Multivariate analysis of physiological parameters reveals a consistent O3 response pattern in leaves of adult European beech (Fagus sylvatica)
Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 162–172, October 2012
How to Cite
Löw, M., Deckmyn, G., Op de Beeck, M., Blumenröther, M. C., Oßwald, W., Alexou, M., Jehnes, S., Haberer, K., Rennenberg, H., Herbinger, K., Häberle, K.-H., Bahnweg, G., Hanke, D., Wieser, G., Ceulemans, R., Matyssek, R. and Tausz, M. (2012), Multivariate analysis of physiological parameters reveals a consistent O3 response pattern in leaves of adult European beech (Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist, 196: 162–172. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04223.x
- Issue online: 24 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2012
- Received: 21 February 2012, Accepted: 30 May 2012
- 2001. Stable isotopes at natural abundance in terrestrial plant ecology and ecophysiology: an update. Plant Biology 3: 299–310. , .
- 2007. Significance of ozone exposure for inter-annual differences in primary metabolites of old-growth beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) and Norway Spruce (Picea abies L.) trees in a mixed forest stand. Plant Biology 9: 227–241. , , , , .
- 2005. Assessing the future global impacts of ozone on vegetation. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 949–964. .
- 2004. New directions: a new generation of ozone critical levels for the protection of vegetation in Europe. Atmospheric Environment 38: 2213–2214. , , , .
- 2007. Flux-based response of sucrose and starch in leaves of adult beech trees (Fagus sylvatica L.) under chronic free-air O3 fumigation. Plant Biology 9: 207–214. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of ozone exposure on growth and photosynthesis of beach seedlings (Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 146: 271–280. , , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 25: 129–146. , , .
- 2005. Europe-wide reduction in primary productivity caused by the heat and drought in 2003. Nature 437: 529–533. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Modelling ozone effects on adult beech trees through simulation of defence, damage, and repair costs: implementation of the CASIROZ ozone model in the ANAFORE forest model. Plant Biology 9: 320–330. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Photoprotection in an ecological context: the remarkable complexity of thermal energy dissipation. New Phytologist 172: 11–21. , .
- 1994. Ozone-induced changes in primary carbon metabolism enzymes of loblolly-pine needles. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 300–306. , , , .
- 2010. Applied missing data analysis. New York, NY, USA & London, UK: The Guilford Press. .
- 2000. Photoprotective responses to winter stress in evergreen Mediterranean ecosystems. Plant Biology 2: 530–535. , , .
- 2009. Within-canopy and ozone fumigation effects on δ13C and Δ18O in adult beech (Fagus sylvatica) trees: relation to meteorological and gas exchange parameters. Tree Physiology 29: 1349–1365. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Hikes in surface ozone could suffocate crops. Nature 435: 7. .
- 2006. Relative importance for linear regression in R: the package relaimpo. Journal of Statistical Software 17: 1–27. .
- 2007a. Effects of long-term free-air ozone fumigation on δ15N and total N in Fagus sylvatica and associated mycorrhizal fungi. Plant Biology 9: 242–252. , , , , , .
- 2007b. Antioxidative defence of old growth beech (Fagus sylvatica) under double ambient O3 concentrations in a free-air exposure system. Plant Biology 9: 215–226. , , , , .
- 2008. Modification of the biochemical pathways of plants induced by ozone: what are the varied routes to change? Environmental Pollution 155: 453–463. .
- 2009. Temporal processes that contribute to nonlinearity in vegetation responses to ozone exposure and dose. Atmospheric Environment 43: 2919–2928. , , .
- 2007. Methodenentwicklung zum kleinräumigen Ozonmonitoring in einem 60jährigen Buche-Fichten-Mischbestand unter doppelt ambienter Ozonexposition. PhD thesis, Technische Universität München, München, Germany. .
- 2007. Gas exchange and antioxidative compounds in young beech trees under free-air ozone exposure and comparisons to adult trees. Plant Biology 9: 288–297. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Tansley review no 95. 15N natural abundance in soil-plant systems. New Phytologist 137: 179–203. .
- IPCC. 2007. Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt K, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge, UK & New York, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2007. Tree internal signalling and defence reactions under ozone exposure in sun and shade leaves of European Beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) trees. Plant Biology 9: 253–264. , , , , , .
- 1992. Applied multivariate statistical analysis. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA: Prentice-Hall. , .
- 2004. A cumulative ozone uptake-response relationship for the growth of Norway spruce saplings. Environmental Pollution 128: 405–417. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Scaling ozone responses of forest trees to the ecosystem level in a changing climate. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 965–981. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Tropospheric O3 moderates responses of temperate hardwood forests to elevated CO2: a synthesis of molecular to ecosystem results from the Aspen FACE project. Functional Ecology 17: 289–304. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Influence of nitrogen source and concentration on nitrogen isotopic discrimination in two barley genotypes (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1431–1440. , .
- 2007. Shift in birch metabolome and carbon allocation during long-term open-field ozone exposure. Global Change Biology 13: 1053–1067. , , , .
- 2011. Quantifying the effects of ozone on plant reproductive growth and development. Global Change Biology 18: 606–616. , .
- 2007. O3 flux-related responsiveness of photosynthesis, respiration and stomatal conductance of adult Fagus sylvatica to experimentally enhanced free-air O3 exposure. Plant Biology 9: 197–206. , , , .
- 2006. Extraordinary drought of 2003 overrules ozone impact on adult beech trees (Fagus sylvatica). Trees-Structure and Function 20: 539–548. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Detecting plant effects is necessary to give biological significance to ambient ozone monitoring data and predictive ozone standards. Environmental Pollution 126: 375–379. .
- 2007a. Synopsis of the CASIROZ case study: carbon sink strength of Fagus sylvatica L. in a changing environment – experimental risk assessment of mitigation by chronic ozone impact. Plant Biology 9: 163–180. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007b. Promoting the O3 flux concept for European forest trees. Environmental Pollution 146: 587–607. , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Advances in understanding ozone impact on forest trees: messages from novel phytotron and free-air fumigation studies. Environmental Pollution 158: 1990–2006. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Drought stress in the presence of O3 impact on forest trees. Plant Biology 8: 11–17. , , , , , .
- 2003. Impact of ozone on trees: an ecophysiological perspective. Progress in Botany 64: 349–404. , .
- 2008. The challenge of making ozone risk assessment for forest trees more mechanistic. Environmental Pollution 156: 567–582. , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Enhanced ozone strongly reduces carbon sink strength of adult beech (Fagus sylvatica) – Resume from the free-air fumigation study at Kranzberg Forest. Environmental Pollution 158: 2527–2532. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A critical review and analysis of the use of exposure- and flux-based ozone indices for predicting vegetation effects. Atmospheric Environment 40: 1869–1888. , , , .
- 2005. On the different sensitivity of white clover clones to ozone: physiological and biochemical parameters in a multivariate approach. Water Air and Soil Pollution 164: 137–153. , , , .
- 2005. Response patterns in adult forest trees to chronic ozone stress: identification of variations and consistencies. Environmental Pollution 136: 365–369. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Northern environment predisposes birches to ozone damage. Plant Biology 9: 191–196. , , , , , .
- 2007. Suitability of a combined stomatal conductance and photosynthesis model for calculation of leaf-level ozone fluxes. Plant Biology 9: 331–341. , , , .
- 2010. Tree and stand growth of mature Norway spruce and European beech under long-term ozone fumigation. Environmental Pollution 158: 1061–1070. , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2004. Scaling up from molecular to ecological processes. In: Sandermann H, eds. Molecular ecotoxicology of plant. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany & New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 207–226. , .
- 2007. Indirect radiative forcing of climate change through ozone effects on the land-carbon sink. Nature 448: 791–794. , , , .
- 2001. Multivariate patterns of biochemical responses of Pinus ponderosa trees at field plots in the San Bernardino mountains, southern California. Tree Physiology 21: 329–336. , , , , .
- 2007. Defense and avoidance of ozone under global change. Environmental Pollution 147: 525–531. , , .
- 2004. The glutathione system as a stress marker in plant ecophysiology: is a stress-response concept valid? Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1955–1962. , , .
- 2002. Drought can be more critical in the shade than in the sun: a field study of carbon gain and photo-inhibition in a Californian shrub during a dry El Niño year. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 749–759. , .
- 2011. MICE: multivariate imputation by chained equations in R. Journal of Statistical Software 45: 1–67. , .
- 2003. Reduction of stem growth and site dependency of leaf injury in Massachusetts black cherries exhibiting ozone symptoms. Environmental Pollution 125: 467–480. , , , .
- 2005. Does rainfall explain variation in leaf morphology and physiology among populations of red ironbark (Eucalyptus sideroxylon subsp. tricarpa) grown in a common garden? Tree Physiology 25: 1369–1378. , , .
- 2002. Free-air fumigation of mature trees: a novel system for controlled ozone enrichment in grown-up beech and spruce canopies. Environmental Science and Pollution Research International 9: 117–121. , .
- 2002. The role of antioxidative defense in determining ozone sensitivity of Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) across tree age: implications for the sun- and shade-crown. Phyton – Annales Rei Botanicae 42: 245–253. , , , , , .
- 2007. Linking ozone uptake and defense towards a mechanistic risk assessment for forest trees. New Phytologist 174: 7–9. , .
- 1995. Diagnosis of damage to Norway spruce (Picea abies) through biochemical criteria. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 375–382. , .
- 2007. Effects of long-term, free-air ozone fumigation on the cytokinin content of mature beech trees. Plant Biology 9: 265–278. , , , .
- 2009. Intra-annual growth response of adult Norway spruce (Picea abies [L.] KARST.) and European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) to an experimentally enhanced, free-air ozone regime. European Journal of Forest Research 128: 135–144. , , , .
- 2009. Quantifying the impact of current and future tropospheric ozone on tree biomass, growth, physiology and biochemistry: a quantitative meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 15: 396–424. , , , , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.