These authors contributed equally to this work.
Arabidopsis thaliana plants differentially modulate auxin biosynthesis and transport during defense responses to the necrotrophic pathogen Alternaria brassicicola
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 4, pages 872–882, September 2012
How to Cite
Qi, L., Yan, J., Li, Y., Jiang, H., Sun, J., Chen, Q., Li, H., Chu, J., Yan, C., Sun, X., Yu, Y., Li, C. and Li, C. (2012), Arabidopsis thaliana plants differentially modulate auxin biosynthesis and transport during defense responses to the necrotrophic pathogen Alternaria brassicicola. New Phytologist, 195: 872–882. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04208.x
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2012
- Received: 20 April 2012, Accepted: 14 May 2012
- 2008. Plant DELLAs restrain growth and promote survival of adversity by reducing the levels of reactive oxygen species. Current Biology 18: 656–660. , , , , .
- 2007. ABA is an essential signal for plant resistance to pathogens affecting JA biosynthesis and the activation of defenses in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 1665–1681. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Jasmonate signalling network in Arabidopsis thaliana: crucial regulatory nodes and new physiological scenarios. New Phytologist 177: 301–318. , .
- 2009. Role of plant hormones in plant defence responses. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 473–488. , .
- 2003. Local, efflux-dependent auxin gradients as a common module for plant organ formation. Cell 115: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The PIN auxin efflux facilitator network controls growth and patterning in Arabidopsis roots. Nature 433: 39–44. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The role of ethylene in host-pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44: 393–416. , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of an Arabidopsis mutant that is nonresponsive to inducers of systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell 6: 1583–1592. , , , .
- 2007. Pseudomonas syringae type III effector AvrRpt2 alters Arabidopsis thaliana auxin physiology. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 20131–20136. , , , , , , .
- 2008. New perspectives on plant defense responses through modulation of developmental pathways. Molecules and Cells 26: 107–112. , , , .
- 2007. Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato hijacks the Arabidopsis abscisic acid signalling pathway to cause disease. EMBO Journal 26: 1434–1443. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Auxin transport – shaping the plant. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 7–12. .
- 2002a. AtPIN4 mediates sink-driven auxin gradients and root patterning in Arabidopsis. Cell 108: 661–673. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Efflux-dependent auxin gradients establish the apical-basal axis of Arabidopsis. Nature 426: 147–153. , , , , , , , .
- 2002b. Lateral relocation of auxin efflux regulator PIN3 mediates tropism in Arabidopsis. Nature 415: 806–809. , , , , .
- 2004. Real-time PCR monitoring of fungal development in Arabidopsis thaliana infected by Alternaria brassicicola and Botrytis cinerea. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 367–371. , .
- 2001. BIG: a calossin-like protein required for polar auxin transport in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 15: 1985–1997. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Camalexin is synthesized from indole-3-acetaldoxime, a key branching point between primary and secondary metabolism in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 8245–8250. , , , .
- 2005. Contrasting mechanisms of defense against biotrophic and necrotrophic pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 205–227. .
- 2001. Auxin regulates SCF(TIR1)-dependent degradation of AUX/IAA proteins. Nature 414: 271–276. , , , , .
- 2008. Constitutive activation of a CC-NB-LRR protein alters morphogenesis through the cytokinin pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 55: 14–27. , , , , , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2009. Linking development to defense: auxin in plant–pathogen interactions. Trends in Plant Science 14: 373–382. , .
- 2011. The interplay between light and jasmonate signalling during defence and development. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4087–4100. , .
- 2007. The BRI1-associated kinase 1, BAK1, has a brassinolide-independent role in plant cell-death control. Current Biology 17: 1116–1122. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The mediator complex subunit PFT1 is a key regulator of jasmonate-dependent defense in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2237–2252. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Auxin signaling and transport promote susceptibility to the root-infecting fungal pathogen Fusarium oxysporum in Arabidopasis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 24: 733–748. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cross talk in defense signaling. Plant Physiology 146: 839–844. , .
- 2003. Brassinosteroid-mediated stress responses. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 22: 289–297. .
- 2011. Biochemical and genetic requirements for function of the immune response regulator BOTRYTIS-INDUCED KINASE1 in plant growth, ethylene signaling, and PAMP-triggered immunity in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23: 2831–2849. , , , , , .
- 2009. Measurement of auxin transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature Protocols 4: 437–451. , .
- 2008. Repression of the auxin response pathway increases Arabidopsis susceptibility to necrotrophic fungi. Molecular Plant 1: 496–509. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Salicylic acid in plant defence--the players and protagonists. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 466–472. , .
- 2005. Molecular players regulating the jasmonate signalling network. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 532–540. , .
- 2002. AUX1 promotes lateral root formation by facilitating indole-3-acetic acid distribution between sink and source tissues in the Arabidopsis seedling. Plant Cell 14: 589–597. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The role of abscisic acid in plant-pathogen interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 409–414. , .
- 2003. The BOTRYTIS SUSCEPTIBLE1 gene encodes an R2R3MYB transcription factor protein that is required for biotic and abiotic stress responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 2551–2565. .
- 2007. Suppression by ABA of salicylic acid and lignin accumulation and the expression of multiple genes, in Arabidopsis infected with Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato. Functional & Integrative Genomics 7: 181–191. , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis cytochrome P450 monooxygenase 71A13 catalyzes the conversion of indole-3-acetaldoxime in camalexin synthesis. Plant Cell 19: 2039–2052. , , , , , , .
- 2000. AXR2 encodes a member of the Aux/IAA protein family. Plant Physiology 123: 563–574. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A plant miRNA contributes to antibacterial resistance by repressing auxin signaling. Science 312: 436–439. .
- 2008. DELLAs control plant immune responses by modulating the balance of jasmonic acid and salicylic acid signaling. Current Biology 18: 650–655. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Susceptible to intolerance--a range of hormonal actions in a susceptible Arabidopsis pathogen response. Plant Journal 33: 245–257. , , , , , .
- 1996. Pathogen-induced systemic activation of a plant defensin gene in Arabidopsis follows a salicylic acid-independent pathway. Plant Cell 8: 2309–2323. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Concomitant activation of jasmonate and ethylene response pathways is required for induction of a plant defensin gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 2103–2113. , , , , .
- 2009. Networking by small-molecule hormones in plant immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 308–316. , , , .
- 2011. Hormone crosstalk in plant disease and defense: more than just jasmonate-salicylate antagonism. Annual Review of Phytopathology 49: 317–343. , , .
- 2008. Bacterial effectors target the common signaling partner BAK1 to disrupt multiple MAMP receptor-signaling complexes and impede plant immunity. Cell Host & Microbe 4: 17–27. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptome analysis of Arabidopsis clubroots indicate a key role for cytokinins in disease development. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 480–494. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A link between ethylene and auxin uncovered by the characterization of two root-specific ethylene-insensitive mutants in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 2230–2242. , , , .
- 2011. Role of camalexin, indole glucosinolates, and side chain modification of glucosinolate-derived isothiocyanates in defense of Arabidopsis against Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Plant Journal 67: 81–93. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The IBR5 phosphatase promotes Arabidopsis auxin responses through a novel mechanism distinct from TIR1-mediated repressor degradation. BMC Plant Biology 8: 41. , , .
- 2011. Jasmonate modulates endocytosis and plasma membrane accumulation of the Arabidopsis PIN2 protein. New Phytologist 191: 360–375. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Arabidopsis ASA1 is important for jasmonate-mediated regulation of auxin biosynthesis and transport during lateral root formation. Plant Cell 21: 1495–1511. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Structure-function analysis of the presumptive Arabidopsis auxin permease AUX1. Plant Cell 16: 3069–3083. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Spatiotemporal asymmetric auxin distribution: a means to coordinate plant development. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 63: 2738–2754. , , , .
- 1999. Deficiency in phytoalexin production causes enhanced susceptibility of Arabidopsis thaliana to the fungus Alternaria brassicicola. Plant Journal 19: 163–171. , , , .
- 2001. The complexity of disease signaling in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion in Immunology 13: 63–68. , , , .
- 2002. An Arabidopsis mutant defective in jasmonate response is allelic to the auxin-signaling mutant axr1. Plant Physiology 130: 887–894. , .
- 2009. Auxin: a trigger for change in plant development. Cell 136: 1005–1016. , .
- 2006. The membrane-anchored BOTRYTIS-INDUCED KINASE1 plays distinct roles in Arabidopsis resistance to necrotrophic and biotrophic pathogens. Plant Cell 18: 257–273. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Salicylic acid inhibits pathogen growth in plants through repression of the auxin signaling pathway. Current Biology 17: 1784–1790. , , , .
- 2002. The SCFCOI1 ubiquitin-ligase complexes are required for jasmonate response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14: 1919–1935. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Altered disease development in the eui mutants and Eui overexpressors indicates that gibberellins negatively regulate rice basal disease resistance. Molecular Plant 1: 528–537. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Auxin biosynthesis and its role in plant development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 49–64. .
- 2002. Trp-dependent auxin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis: involvement of cytochrome P450 CYP79B3 and CYP79B3. Genes and Development 16: 3100–3112. , , , , , , , , .