Environmental and stoichiometric controls on microbial carbon-use efficiency in soils
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 79–91, October 2012
How to Cite
Manzoni, S., Taylor, P., Richter, A., Porporato, A. and Ågren, G. I. (2012), Environmental and stoichiometric controls on microbial carbon-use efficiency in soils. New Phytologist, 196: 79–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04225.x
- Issue published online: 24 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2012
- Received: 2 April 2012, Accepted: 30 May 2012
- 1987. Theoretical-analysis of the long-term dynamics of carbon and nitrogen in soils. Ecology 68: 1181–1189. , .
- 1998. Theoretical ecosystem ecology. Understanding element cycles. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2001. Combining theory and experiment to understand effects of inorganic nitrogen on litter decomposition. Oecologia 128: 94–98. , , .
- 2007. What determines the temperature response of soil organic matter decomposition? Soil Biology & Biochemistry 39: 1794–1798. , .
- 2005. Cheaters, diffusion and nutrients constrain decomposition by microbial enzymes in spatially structured environments. Ecology Letters 8: 626–635. .
- 2010. Soil-carbon response to warming dependent on microbial physiology. Nature Geoscience 3: 336–340. , , .
- 1986. Carbon assimilation and microbial activity in soil. Zeitschrift Fur Pflanzenernahrung Und Bodenkunde 149: 457–468. , .
- 2009. Bioavailability of DOC in leachates, soil matrix solutions and soil water extracts from beech forest floors. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 1652–1658. , , .
- 2008. Decomposition of European beech (Fagus sylvatica) litter: combining quality theory and 15N labelling experiments. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 322–333. , , , , .
- 2006. Temperature regulation of bacterial production, respiration, and growth efficiency in a temperate salt-marsh estuary. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 43: 243–254. , , .
- 1984. Energy or nutrient regulation of decomposition – implications for the mineralization immobilization response to perturbations. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 16: 63–67. , .
- 1982. The control of nitrogen turn-over in forest litter. Oikos 39: 143–151. , .
- 2006. Microbial community utilization of added carbon substrates in response to long-term carbon input manipulation. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 2219–2232. , , .
- 2011. Beyond carbon and nitrogen: how the microbial energy economy couples elemental cycles in diverse ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 9: 44–52. , , , .
- 2003. Reduction of forest floor respiration by fertilization on both carbon dioxide-enriched and reference 17-year-old loblolly pine stands. Global Change Biology 9: 849–861. , , , .
- 1999. Patterns in the fate of production in plant communities. American Naturalist 154: 449–468. .
- 1986. Importance of cryptic growth, yield factors and maintenance energy in models of microbial-growth in soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 18: 1–4. , .
- 2007. C : N : P stoichiometry in soil: is there a “Redfield ratio” for the microbial biomass? Biogeochemistry 85: 235–252. , .
- 2011. Temperature and soil organic matter decomposition rates - synthesis of current knowledge and a way forward. Global Change Biology 17: 3392–3404. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Microbial nitrogen limitation increases decomposition. Ecology 88: 2105–2113. , , .
- 2000. Decomposition of rice straw and microbial carbon use efficiency under different soil temperatures and moistures. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 32: 1773–1785. , .
- 2011a. Modeling soil metabolic processes using isotopologue pairs of position-specific 13C-labeled glucose and pyruvate. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 1848–1857. , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Effect of temperature on metabolic activity of intact microbial communities: evidence for altered metabolic pathway activity but not for increased maintenance respiration and reduced carbon use efficiency. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 2023–2031. , , , , , .
- 2011. Feedback from soil inorganic nitrogen on soil organic matter mineralisation and growth in a boreal forest ecosystem. Plant and Soil 338: 193–203. , .
- 2000. Nutritional constraints in terrestrial and freshwater food webs. Nature 408: 578–580. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Feedback of carbon and nitrogen cycles enhances carbon sequestration in the terrestrial biosphere. Global Change Biology 17: 819–842. , , .
- 2011. Rapid peptide metabolism: a major component of soil nitrogen cycling? Global Biogeochemical Cycles 25: GB3014. , , , , , .
- 2003. A proposed mechanism for the pulse in carbon dioxide production commonly observed following the rapid rewetting of a dry soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 67: 798–805. , .
- 2005. Size and functional diversity of microbe populations control plant persistence and long-term soil carbon accumulation. Ecology Letters 8: 1075–1087. , .
- 2011. Optimization of biomass composition explains microbial growth–stoichiometry relationships. American Naturalist 177: E29–E42. , , , , .
- 2003. Pine forest floor carbon accumulation in response to N and PK additions: Bomb C-14 modelling and respiration studies. Ecosystems 6: 644–658. , , , .
- 2001. Protozoan grazing affects estimates of carbon utilization efficiency of the soil microbial community. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 33: 1759–1768. , , , .
- 2006. Threshold elemental ratios of carbon and phosphorus in aquatic consumers. Ecology Letters 9: 774–779. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Are you what you eat? Physiological constraints on organismal stoichiometry in an elementally imbalanced world. Oikos 109: 18–28. , , , , .
- 2012. The Michaelis-Menten kinetics of soil extracellular enzymes in response to temperature: a cross-latitudinal study. Global Change Biology 18: 1468–1479. , , , .
- 2001. Effects of size and temperature on metabolic rate. Science 293: 2248–2251. , , , , .
- 1998. Bacterial growth efficiency in natural aquatic systems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 503–541. , .
- 1988. Biochemical limits to microbial-growth yields. An analysis of mixed substrate utilization. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 32: 86–94. , , , .
- 2006. Interactions between plant growth and soil nutrient cycling under elevated CO2: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 12: 2077–2091. , , , , .
- 1998. Reduced CO2 release from decomposing wheat straw under N-limiting conditions: simulation of carbon turnover. European Journal of Soil Science 49: 487–494. , , .
- 1991. Simulation of nitrogen dynamics and biomass production in winter-wheat using the Danish simulation-model Daisy. Fertilizer Research 27: 245–259. , , , .
- 1994. Dynamics of gross nitrogen transformations in an old-growth forest - the carbon connection. Ecology 75: 880–891. , , , .
- 2008. Dynamics of simple carbon compounds in two forest soils as revealed by soil solution concentrations and biodegradation kinetics. Plant and Soil 310: 11–23. , , .
- 2005. The carbon we do not see – the impact of low molecular weight compounds on carbon dynamics and respiration in forest soils: a review. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37: 1–13. , , , , .
- 2009. Microbial growth efficiencies across a soil moisture gradient assessed using C-13-acetic acid vapor and N-15-ammonia gas. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 1262–1269. , , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. Reduction of forest soil respiration in response to nitrogen deposition. Nature Geoscience 3: 315–322. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Bacterioplankton growth and nutrient use efficiencies under variable organic carbon and inorganic phosphorus ratios. Microbial Ecology 52: 358–364. , , , , .
- 1977. The turnover of soil organic matter in some of the Rothamsted classical experiments. Soil Science 123: 298–305. , .
- 2009. Soil organic nitrogen mineralization across a global latitudinal gradient. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 23: GB1016. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The ICBM family of analytically solved models of soil carbon, nitrogen and microbial biomass dynamics descriptions and application examples. Ecological Modelling 136: 191–207. , .
- 2010. The effect of resource quantity and resource stoichiometry on microbial carbon-use-efficiency. Fems Microbiology Ecology 73: 430–440. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Modeling physiological processes that relate toxicant exposure and bacterial population dynamics. PLoS ONE 7: 1–12. , , , .
- 2007. A conceptual model of organo-mineral interactions in soils: self-assembly of organic molecular fragments into zonal structures on mineral surfaces. Biogeochemistry 85: 9–24. , , .
- 1992. Carbon turnover and nitrogen transformations in an alfisol and vertisol amended with 14C[U]glucose and 15N ammonium sulfate. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 24: 359–371. , , .
- 2008. Carbon sequestration. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 363: 815–830. .
- 1995. Metabolic uncoupling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Thermochimica Acta 251: 99–110. , , , .
- 2007. Resource limitation of bacterial production distorts the temperature dependence of oceanic carbon cycling. Ecology 88: 817–822. , .
- 2008. The global stoichiometry of litter nitrogen mineralization. Science 321: 684–686. , , , .
- 2009. Soil carbon and nitrogen mineralization: theory and models across scales. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 1355–1379. , .
- 2012. Physical vs. physiological controls on water-stress response in soil microbial communities. Ecology 93: 930–938. , , .
- 2010. Stoichiometric controls dynamics on carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus in decomposing litter. Ecological Monographs 80: 89–106. , , , .
- 1983. Ncsoil, a model of nitrogen and carbon transformations in soil – description, calibration, and behavior. Soil Science Society of America Journal 47: 85–91. , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2, litter chemistry, and decomposition: a synthesis. Oecologia 127: 153–165. , , , , .
- 2007. Physical constraints affecting bacterial habitats and activity in unsaturated porous media – a review. Advances in Water Resources 30: 1505–1527. , , , , .
- 1986. An indirect procedure for the estimation of assimilation efficiency of aquatic insects. Freshwater Biology 16: 93–98. , .
- 1995. Microbial growth kinetics. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. .
- 1996. Mechanistic mathematical models of microbial growth in bioreactors and in natural soils: explanation of complex phenomena. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 42: 179–186. .
- 2004. Comparison of five soil organic matter decomposition models using data from a 14C and 15N labeling field experiment. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: GB4022. , , , .
- 1989. Microbial utilization of carbon-14 glucose in aerbic vs. anaerobic denitrifying soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 53: 1082–1085. , .
- 1987. Analysis of factors controlling soil organic-matter levels in Great-Plains grasslands. Soil Science Society of America Journal 51: 1173–1179. , , , .
- 1970. Energy yields and growth of heterotrophs. Annual Review of Microbiology 24: 17–52. .
- 2005. Comparison of temperature effects on soil respiration and bacterial and fungal growth rates. Fems Microbiology Ecology 52: 49–58. , , .
- 2004. Temperature dependence of metabolic rates for microbial growth, maintenance, and survival. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 4631–4636. , .
- 2010. Nitrogen fertilization inhibits soil microbial respiration regardless of the form of nitrogen applied. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 2336–2338. , , .
- 1992. Changes in C-storage by terrestrial ecosystems – how C–N interactions restrict responses to CO2 and temperature. Water Air and Soil Pollution 64: 327–344. , , , .
- 1982. Relationship between temperature and growth rate of bacterial cultures. Journal of Bacteriology 149: 1–5. , , , .
- 2006. Soil microbial loop and nutrient uptake by plants: a test using a coupled C : N model of plant-microbial interactions. Plant and Soil 287: 95–116. , , .
- 1995. Soil inorganic N availability: effect on maize residue decomposition. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 27: 1529–1538. , , , .
- 2001. Biogenic carbon cycling in the upper ocean: effects of microbial respiration. Science 291: 2398–2400. , .
- 1997. Modelling temperature and moisture effects on C–N transformations in soils: comparison of nine models. Ecological Modelling 102: 325–339. , , , .
- 1980. Application of macroscopic principles to microbial metabolism. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 22: 2457–2514. .
- 2011. Growth of saprotrophic fungi and bacteria in soil. Fems Microbiology Ecology 78: 17–30. , .
- 1995. Energetics of bacterial-growth – balance of anabolic and catabolic reactions. Microbiological Reviews 59: 48–62. , .
- 2004. Short-term partitioning of 14C-[U]-glucose in the soil microbial pool under varied aeration status. Biology and Fertility of Soils 40: 386–392. , , , , .
- 2005. A conceptual framework for ecosystem stoichiometry: balancing resource supply and demand. Oikos 109: 40–51. , , , , , .
- 1988. Calculation of microbial-growth efficiency from 15N immobilization. Biogeochemistry 6: 239–243. .
- 2007. Microbial stress-response physiology and its implications for ecosystem function. Ecology 88: 1386–1394. , , .
- 2003. The implications of exoenzyme activity on microbial carbon and nitrogen limitation in soil: a theoretical model. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 35: 549–563. , .
- 1996. Metabolic efficiency and turnover of soil microbial communities in biodegradation tests. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 2411–2415. , .
- 2009. Ecoenzymatic stoichiometry of microbial organic nutrient acquisition in soil and sediment. Nature 462: 795–798. , , .
- 2006. Bacterial and fungal contributions to carbon sequestration in agroecosystems. Soil Science Society of America Journal 70: 555–569. , , , .
- 1996. Stabilization and destabilization of soil organic matter: mechanisms and controls. Geoderma 74: 65–105. , , .
- 2008. Patterns of substrate utilization during long-term incubations at different temperatures. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 2722–2728. , , , , .
- 1997. Modelling interactions of food quality and quantity in homeostatic consumers. Freshwater Biology 38: 473–481. .
- 2002. Ecological stoichiometry. The biology of elements from molecules to the biosphere. Princeton, NJ, USA & Oxford, UK: Princeton University Press. , .
- 2006. Do growth yield efficiencies differ between soil microbial communities differing in fungal: bacterial ratios? Reality check and methodological issues. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 837–844. , , .
- 2011. Changes in variability of soil moisture alter microbial community C and N resource use. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 1837–1847. , .
- 2007. A kinetic inhibition mechanism for maintenance. Journal of Theoretical Biology 244: 576–587. , , .
- 1990. Modeling organic-matter dynamics in different soils. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 38: 221–238. , , , , .
- 2004. Microbial community utilization of recalcitrant and simple carbon compounds: impact of oak-woodland plant communities. Oecologia 138: 275–284. , .
- 2011. Quality or decomposer efficiency – which is most important in the temperature response of litter decomposition? A modelling study using the GLUE methodology. Biogeosciences 8: 477–487. , .
- 1999. Modeling of overflow metabolism in batch and fed-batch cultures of Escherichia coli. Biotechnology Progress 15: 81–90. , , .
- 2011. Terrestrial C:N stoichiometry in response to elevated CO2 and N addition: a synthesis of two meta-analyses. Plant and Soil 343: 393–400. , , , , .
- 2011. Soil nitrogen status as a regulator of carbon substrate flows through microbial communities with elevated CO2. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 116: G01011. , .
- 2005. Tracking the fate and recycling of 13C-labeled glucose in soil. Soil Science 170: 767–778. , , , .