NO and ROS homeostasis in mitochondria: a central role for alternative oxidase
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 1, pages 1–3, July 2012
How to Cite
Gupta, K. J., Igamberdiev, A. U. and Mur, L. A. J. (2012), NO and ROS homeostasis in mitochondria: a central role for alternative oxidase. New Phytologist, 195: 1–3. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04189.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2012
- 2002. Nitric oxide inhibition of mitochondrial respiration and its role in cell death. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 33: 1440–1450. , .
- 2005. Interaction between photorespiration and respiration in transgenic potato plants with antisense reduction in glycine decarboxylase. Planta 222: 130–140. , , , , .
- 2012. Alternative oxidase modulates leaf mitochondrial concentrations of superoxide and nitric oxide. New Phytologist 195: 32–39. , .
- 2001. Signal interactions between nitric oxide and reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13454–13459. , , , .
- 2011. Salicylic acid and its location in response to biotic and abiotic stress. FEBS Letters 585: 1847–1852. , , , , .
- 2010. Systemic induction and role of mitochondrial alternative oxidase and nitric oxide in a compatible tomato–tobacco mosaic virus interaction. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions 23: 39–48. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis nitric oxide synthase1 is targeted to mitochondria and protects against oxidative damage and dark-induced senescence. Plant Cell 17: 3436–3450. , .
- 2011. Protein S-nitrosylation in plants: photorespiratory metabolism and NO signaling. Science Signaling 4: jc1. .
- 2011. On the origins of nitric oxide. Trends in Plant Science 16: 160–168. , , , .
- 2011. The anoxic plant mitochondrion as a nitrite: NO reductase. Mitochondrion 11: 537–543. , .
- 2010. Production and scavenging of nitric oxide by barley root mitochondria. Plant and Cell Physiology 51: 576–584. , .
- 2012. Inhibition of aconitase by nitric oxide leads to induction of alternative oxidase and to a shift of metabolism towards biosynthesis of amino acids. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 1773–1784. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. In higher plants, only root mitochondria, but not leaf mitochondria reduce nitrite to NO, in vitro and in situ. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2601–2609. , , .
- 2002. Nitric oxide induces transcriptional activation of the nitric oxide-tolerant alternative oxidase in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Planta 215: 914–923. , , .
- 1996. Nitric oxide inhibits the cytochrome oxidase but not the alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria. FEBS Letters 398: 155–158. , .
- 2001. Plant mitochondria and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 2008. AtNOS/AtNOA1 is a functional Arabidopsis thaliana cGTPase and not a nitric-oxide synthase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 32957–32967. , , , , .
- 2004. Salicylic acid is an uncoupler and inhibitor of mitochondrial electron transport. Plant Physiology 134: 492–501. , , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide degradation by potato tuber mitochondria: evidence for the involvement of external NAD(P)H dehydrogenases. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1777: 470–476. , , , .
- 2002. Transgenic plant cells lacking mitochondrial alternative oxidase have increased susceptibility to mitochondria-dependent and -independent pathways of programmed cell death. Plant Physiology 129: 1908–1920. , .
- 2012. The hemibiotrophic cacao pathogen Moniliophthora perniciosa depends on a mitochondrial alternative oxidase for biotrophic development. New Phytologist 194: 1025–1034. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Alternative oxidase: a target and regulator of stress responses. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 354–361. , , , .
- 2001. Mitochondrial alternative oxidase acts to dampen the generation of active oxygen species during a period of rapid respiration induced to support a high rate of nutrient uptake. Physiologia Plantarum 112: 327–333. , .
- 2002. Nitric oxide affects plant mitochondrial functionality in vivo. FEBS Letters 515: 75–78. , , , , , .