Carbon isotopic composition of Ambrosia and Artemisia pollen: assessment of a C3-plant paleophysiological indicator
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Author. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 195, Issue 4, pages 787–793, September 2012
How to Cite
Nelson, D. M. (2012), Carbon isotopic composition of Ambrosia and Artemisia pollen: assessment of a C3-plant paleophysiological indicator. New Phytologist, 195: 787–793. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04219.x
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
- Received: 10 May 2012, Accepted: 28 May 2012
- 1997. Stable carbon isotope composition of Poaceae pollen and its potential in paleovegetational reconstructions. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 99: 17–24. , , , .
- 2003. Non-foliar photosynthesis – a strategy of additional carbon acquisition. Flora 198: 81–97. , .
- 1979. Photosynthetic contribution of flowers and seeds to reproductive effort of an annual colonizer. New Phytologist 82: 223–232. , .
- 1996. Ecophysiological responses of woody plants to past CO2 concentrations. Tree Physiology 16: 389–396. .
- 2003. The importance of low atmospheric CO2 and fire in promoting the spread of grasslands and savannas. Global Change Biology 9: 973–982. , , .
- 2009. Angiosperm leaf vein evolution was physiologically and environmentally transformative. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 1771–1776. , , , .
- 1968. Chemical structure of exine of pollen walls and a new function for carotenoids in nature. Nature 219: 532–533. , .
- 1982. Regulation of water use in relation to carbon gain in higher plants. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology 12B: 489–613. .
- 2005. Pre-industrial-potential and last glacial maximum global vegetation simulated with a coupled climate-biosphere model: diagnosis of bioclimatic relationships. Global and Planetary Change 45: 295–312. , , .
- 2008. Physiographically sensitive mapping of climatological temperature and precipitation across the conterminous United States. International Journal of Climatology 28: 2031–2064. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507–559. , , , , .
- 2007. Stable isotope ratios of carbon and nitrogen in pollen grains in order to characterize plant functional groups and photosynthetic pathway types. New Phytologist 176: 390–401. , .
- 2008. Plant paleoecology in deep time. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 95: 144–198. , .
- 2007. Carbon-isotopic analysis of microbial cells sorted by flow cytometry. Geobiology 5: 85–95. , , .
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2 and the ratio of intercellular to ambient CO2 concentrations in plants. Tree Physiology 15: 105–111. , .
- 1988. Correlations between carbon isotope ratio and microhabitat in desert plants. Oecologia 76: 562–566. , .
- 1993. Growth, photosynthesis, and resource investment for vegetative and reproductive modules of Artemisia tridentata. Ecology 74: 1516–1528. , .
- 1991. Reproductive growth during drought in Artemisia tridentata Nutt. Functional Ecology 5: 676–683. , , .
- 1989. Textbook of pollen analysis. New York, NY, USA: Wiley. , , , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the inter-cellular carbon-dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1999. A 1000-year high precision record of δ13C in atmospheric CO2. Tellus. Series B, Chemical and Physical Meteorology 51: 170–193. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Ice core record of the 13C/12C ratio of atmospheric CO2 in the past two centuries. Nature 324: 237–238. , , , , .
- 2012. Glacial trees from the La Brea tar pits show physiological constraints of low CO2. New Phytologist 194: 63–69. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant responses to low [CO2] of the past. New Phytologist 188: 674–695. , .
- 2001. Trends and paleoecological problems in the vegetation and climate history of the Northern Great Plains, U.S.A. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 101B: 47–64. .
- 2011. A high-resolution record of climate variability and landscape response from Kettle Lake, northern Great Plains, North America. Quaternary Science Reviews 30: 2626–2650. , , .
- 2001. PAST: paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis. Palaeontologia Electronica 4: 1–9. , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Parry ML, Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE, eds. Climate Change 2007: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. The carbon stable isotope composition of pollen. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 132: 291–313. .
- 2010. Carbon isotope compositions of terrestrial C3 plants as indicators of (paleo)ecology and (paleo)climate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107: 19691–19695. .
- 1999. Relationships between water availability, carbon isotope discrimination and plant productivity in two semi-arid grass and shrub species. Journal of Arid Environments 41: 49–60. .
- 2007. Regional expression of the 1988 U.S. Midwest drought in seasonal δ13C of tree rings. Journal of Geophysical Research. Atmospheres 112: D06107. .
- 2010. Drought stress ecophysiology of shrub and grass functional groups on opposing slope aspects of a temperate grassland valley. Botany-Botanique 88: 850–866. , , .
- 1999. CO2, climate, and vegetation feedbacks at the Last Glacial Maximum. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 104: 31191–31198. , , .
- 2000. Preparation of pollen for stable carbon isotope analyses. Chemical Geology 165: 339–344. , .
- 2001. Spatial variation in pollen δ13C correlates with temperature and seasonal development timing. Holocene 11: 587–592. , .
- 2004. The stable isotope analysis of pollen as an indicator of terrestrial palaeoenvironmental change: a review of progress and recent developments. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 893–900. , .
- 2006. Stable-carbon isotope composition of Poaceae pollen: an assessment for reconstructing C3 and C4 grass abundance. Holocene 16: 819–825. , , .
- 2007. Carbon isotopic analysis of individual pollen grains from C3 and C4 grasses using a spooling wire microcombustion interface. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71: 4005–4014. , , , , .
- 2008. Using SPIRAL (Single Pollen Isotope Ratio AnaLysis) to estimate C3- and C4-grass abundance in the paleorecord. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 269: 11–16. , , , , .
- 2004. Response of C3 and C4 plants to middle-Holocene climatic variation near the prairie–forest ecotone of Minnesota. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101: 562–567. , , , , .
- 2011. The role of carbon dioxide during the onset of Antarctic glaciation. Science 334: 1261–1264. , , , , , , , .
- 1965. Meteorological drought. NOAA Library and Information Services Division: U.S. Weather Bureau Research Paper, 58. .
- 2009. Ecosystem effects of CO2 concentration: evidence from past climates. Climate of the Past 5: 297–307. , .
- 2011. Evidence of a universal scaling relationship for leaf CO2 drawdown along an aridity gradient. New Phytologist 190: 169–180. , , , , , .
- 2005. Moving-wire device for carbon isotopic analyses of nanogram quantities of nonvolatile organic carbon. Analytical Chemistry 77: 6519–6527. , , .
- 1964. Chemical studies on the constitution of some pollen and spore membranes. Grana Palynologica 5: 247–252. , .
- 1991. Seasonal carbon isotope discrimination in a grassland community. Oecologia 85: 314–320. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Use and misuse of the reduced major axis for line-fitting. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 140: 476–486. .
- 1999. Estimating past leaf-to-air vapour pressure deficit from terrestrial plant δ13C. Journal of Quaternary Science 14: 437–442. , , , .
- 2002. Deriving a consistent δ13C signature from tree canopy leaf material for palaeoclimatic reconstruction. New Phytologist 155: 301–311. , , .
- 2010. Isotopic evidence of C4 grasses in southwestern Europe during the early Oligocene–middle Miocene. Geology 38: 1091–1094. , , , , , .
- 1994. Trends in stomatal density and 13C/12C ratios of Pinus flexilis needles during last glacial–interglacial cycle. Science 264: 239–243. , , .
- 1936. Effects of the great drought on the prairies of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. Ecology 17: 567–639. , .
- 2004. Late-Quaternary vegetation dynamics in North America: scaling from taxa to biomes. Ecological Monographs 74: 309–334. , , , , .
- 2008. Carbon isotope discrimination of C3 vegetation in Central Asian grassland as related to long-term and short-term precipitation patterns. Biogeosciences 5: 913–924. , , , , , .
- 1987. Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from preindustrial levels. Nature 327: 617–618. .