Advances in Agronomy 19: 107–149. , .
- 2000. Analysis of cement using low-resolution energy-dispersive x-ray fluorescence and partial least-squares regression. X-Ray Spectrometry 29: 297–304. , , .
- 1998. Silicon determination by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry after generation of volatile silicon tetrafluoride. Talanta 45: 1211–1217. , , , .
- 2005. Multielemental fast analysis of vegetation samples by wavelength dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometry: possibilities and drawbacks. Spectrochimica Acta Part B 60: 1363–1372. , , .
- 2006. Experimental demonstration of the anti-herbivore effects of silica in grasses: impacts on foliage digestibility and vole growth rates. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273: 2299–2304. , .
- 2007. Application of direct solid analysis of plant samples by electrothermal vaporization-inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry: determination of Cd and Si for environmental purposes. Spectrochimica Acta Part B-Atomic Spectroscopy 62: 224–230. , , , .
- 1996. Boiler deposits from firing biomass fuels. Biomass and Bioenergy 10: 125–138. , , , , , .
- 1975. Rapid microdetermination of silicon in rice plant. Plant and Soil 42: 491–494. , , .
- 2001. Silicon and heavy metal tolerance of higher plants. Phytochemistry 56: 685–692. , .
- 1942. Soil and plant analysis: a laboratory manual of methods for the examination of soils and the determination of the inorganic constituents of plants. Adelaide, SA, Australia: University of Adelaide. .
- 2008. Portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry – capabilities for in situ analysis. Cambridge, UK: RSC Publishing. , .
- 2005. Quantitative determination of essential and trace element content of medicinal plants and their infusions by XRF and ICP techniques. X-Ray Spectrometry 34: 213–217. , , , , .
- 1995. An objective assessment of analytical method precision: comparison of ICP-AES and XRF for the analysis of silicate rocks. Chemical Geology 124: 1–19. , , , , , .
- 1995. The use of X-ray fluorescence spectrometry for the analysis of plants, especially lichens, employed in biological monitoring. Science of the Total Environment 176: 97–105. , , , .
- 1987. Regression techniques for the detection of analytical bias. Analyst 112: 377–383. , .
- 2004. Ecosystem properties and forest decline in contrasting long-term chronosequences. Sciences 305: 509–513. , , .