A re-evaluation of carbon storage in trees lends greater support for carbon limitation to growth
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 2, pages 285–289, July 2012
How to Cite
Wiley, E. and Helliker, B. (2012), A re-evaluation of carbon storage in trees lends greater support for carbon limitation to growth. New Phytologist, 195: 285–289. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04180.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2012
- 2006. Integration of plant responses to environmentally activated phytohormonal signals. Science 311: 91–94. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The cold-inducible CBF1 factor-dependent signaling pathway modulates the accumulation of the growth-repressing DELLA proteins via its effect on gibberellin metabolism. Plant Cell 20: 2117–2129. , , , , , .
- 2008. Carbon balance of conifer seedlings at timberline: relative changes in uptake, storage, and utilization. Oecologia 158: 217–227. , .
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63: 20. , , , .
- 1999. Interspecific and intraspecific variation in tree seedling survival: effects of allocation to roots versus carbohydrate reserves. Oecologia 121: 1–11. , , , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 1987. Winter starch reserves of white oak as predictor of attack by the twolined chestnut borer, Agrilus bilineatus (Weber) (Coleoptera: Buprestidae). Oecologia 74: 352–355. , , .
- 2011. Carbon reserves and canopy defoliation determine the recovery of Scots pine 4 yr after a drought episode. New Phytologist 190: 750–759. , , .
- 2011. Root carbon reserve dynamics in aspen seedlings: does simulated drought induce reserve limitation? Tree Physiology 31: 250–257. , , .
- 2010. Age-related variation in carbon allocation at tree and stand scales in beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) and sessile oak (Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl.) using a chronosequence approach. Tree Physiology 30: 177–192. , , .
- 2009. Adjustment of growth, starch turnover, protein content and central metabolism to a decrease of the carbon supply when Arabidopsis is grown in very short photoperiods. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 859–874. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate storage and survival of a native and an introduced tree species in relation to light and defoliation. Tree Physiology 24: 1087–1097. , .
- 2002. Impacts of climate change on the tree line. Annals of Botany 90: 537–544. , , .
- 2005. A test of the tree-line carbon limitation hypothesis by in situ CO2 enrichment and defoliation. Ecology 86: 1288–1300. , , .
- 2003. The carbon charging of pines at the climatic treeline: a global comparison. Oecologia 135: 10–21. , .
- 2002. Altitudinal increase of mobile carbon pools in Pinus cembra suggests sink limitation of growth at the Swiss treeline. Oikos 98: 361–374. , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 1998. A re-assessment of high elevation treeline positions and their explanation. Oecologia 115: 445–459. .
- 1999. Alpine plant life: functional plant ecology of high mountain ecosystems. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 2004. Testing the branch autonomy theory: a 13C/14C double labelling experiment on differentially shaded branches. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1159–1168. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Source/sink removal affects mobile carbohydrates in Pinus cembra at the Swiss treeline. Trees-Structure and Function 16: 331–337. , , .
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiology 155: 1051–1059. .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Carbohydrate storage enhances seedling shade and stress tolerance in a neotropical forest. Journal of Ecology 95: 383–395. , .
- 2008. Browsed Betula pubescens trees are not carbon-limited. Functional Ecology 22: 808–815. , , , .
- 2011. Hydraulic constraints limit height growth in trees at high altitude. New Phytologist 189: 241–252. , , , , .
- 2011. Drought induces opposite changes in the concentration of non structural carbohydrates of two evergreen Nothofagus species of differential drought resistance. Annals of Forest Science 68: 415–424. .
- 2009. Carbohydrate storage, survival, and growth of two evergreen Nothofagus species in two contrasting light environments. Ecological Research 24: 1233–1241. , , , .
- 2009. Drought tolerance of two black poplar (Populus nigra L.) clones: contributions of carbohydrates and oxidative stress defence. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1724–1736. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The hydraulic limitation hypothesis revisited. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 367–381. , , .
- 1997. Hydraulic limits to tree height and tree growth. BioScience 47: 235–242. , .
- 2009. Height-related growth declines in ponderosa pine are not due to carbon limitation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 22–30. , .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytologist 186: 274–281. , , .
- 2009. Seasonal carbon storage and growth in Mediterranean tree seedlings under different water conditions. Tree Physiology 29: 1105–1116. , , .
- 2008. A test of the growth-limitation theory for alpine tree line formation in evergreen and deciduous taxa of the eastern Himalayas. Functional Ecology 22: 213–220. , , .
- 2007. Coordination of carbon supply and plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1126–1149. , .
- 2010. Testing the growth limitation hypothesis for subarctic Scots pine. Journal of Ecology 98: 1186–1195. , , .
- 2007. Effects of sink removal on transpiration at the treeline: implications for the growth limitation hypothesis. Environmental and Experimental Botany 60: 334–339. , , , .
- 1983. Bioclimate and its effect on the carbon dioxide flux of mountain birch (Betula pubescens Ehrh.) at its altitudinal tree-line in the Torneträsk area, northern Sweden. Nordicana 47: 111–122. .
- 2000. North American and European treelines: external forces and internal processes controlling position. Ambio 29: 388–395. .
- 1975. Effect of climate on photosynthesis of Picea mariana at subarctic tree line. 1. Field measurements. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 53: 604–620. , , .
- 2011. Water stress, shoot growth and storage of non-structural carbohydrates along a tree height gradient in a tall conifer. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1920–1930. , .
- 2005. Non-structural carbohydrate pools in a tropical forest. Oecologia 143: 11–24. , , , .
- 1994. Evidence of reduced photosynthetic rates in old trees. Forest Science 40: 513–527. , , , , .