Aluminium tolerance of root hairs underlies genotypic differences in rhizosheath size of wheat (Triticum aestivum) grown on acid soil
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 3, pages 609–619, August 2012
How to Cite
Delhaize, E., James, R. A. and Ryan, P. R. (2012), Aluminium tolerance of root hairs underlies genotypic differences in rhizosheath size of wheat (Triticum aestivum) grown on acid soil. New Phytologist, 195: 609–619. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04183.x
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
- Received: 23 March 2012, Accepted: 13 April 2012
- 2000a. The efficiency of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae) root hairs in phosphorus acquisition. American Journal of Botany 87: 964–970. , .
- 2000b. Plant growth and phosphorus accumulation of wild type and two root hair mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 958–963. , .
- 1993. Calcium amelioration of aluminum toxicity effects on root hair development in soybean [Glycine max (L) Merr]. New Phytologist 123: 531–538. , , , .
- 1993. Aluminum tolerance in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) I. Uptake and distribution of aluminum in root apices. Plant Physiology 103: 685–693. , , , , , .
- 2007. The roles of organic anion permeases in aluminium resistance and mineral nutrition. FEBS Letters 581: 2255–2262. , , .
- 2004. Engineering high-level aluminum tolerance in barley with the ALMT1 gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 15249–15254. , , , , , .
- 2009. Transgenic barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) expressing the wheat aluminium resistance gene (TaALMT1) shows enhanced phosphorus nutrition and grain production when grown on an acid soil. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7: 391–400. , , , , , .
- 1985. Rhizosheaths on mesophytic grasses. Crop Science 25: 880–883. , .
- 2005. Localization of aluminium in maize root apex: can morin detect cell wall-bound aluminium? Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1351–1357. , , .
- 1978. The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 511–566. , , .
- 2003. Phosphorus (P) uptake and growth of a root hairless barley mutant (bald root barley, brb) and wild type in low- and high-P soils. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1759–1766. , .
- 2001. A root hairless barley mutant for elucidating genetic of root hairs and phosphorus uptake. Plant and Soil 235: 211–219. , , , .
- 2007. A study of the role of root morphological traits in growth of barley in zinc-deficient soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2775–2784. , , .
- 1987. Rhizosheaths - a neglected phenomenon in Australian agriculture. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 38: 559–563. , .
- 2010a. Root morphology, root-hair development and rhizosheath formation on perennial grass seedlings is influenced by soil acidity. Plant and Soil 335: 457–468. , , , , .
- 2011. Effect of soil acidity, soil strength and macropores on root growth and morphology of perennial grass species differing in acid-soil resistance. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 444–456. , , , , .
- 2010b. Effect of lime on root growth, morphology and the rhizosheath of cereal seedlings growing in an acid soil. Plant and Soil 327: 199–212. , , , , .
- 1998. Effect of aluminum on cytoplasmic Ca2+ homeostasis in root hairs of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.). Planta 206: 378–387. , , , , .
- 1995. Role of calcium and other ions in directing root hair tip growth in Limnobium stoloniferum. 1. Inhibition of tip growth by aluminum. Planta 197: 672–680. , , .
- 1993. Aluminum enhancement of plant growth in acid rooting media. A case of reciprocal alleviation of toxicity by two toxic cations. Physiologia Plantarum 88: 619–625. .
- 2008. Variation in early phosphorus-uptake efficiency among wheat genotypes grown on two contrasting Australian soils. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 59: 157–166. , , , , , .
- 1999. Roots in soil: unearthing the complexities of roots and their rhizospheres. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 695–718. .
- 1976a. Uptake of Zn65 from dry soil by plants. Plant and Soil 44: 267–271. .
- 1976b. Uptake of Zn-65 by oats in relation to soil-water content and root growth. Australian Journal of Soil Research 14: 67–74. .
- 2010. Engineering greater aluminium resistance in wheat by over-expressing TaALMT1. Annals of Botany 106: 205–214. , , , , , .
- 1911. The roots of some North African desert-grasses. New Phytologist 10: 328–340. .
- 2008. Analysis of TaALMT1 traces the transmission of aluminum resistance in cultivated common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 116: 343–354. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Characterisation of Al-stimulated efflux of malate from the apices of Al-tolerant wheat roots. Planta 196: 103–110. , , .
- 2009. A second mechanism for aluminum resistance in wheat relies on the constitutive efflux of citrate from roots. Plant Physiology 149: 340–351. , , , , .
- 2004. A wheat gene encoding an aluminum-activated malate transporter. Plant Journal 37: 645–653. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Seasonal water relations of Lyginia barbata (Southern rush) in relation to root xylem development and summer dormancy of root apices. New Phytologist 185: 1025–1037. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Summer dormancy and winter growth: root survival strategy in a perennial monocotyledon. New Phytologist 183: 1085–1096. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Formation and stabilization of rhizosheaths of Zea mays L. Effect of soil-water content. Plant Physiology 106: 179–186. , , .
- 1995. Variation in moisture contents between bulk soil and the rhizosheath of wheat (Triticum-aestivum L cv Wembley). New Phytologist 130: 135–139. .