Contingency in ecosystem but not plant community response to multiple global change factors
Article first published online: 23 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 2, pages 462–471, October 2012
How to Cite
New Phytologist (2012)196: 462–471
- Issue published online: 17 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 23 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAR 2012
- European Research Council. Grant Numbers: FP7/2007-2013, 242658
- Allen SE, ed. 1989. Chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific.
- 2010. Root responses along a subambient to elevated CO2 gradient in a C3–C4 grassland. Global Change Biology 16: 454–468. , , , , , .
- 2009. Linking above- and belowground responses to global change at community and ecosystem scales. Global Change Biology 15: 914–929. , , , , .
- 2007. Analyzing linguistic data: a practical introduction to statistics using R. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2008. Mixed-effects modeling with crossed random effects for subjects and items. Journal of Memory and Language 59: 390–412. , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen retention, removal and saturation in lotic ecosystems. Ecosystems 8: 442–453. , .
- 1998. Growth and nitrogen uptake in an experimental community of annuals exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 4: 607–626. , .
- 2008. Nonlinear root-derived carbon sequestration across a gradient of nitrogen and phosphorous deposition in experimental mesocosms. Global Change Biology 14: 1113–1124. , , , , .
- 2001. Controlling factors and effects of chronic nitrogen and sulphur deposition on methane oxidation in a temperate forest soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 33: 93–102. , , , .
- 2011. Growth and community responses of alpine dwarf shrubs to in situ CO2 enrichment and soil warming. New Phytologist 191: 806–818. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Increases in the flux of carbon belowground stimulate nitrogen uptake and sustain the long-term enhancement of forest productivity under elevated CO2. Ecology Letters 14: 349–357. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Responses of grassland production to single and multiple global environmental changes. PLoS Biology 3: e319. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Primary productivity and water balance of grassland vegetation on three soils in a continuous CO2 gradient: initial results from the lysimeter CO2 gradient experiment. Ecosystems 12: 699–714. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Stable isotope ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. .
- 2002. Nonlinear grassland responses to past and future atmospheric CO2. Nature 417: 279–282. , , , , , .
- 2002. In deep shade, elevated CO2 increases the vigor of tropical climbing plants. Global Change Biology 8: 1109–1117. , .
- 2006. Element interactions limit soil carbon storage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 6571–6574. , , , , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant : root responses to heterogenous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 1991. Response to CO2 enrichment in 27 herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 5: 410–427. , , , .
- 1993. Further responses to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661–668. , , , .
- 2009. Final collapse of the Neyman–Pearson decision theoretic framework and rise of the neoFisherian. Annales Zoologici Fennici 46: 311–349. , .
- 2000. Root hemiparasites and plant diversity in experimental grassland communities. Journal of Ecology 88: 634–644. , , .
- 2010. Climate change effects on plant biomass alter dominance patterns and community evenness in an experimental old-field ecosystem. Global Change Biology 16: 2676–2687. , , , , , .
- 2000. Carbon-13 input and turn-over in a pasture soil exposed to long-term elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 123–135. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Abrupt rise in CO2 overestimates community response in a model plant–soil system. Nature 433: 621–624. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A holistic view of nitrogen acquisition in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1455–1466. , , , , .
- 2010. Ecosystem response to elevated CO2 levels limited by nitrogen-induced plant species shift. Nature 466: 96–99. , .
- 1999. Are there general laws in ecology? Oikos 84: 177–192. .
- 2009. Elevated CO2 effects on plant carbon, nitrogen, and water relations: six important lessons from FACE. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2859–2876. , , , , , .
- 2010. Phosphorus supply drives nonlinear responses of cottonwood (Populus deltoides) to increases in CO2 concentration from glacial to future concentrations. New Phytologist 187: 438–448. , , .
- 2011. Coordinated approaches to quantify long-term ecosystem dynamics in response to global change. Global Change Biology 17: 843–854. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Validity of extrapolating field CO2 experiments to predict carbon sequestration in natural ecosystems. Ecology 80: 1568–1583. , .
- 2004. Ecosystem carbon storage in arctic tundra reduced by long-term nutrient fertilization. Nature 431: 440–443. , , , , .
- 2007. Amount or pattern? Grassland responses to the heterogeneity and availability of two key resources. Ecology 88: 501–511. , .
- 2005. Soil nutrient heterogeneity interacts with elevated CO2 and nutrient availability to determine species and assemblage responses in a model grassland community. New Phytologist 168: 637–649. , , .
- 2011. C4 grasses prosper as carbon dioxide eliminates desiccation in warmed semi-arid grassland. Nature 476: 202–205. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Variable effects of nitrogen additions on the stability and turnover of soil carbon. Nature 419: 915–917. , , , , , .
- 2009. Integrating plant–soil interactions into global carbon cycle models. Journal of Ecology 97: 851–863. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Impacts of atmospheric nitrogen deposition: responses of multiple plant and soil parameters across contrasting ecosystems in long-term field experiments. Global Change Biology 18: 1197–1215. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2006a. Nitrogen limitation constrains sustainability of ecosystem response to CO2. Nature 440: 922–925. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Carbon–nitrogen interactions in terrestrial ecosystems in response to rising atmopsheric carbon dioxide. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 611–636. , , .
- 2010. Resolving ecosystem complexity. Princeton, NY, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 2007. Temperate grasslands amd global atmospheric change: a review. Grass and Forage Science 62: 127–134. , .
- 1999. Effect of enhanced atmospheric CO2 on mycorrhizal colonization and phosphorus inflow in 10 herbaceous species of contrasting growth strategies. Functional Ecology 13: 190–199. , , .
- 2011. Multi-factor global change experiments: what have we learned about terrestrial carbon storage and exchange? New Phytologist 192: 797–800. , .
- 2008. Global change and species interactions in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecology Letters 11: 1351–1363. , , , .
- 2010. Conceptual synthesis in community ecology. The Quarterly Review of Biology 85: 183–206. .
- 2011. The shape of things to come: woodland herb niche contraction begins during recruitment in mesic forest microhabitat. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278: 1390–1398. , .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , , .