These authors contributed equally to this work.
Functional characterization of the rice SPX-MFS family reveals a key role of OsSPX-MFS1 in controlling phosphate homeostasis in leaves
Article first published online: 17 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 139–148, October 2012
How to Cite
Wang, C., Huang, W., Ying, Y., Li, S., Secco, D., Tyerman, S., Whelan, J. and Shou, H. (2012), Functional characterization of the rice SPX-MFS family reveals a key role of OsSPX-MFS1 in controlling phosphate homeostasis in leaves. New Phytologist, 196: 139–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04227.x
- Issue published online: 24 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 17 JUL 2012
- Received: 5 April 2012, Accepted: 3 June 2012
- 2004. Structural comparison of lactose permease and the glycerol-3-phosphate antiporter: members of the major facilitator superfamily. Current Opinion Structure Biology 14: 413–419. , , .
- 2006. PHO2, microRNA399, and PHR1 define a phosphate-signaling pathway in plants. Plant Physiology 141: 988–999. , , , .
- 2010. A central regulatory system largely controls transcriptional activation and repression responses to phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics 6: 9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The WRKY6 transcription factor modulates PHOSPHATE1 expression in response to low Pi stress in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 3554–3566. , , , , , .
- 2007. BHLH32 modulates several biochemical and morphological processes that respond to Pi starvation in Arabidopsis. Biochemistry Journal 405: 191–198. , , , .
- 2011. Signaling network in sensing phosphate availability in plants. Annual Review Plant Biology 62: 185–206. , .
- 2012. OsMYB2P-1, a R2R3 MYB transcription factor, is involved in regulation of phosphate-starvation responses and root architecture in rice. Plant Physiology 159: 169–183. , , , .
- 2007a. WRKY75 transcription factor is a modulator of phosphate acquisition and root development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 143: 1789–1801. , , .
- 2009. Phosphate starvation responses and gibberellic acid biosynthesis are regulated by the MYB62 transcription factor in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 2: 43–58. , , , .
- 2007b. Phosphate homeostasis and root development in Arabidopsis are synchronized by the zinc finger transcription factor ZAT6. Plant Physiology 145: 147–159. , , .
- 2008. Characterization of a sub-family of Arabidopsis genes with the SPX domain reveals their diverse functions in plant tolerance to phosphorus starvation. The Plant Journal 54: 965–975. , , , , , .
- 2008. The global phosphorus cycle: past, present, and future. Elements 4: 89–95. .
- 2011. Differential roles for the low-affinity phosphate transporters Pho87 and Pho90 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry Journal 434: 243–251. , , , , .
- 2002. Identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis PHO1 gene involved in phosphate loading to the xylem. Plant Cell 14: 889–902. , , , , .
- 2009. Uncovering small RNA-mediated responses to phosphate deficiency in Arabidopsis by deep sequencing. Plant Physiology 151: 2120–2132. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The SPX domain of the yeast low-affinity phosphate transporter Pho90 regulates transport activity. EMBO Report 10: 1003–1008. , , , , .
- 2007. Pho91 Is a vacuolar phosphate transporter that regulates phosphate and polyphosphate metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular Biology Cell 18: 4438–4445. , , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2011. Genetic regulation by NLA and microRNA827 for maintaining nitrate-dependent phosphate homeostasis in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics 7: e1002021. , , .
- 2004. The structural basis of substrate translocation by the Escherichia coli glycerol-3-phosphate transporter: a member of the major facilitator superfamily. Current Opinion Structure Biology 14: 405–412. , , .
- 2010. Complex regulation of two target genes encoding SPX-MFS proteins by rice miR827 in response to phosphate starvation. Plant Cell Physiology 51: 2119–2131. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. OsSPX1 suppresses the function of OsPHR2 in the regulation of expression of OsPT2 and phosphate homeostasis in shoots of rice. The Plant Journal 62: 508–517. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Stress-responsive microRNAs in Populus. The Plant Journal 55: 131–151. , , .
- 1998. Identification, cloning and characterization of a derepressible Na+-coupled phosphate transporter in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular Genomic Genetics 258: 628–638. , .
- 2007. Increased expression of the MYB-related transcription factor, PHR1, leads to enhanced phosphate uptake in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell & Environment 30: 1499–1512. , , .
- 2006. A protocol for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation in rice. Nature Protocol 1: 2796–2802. , , .
- 2009. Genome-wide analysis reveals rapid and dynamic changes in miRNA and siRNA sequence and expression during ovule and fiber development in allotetraploid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Genome Biology 10: R122. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of nutrient-responsive Arabidopsis and rapeseed microRNAs by comprehensive real-time polymerase chain reaction profiling and small RNA sequencing. Plant Physiology 150: 1541–1555. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Major facilitator superfamily. Microbiology Molecular Biology Review 62: 1–34. , , .
- 2007. A mutation in NLA, which encodes a RING-type ubiquitin ligase, disrupts the adaptability of Arabidopsis to nitrogen limitation. The Plant Journal 50: 320–337. , , , , .
- 2004. Low affinity orthophosphate carriers regulate PHO gene expression independently of internal orthophosphate concentration in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal Biology Chemistry 279: 35 273–35 280. , , , .
- 2009. Phosphate (Pi) starvation effect on the cytosolic Pi concentration and Pi exchanges across the tonoplast in plant cells: an in vivo 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance study using methylphosphonate as a Pi analog. Plant Physiology 151: 1646–1657. , , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of phosphate starvation responses in plants: signaling players and cross-Ttlks. Molecular Plant 3: 288–299. , , .
- 2001. A conserved MYB transcription factor involved in phosphate starvation signaling both in vascular plants and in unicellular algae. Genes Development 15: 2122–2133. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nutrient sensing and signaling: NPKS. Annual Review Plant Biology 58: 47–69. , .
- 2010. Characterization of the Rice PHO1 gene family reveals a key role for OsPHO1;2 in phosphate homeostasis and the evolution of a distinct clade in dicotyledons. Plant Physiology 152: 1693–1704. , , .
- 2012a. The emerging importance of the SPX domain-containing proteins in phosphate homeostasis. New Phytologist 193: 842–851. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012b. Phosphate homeostasis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the key role of the SPX domain-containing proteins. FEBS Letters 586: 289–295. , , , .
- 2007. Members of the PHO1 gene family show limited functional redundancy in phosphate transfer to the shoot, and are regulated by phosphate deficiency via distinct pathways. The Plant Journal 50: 982–994. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Short on phosphate: plant surveillance and countermeasures. Trends in Plant Science 9: 548–555. , .
- 2009. Involvement of OsSPX1 in phosphate homeostasis in rice. The Plant Journal 57: 895–904. , , , , , .
- 2007. Positive feedback regulates switching of phosphate transporters in S. cerevisiae. Molecular Cell 27: 1005–1013. , , , , .
- 2009. Characterization and expression profiles of miRNAs in rice seeds. Nucleic Acids Research 37: 916–930. , , .
- 2008. BAH1/NLA, a RING-type ubiquitin E3 ligase, regulates the accumulation of salicylic acid and immune responses to Pseudomonas syringae DC3000. Plant Physiology 148: 1032–1041. , .
- 2005. OsPTF1, a novel transcription factor involved in tolerance to phosphate starvation in rice. Plant Physiology 138: 2087–2096. , , , , , , .
- 1976. Laboratory manual for physiological studies of rice, 3rd edn . Manila, The Philippines: The International Rice Research Institute. , , , .
- 2009. A genome-wide characterization of microRNA genes in maize. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000716. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Nicotianamine, a novel enhancer of rice iron bioavailability to humans. PLoS ONE 5: e10190. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. OsPHR2 is involved in phosphate-starvation signaling and excessive phosphate accumulation in shoots of plants. Plant Physiology 146: 1673–1686. , , , , , , , .