Masting in whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) depletes stored nutrients
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 189–199, October 2012
How to Cite
Sala, A., Hopping, K., McIntire, E. J. B., Delzon, S. and Crone, E. E. (2012), Masting in whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) depletes stored nutrients. New Phytologist, 196: 189–199. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04257.x
- Issue online: 24 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
- Received: 28 April 2012, Accepted: 25 June 2012
- 1998. Annual and seasonal patterns of litter-fall of hard beech Nothofagus truncata and silver beech Nothofagus menziesii in relation to reproduction. New Zealand Journal of Botany 36: 453–464. , , , .
- 1994. A dynamic perspective on the physiological cost of reproduction in plants. American Naturalist 144: 300–316. .
- 2008. Mixed-effects modeling with crossed random effects for subjects and items. Journal of Memory and Language 59: 390–412. , , .
- 1993. Constraints of nutrient availability on primary production in two alpine tundra communities. Ecology 74: 2085–2097. , , , .
- 1995. Alternate bearing influences annual nutrient consumption and the total nutrient content of mature pistachio trees. Trees – Structure and Function 9: 158–164. , , .
- 2000. Succession may maintain high leaf area: sapwood ratios and productivity in old subalpine forests. Ecosystems 3: 254–268. , , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 1991. Costs of reproduction in Nyssa sylvatica: sexual dimorphism in reproductive frequency and nutrient flux. Oecologia 86: 585–593. , .
- 2011. What defines mast-seeding? Spatiotemporal patterns of cone production by whitebark pine. Journal of Ecology 99: 438–444. , , .
- 2009. How do plants know when other plants are flowering? Resource depletion pollen limitation and mast-seeding in a perennial wildflower. Ecology Letters 11: 1119–1126. , , .
- 1997. Climate influences on growth and reproduction of Pinus banksiana Pinaceaee at the limit of the species distribution in eastern North America. American Journal of Botany 84: 928–937. , .
- 2001. Storage and the delayed costs of reproduction in the understorey perennial Lathyrus vernus. Journal of Ecology 89: 237–246. , .
- 1982. The carbohydrate balance of alternate bearing citrus trees and the significance of reserves for flowering and fruiting. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 107: 206–208. , .
- 2008. Masting in Fagus crenata and its influence on the nitrogen content and dry mass of winter buds. Tree Physiology 28: 1269–1276. , , , .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1998. Somatic cost of reproduction in eight subarctic plant species. Oikos 82: 149–157. , .
- 1998. Annual variability in seed production by woody plants and the masting concept: reassessment of principles and relationship to pollination and seed dispersal. American Naturalist 152: 576–594. , , , .
- 2009. Mapping whitebark pine mortality caused by a mountain pine beetle outbreak with high spatial resolution satellite imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing 30: 4427–4441. , .
- 2005. Fruit-bearing branchlets are carbon autonomous in mature broad-leaved temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 651–659. .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2005. How does Dryobalanops aromatica supply carbohydrate resources for reproduction in a masting year? Trees 19: 703–710. , , , , .
- 1997. How does masting happen and synchronize? Journal of Theoretical Biology 187: 231–239. , , , .
- 1974. Tropical blackwater rivers animals and mast fruiting by the Dipterocarpaceae. Biotropica 6: 69–103. .
- 1994. The significance of internal nutrient cycling in branches for growth and reproduction of Rhododendron lapponicum. Oikos 70: 191–200. .
- 1994. Evolutionary ecology of mast seeding. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 465–470. .
- 2002. Mast seeding in perennial plants: why how and where? Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 427–447. , .
- 2007. A negative correlation does not imply a tradeoff between growth and reproduction in California oaks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 16,982–16,985. , , .
- 2003. Dissecting components of population-level variation in seed production and the evolution of masting behavior. Oikos 102: 581–591. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 1994. Nutritive value of whitebark pine seeds and the question of their variable dormancy. In: Schmidt WC, Holtmeier F-K, compilers. Proceedings-International workshop on subalpine stone pines and their environment: the status of our knowledge. USDA Forest Service INT-GTR-309, 206–221. , .
- 1988. Modules of production and reproduction in a dioecious clonal shrub Rhus typhina. Ecology 69: 741–750. , .
- 2001. Modelling the masting behaviour of Betula platyphylla var japonica using the resource budget model. Annals of Botany 88: 1049–1055. , .
- 2001. The natural regeneration process. In: Tomback DF, Arno SF, Keane RE, eds. Whitebark pine communities: ecology and restoration. Washington, DC: Island Press, 105–120. , .
- 2000. Carbon and nitrogen allocation to male and female reproduction in Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii var glauca Pinaceae. American Journal of Botany 87: 539–546. , , , .
- 2007. Environmental change and carbon limitation in trees: a biochemical ecophysiological and ecosystem appraisal. New Phytologist 175: 11–28. , , .
- 2002. Allocation of resources to reproduction in Styrax obassia in a masting year. Annals of Botany 89: 767–772. , , , .
- 1997. Phosphorus dynamics in a lowland African rain forest: the influence of ectomycorrhizal trees. Ecological Monographs 67: 367–409. , , .
- 2006. Mast fruiting of large ectomycorrhizal African rain forest trees: importance of dry season intensity and the resource-limitation hypothesis. New Phytologist 170: 561–579. , , .
- 1991. Direct and delayed costs of reproduction in Aesculus californica. Journal of Ecology 79: 365–378. .
- 1997. Costs of reproduction in Ilex aquifolium: effects at tree branch and leaf levels. Journal of Ecology 85: 159–166. .
- 1998. Effects of defoliation and girdling on fruit production in Ilex aquifolium. Functional Ecology 12: 486–491. .
- 2002. The costs of reproduction in plants. New Phytologist 155: 321–348. .
- 2004. Pinus albicaulis seedling regeneration after fire. PhD thesis, The University of Montana, Missoula, USA. .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. URL http://wwwR-projectorg.
- 1985. Phenological patterns of terrestrial plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 179–214. , .
- 1987a. Reproductive effort in plants. I. Carbon allocation to reproduction. American Naturalist 129: 876–896. , .
- 1987b. Reproductive effort in plants. II Does carbon reflect the allocation of other resources? American Naturalist 129: 897–906. , .
- 2002. Snow tussocks, chaos, and the evolution of mast seeding. American Naturalist 160: 44–59. , , .
- 2009. Controls on declining carbon balance with leaf age among 10 woody species in Australian woodland: do leaves have zero daily net carbon balances when they die? New Phytologist 183: 153–166. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Cost of reproduction: an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44: 257–267. .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. .
- 1998. Alternate bearing affects nitrogen phosphorus potassium and starch storage pools in mature pistachio trees. Annals of Botany 82: 463–470. , , .
- 2006. Hydraulic compensation in Northern Rocky Mountain conifers: does successional position and life history matter? Oecologia 149: 1–11. .
- 2001. Water use by whitebark pine and subalpine fir: consequences of fire suppression in subalpine forests. Tree Physiology 21: 717–725. , , , .
- 2011. Carbon storage in trees: does relative carbon supply decrease with tree size? In: Meinzer FC, Lachenbruch B, Dawson TE, eds. Size- and age-related changes in tree structure and function. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 287–306. , , .
- 2009. Height-related growth declines in ponderosa pine are not due to carbon limitation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 22–30. , .
- 2009. Recent unprecedented tree-ring growth in bristlecone pine at the highest elevations and possible causes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 20,348–20,353. , , , .
- 2008. A resource budget model to explain intraspecific variation in mast reproductive dynamics. Ecological Research 23: 3–10. , .
- 2000. Pollen coupling of forest trees: forming synchronized and periodic reproduction out of chaos. Journal of Theoretical Biology 203: 63–84. , .
- 2002. Climatic factors controlling reproduction and growth of Norway spruce in southern Norway. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 217–225. , , , .
- 1990. Effects of unusually large seed crop on litterfall and nitrogen retranslocation in Himalayan oaks. Forest Ecology and Management 32: 79–86. , , , .
- 2011. Climate cues and resources interact to determine seed production by a masting species. Journal of Ecology 99: 870–877. , , , .
- 1991. The theory and practice of branch autonomy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 22: 309–334. , , .
- 1989. Trade-offs in life-history evolution. Functional Ecology 3: 259–268. .
- 2001. Whitebark pine communities: ecology and restoration. Washington, DC: Island Press. , , , eds.
- 1984. Morphogenetic constraints on patterns of carbon distribution in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15: 233–258. , .
- 2001. Whitebark pine and its environment. In: Tomback DF, Arno SF, Keane RE, eds. Whitebark pine communities: ecology and restoration. Washington, DC: Island Press, 41–73. .
- 2004. Previous-year reproduction reduces photosynthetic capacity and slows lifetime growth in females of a neotropical tree. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 8051–8055. , .
- 1966. Natural selection the costs of reproduction and the refinement of Lack’s principle. American Naturalist 100: 687–690. .
- 1996. Theory of mast reproduction in plants: storage-size dependent strategy. Evolution 50: 1795–1807. .
- 2006. Resource allocation to vegetative and reproductive growth in relation to mast seeding in Fagus crenata. Forest Ecology and Management 229: 228–233. , , .