Stoichiometric patterns in foliar nutrient resorption across multiple scales
Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2012
No claim to original US government works. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 173–180, October 2012
How to Cite
Reed, S. C., Townsend, A. R., Davidson, E. A. and Cleveland, C. C. (2012), Stoichiometric patterns in foliar nutrient resorption across multiple scales. New Phytologist, 196: 173–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04249.x
- Issue online: 24 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2012
- Received: 9 April 2012, Accepted: 18 June 2012
- 1990. Nutrient use efficiency in evergreen and deciduous species from heathlands. Oecologia 84: 391–397. .
- 1996. Nutrient resorption from senescing leaves of perennials: are there general patterns? Journal of Ecology 84: 597–608. .
- 1997. Climate, leaf litter chemistry and leaf litter decomposition in terrestrial ecosystems: a triangular relationship. Oikos 79: 439–449. .
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 1–67. , .
- 2007. Climate change has only a minor impact on nutrient resorption parameters in a high-latitude peatland. Oecologia 151: 132–139. , , , .
- 1987. Nitrogen-use-efficiency: a biologically meaningful definition? Functional Ecology 1: 293–296. , .
- 2005. Unexpected dominance of parent material strontium in a tropical forest on highly weathered soils. Ecology 86: 626–632. , , .
- 1988. The geology, geochemistry and emplacement of the Cretaceous Tertiary ophiolitic Nicoya complex of the Osa Peninsula, southern Costa Rica. Tectonophysics 147: 193–199. , .
- 1994. Accumulation and use of nitrogen and phosphorus following fertilization in two alpine tundra communities. Oikos 70: 261–270. .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 1989. Differences in growth and nutrient use among arctic plant growth forms. Functional Ecology 3: 73–80. , .
- 1977. Internal cycling of 15nitrogen in shortgrass prairie. Ecology 58: 1322–1333. .
- 2006. Nutrient additions to a tropical rain forest drive substantial carbon dioxide losses to the atmosphere. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 10316–10321. , .
- 2011. Relationships among net primary productivity, nutrients and climate in tropical rain forest: a pan-tropical analysis. Ecology Letters 14: 1313–1317. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Relationships between carbon turnover and bioavailable energy fluxes in two temperate forest soils. Global Change Biology 9: 919–929. .
- 2012. The Amazon basin in transition. Nature 481: 321–328. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Recuperation of nitrogen cycling in Amazonian forests following agricultural abandonment. Nature 447: 995–998. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Processes regulating soil emissions of NO and N2O in a seasonally dry tropical forest. Ecology 74: 130–139. , , , , .
- 2007. Global analysis of nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of primary producers in freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Ecology Letters 10: 1135–1142. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrogen resorption from needles of Pinus thunbergii Parl. growing along a topographic gradient of soil nutrient availability. Ecological Research 14: 1–8. , .
- 2002. Leaf senescence and resorption as mechanisms of maximizing photosynthetic production during canopy development at N limitation. Functional Ecology 16: 727–733. , .
- 1976. Organic matter and nutrient dynamics of the forest and the forest floor in the Hubbard Brook Forest. Oecologia 22: 305–320. , , .
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester, UK: Wiley. .
- 2004. N : P ratios in terrestrial plants: variation and functional significance. New Phytologist 164: 243–266. .
- 2003. Variation in nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations of wetland plants. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 5: 37–61. , .
- 2002. Time-dependent effects of fertilization in Dutch floating fens. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 705–718. , , .
- 2011. Nutrient co-limitation of primary producer communities. Ecology Letters 14: 852–862. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Dinitrogen-fixing Acacia species from phosphorus-impoverished soils resorb leaf phosphorus efficiently. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 2060–2070. , , , .
- 2009. The nitrogen paradox in tropical forest ecosystems. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 40: 613–635. , , , .
- 2003. Nutrient losses over four million years of tropical forest development. Ecology 84: 2231–2255. , , .
- 1971. Forest environments in tropical life zones: a pilot study. Oxford, UK: Oxford Pergamon Press. , , , , .
- 2004. CO2 elicits long-term decline in nitrogen fixation. Science 304: 1291. , , , , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient concentrations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2007. Soil nutrients influence spatial distributions of tropical tree species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 864–869. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Ecosystems of the Osa Conservation Area (ACOSA). Santo Domingo de Heredia, Costa Rica: Instituto Nacional Biodiversidad (INBio). , , , , .
- 1984. Nitrogen and phosphorus resorption dynamics of five tree species in a Kansas gallery forest. American Midland Naturalist 111: 155–164. .
- 1996. Nutrients in senesced leaves: keys to the search for potential resorption and resorption proficiency. Ecology 77: 1716–1727. .
- 1990. Foliar senescence in an aspen (Populus tremuloides) clone: the response of element resorption to interramet variation and timing of abscission. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 1156–1164. , , .
- 2004. Soil phosphorus fractionation and phosphorus-use efficiency of a Bornean tropical montane rain forest during soil aging with podzolization. Ecosystems 2004: 259–274. , , , , .
- 2005. Resorption efficiency decreases with increasing green leaf nutrients in a global dataset. Ecology 86: 2780–2792. , , .
- 1996. The vegetation N:P ratio: a new tool to detect the nature of nutrient limitation. Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 1441–1450. , .
- 1996. Phosphorus. In: Sparks DL, ed. Methods of soil analysis. Part 3: chemical methods. Madison, WI, USA: Soil Society of America, 3. .
- 1988. The effect of varying nitrogen and phosphorus availability on nutrient use by Larrea tridentata, a desert evergreen shrub. Oecologia 75: 348–353. , .
- 2006. Root structure and functioning for efficient acquisition of phosphorus: matching morphological and physiological traits. Annals of Botany 98: 693–713. , , , , .
- 2008. Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial ecosystems is globally distributed. Ecology 89: 371–379. , .
- 1999. Nitrogen stable isotopic composition of leaves and soil: tropical versus temperate forests. Biogeochemistry 46: 45–65. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of preventing nutrient resorption on plant fitness and foliar nutrient dynamics. Ecology 73: 1868–1878. , .
- 2004. Scaling of C:N:P stoichiometry in forests worldwide: implications of terrestrial redfield-type ratios. Ecology 85: 2390–2401. , , .
- 1982. Nitrogen and lignin control of hardwood leaf litter decomposition dynamics. Ecology 63: 621–626. , , .
- 1995. The influence of stand development on nutrient demand, growth and allocation. Plant and Soil 168–169: 225–232. .
- 1994. Planetary metabolism: understanding the carbon-cycle. Ambio 23: 4–12. , .
- 2006. Nitrogen uptake, distribution, turnover, and efficiency of use in a CO2-enriched sweetgum forest. Ecology 87: 5–14. , .
- 2000. Nitrogen resorption in senescing tree leaves in a warmer, CO2-enriched atmosphere. Plant and Soil 224: 15–29. , , , .
- 1961. Organic matter and nutrient cycles under moist tropical forest. Plant and Soil 13: 333–345. .
- 2003. Nutrient conservation increases with latitude of origin in European Pinus sylvestris populations. Oecologia 136: 220–235. , , , , .
- 2008. A global study of relationships between leaf traits, climate and soil measurements of nutrient fertility. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 137–149. , , , , , .
- 2010. Foliar nitrogen and phosphorus accumulation responses after fertilization: an example from nutrient-limited Hawaiian forests. Plant and Soil 334: 85–98. .
- 2008. Trait differences between grass species along a climatic gradient in South and North America. Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 183–192. , , , , .
- 1993. Controls over nutrient resorption from leaves of evergreen Mediterranean species. Ecology 74: 124–129. , .
- 2007. Controls over leaf litter and soil nitrogen fixation in two lowland tropical rain forests. Biotropica 39: 585–592. , , .
- 2008. Tree species control rates of free-living nitrogen fixation in a tropical rain forest. Ecology 89: 2924–2934. , , .
- 2011a. Functional ecology of free-living nitrogen fixation: a contemporary perspective. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 42: 489–512. , , .
- 2011b. Are patterns in nutrient limitation belowground consistent with those aboveground: results from a 4 million year chronosequence. Biogeochemistry 106: 323–336. , , .
- 2011. Taking stock of forest carbon. Nature Climate Change 1: 346–347. .
- 2004. Global patterns of plant leaf N and P in relation to temperature and latitude. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 11001–11006. , .
- 2008. Shifts in leaf N:P ratio during resorption reflect soil P in temperate rainforest. Functional Ecology 22: 738–745. , , .
- 2004. Rapid development of phosphorus limitation in temperate rainforest along the Franz Josef soil chronosequence. Oecologia 139: 267–276. , , , , .
- 1999. Soil carbon and nitrogen availability: nitrogen mineralization and soil respiration potentials. In: Robertson GP, Coleman DC, Bledsoe CS, Sollins P, eds. Standard methods of long-term ecological research. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press, 258–271. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Factors influencing species composition in tropical lowland rain forest: does soil matter? Ecology 79: 23–30. .
- 1975. Methods of studying forest ecosystems: leaf area, leaf production, and withdrawal of nutrients from leaves of trees. Ekologia Polska 23: 637–648. , .
- 2003. Use of nitrogen to phosphorus ratios in plant tissue as an indicator of nutrient limitation and nitrogen saturation. Journal of Applied Ecology 40: 523–534. , .
- 2009. Carbon–nitrogen interactions regulate climate–carbon cycle feedbacks: results from an atmosphere–ocean general circulation model. Biogeosciences 6: 2099–2120. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Controls over foliar N:P ratios in tropical rain forests. Ecology 88: 107–118. , , , .
- 2011. Multi-element regulation of the tropical forest carbon cycle. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 9: 9–17. , , , , .
- 1977. Effects of nitrogen availability on nitrogen cycling in a Douglas fir stand. Forest Science 23: 307–316. .
- 2003a. Current measures of nutrient resorption efficiency lead to a substantial underestimation of real resorption efficiency: facts and solutions. Oikos 101: 664–669. , , .
- 2003b. Nitrogen and phosphorus resorption efficiency and proficiency in six sub-arctic bog species after 4 years of nitrogen fertilization. Journal of Ecology 91: 1060–1070. , , .
- 2012. Global resorption efficiencies and concentrations of carbon and nutrients in leaves of terrestrial plants. Ecological Monographs 82: 205–220. , , , , .
- 1982. Nutrient cycling and nutrient use efficiency. American Naturalist 119: 553–572. .
- 2000. Heterotrophic nitrogen fixation in decomposing litter: patterns, mechanisms, and models. Ecology 75: 418–429. , .
- 1984. Litterfall, nutrient cycling, and nutrient limitations in tropical forests. Ecology 65: 285–298. .
- 1998. Foliar and litter nutrients, nutrient resorption, and decomposition in the Hawaiian Metrosideros polymorpha. Ecosystems 1: 401–407. .
- 1997. Nutrient limitation and soil development: experimental test of a biogeochemical theory. Biogeochemistry 37: 63–75. , .
- 2010. Terrestrial phosphorus limitation: mechanisms, implications and nitrogen–phosphorus interactions. Ecological Applications 20: 5–15. , , , .
- 1986. Nutrient cycling in moist tropical forests. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 17: 137–167. , .
- 2009. Controls over leaf litter decomposition in wet tropical forests. Ecology 90: 3333–3341. , , .
- 2012. Tropical forest carbon balance in a warmer world: a critical review spanning microbial-to-ecosystem-scale processes. Biological Reviews. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-185X.2012.00232.x , , .
- 2009. Global-scale patterns of nutrient resorption associated with latitude, temperature and precipitation. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 11–18. , .