A non-targeted metabolomics approach to quantifying differences in root storage between fast- and slow-growing plants
Article first published online: 24 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 200–211, October 2012
How to Cite
New Phytologist (2012) 196: 200–211
- Issue published online: 24 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 24 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 FEB 2012
- 1997. Adaptive intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. Quarterly Review of Biology 72: 149–177. .
- 1988. Carbon metabolism in scions of Colorado blue spruce. II. Carbon storage compounds. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 113: 800–805. , .
- 1996. Relationships between fire response, morphology, root anatomy and starch distribution in South-West Australian Epacridaceae. Annals of Botany 77: 357–364. , , .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 2009. Environmental metabolomics: a critical review and future perspectives. Metabolomics 5: 3–21. , , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 1986. Environmental controls over carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in Eriophorum vaginatum in Alaskan tussock tundra. Journal of Ecology 74: 167–195. , , .
- 1985. Factors affecting mineral nutrient acquisition by plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiolology 36: 77–115. .
- 2008. Population-specific metabolic phenotypes of Arabidopsis lyrata ssp petraea. New Phytologist 177: 380–388. , , , .
- 1983. A leisurely look at the bootstrap, the jack-knife and cross-validation. American Statistician 37: 36–48. , .
- 2006. Multi- and megavariate data analysis – part II: advanced applications and method extensions. Umeå, Sweden: MKS Umetrics. , , , , , .
- 2008. CV-ANOVA for significance testing of PLS and OPLS® models. Journal of Chemometrics 22: 594–600. , , .
- 2005. Seasonal variation in biomass and carbohydrate partitioning of understory sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and yellow birch (Betula alleghaniensis) seedlings. Tree Physiology 25: 93–100. , , , .
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. American Naturalist 111: 1169–1194. .
- 1975. Relative growth rate – its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 63: 393–422. , .
- 1997. Metabolic implications of stress-induced proline accumulation in plants. Plant Growth Regulation 21: 79–102. , .
- 1982. Oligosaccharides based on sucrose (sucrosyl oligosaccharides). In: Loewus FA, Tanner W, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology: plant carbohydrates I, intracellular carbohydrates (new series). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 348–383. , .
- 1985. The role of the vacuole in storage and mobilization of stachyose in tubers of Stachys-sieboldii. Journal of Plant Physiology 119: 369–380. , .
- 1996. Metabolism of carbohydrates in sinks and sources: galactosyl-sucrose oligosaccharides. In: Zamski E, Schaffer AA, eds. Photoassimilate distribution in plants and crops: source–sink relationships. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 157–183. , .
- 2008. Evolution of delayed reproduction in uncertain environments: a life-history perspective. American Naturalist 172: 797–805. , , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 1987. A physiological analysis of genotypic variation in relative growth rate: can growth rate confer ecological advantage? In: van Andel J, Bakker JP, Snaydon RW, eds, Disturbance in grasslands. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Junk, 237–252. , .
- 2000. Silver spoons and snake body sizes: prey availability early in life influences long-term growth rates of free-ranging pythons. Journal of Animal Ecology 69: 952–958. , .
- 1997. Non-structural carbohydrate accumulation and use in an under story rain-forest shrub and relevance for the impact of leaf herbivory. Functional Ecology 11: 636–643. , , .
- 1966. Adaptive significance of large size and long life of chaetognath Sagitta elegans in the Arctic. Ecology 47: 852–856. .
- 2007. Environmental uncertainty, autocorrelation and the evolution of survival. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B Biological Sciences 274: 2153–2160. , .
- 2006. Growth-survival trade-offs and allometries in rosette-forming perennials. Functional Ecology 20: 217–225. , , , .
- 1995. Growth, photosynthesis and storage of carbohydrates and nitrogen in Phaseolus lunatus in relation to resource availability. Oecologia 104: 17–23. , , .
- 2007. Carbohydrate storage enhances seedling shade and stress tolerance in a neotropical forest. Journal of Ecology 95: 383–395. , .
- 2008. Scaling techniques to enhance two-dimensional correlation spectra. Journal of Molecular Structure 883–884: 216–227. .
- 1995. Accumulation of amino acids in forest plants in relation to ecological amplitude and nitrogen supply. Functional Ecology 9: 596–605. , , .
- 2011. Amino acid transport in plants: a missing link in nitrogen cycling. Molecular Plant 4: 453–463. , .
- 1968. The significance of growth-rate comparisons for plant ecology. American Naturalist 102: 595–597. .
- 1990. Seedling growth and storage characteristics of seeder and resprouter species of Mediterranean-type ecosystems of S. W. Australia. Annals of Botany 65: 585–601. , , , , .
- 2010. A new method for measuring relative growth rate can uncover the costs of defensive compounds in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 187: 1102–1111. , , .
- 2000. Plant sterols: biosynthesis, biological function and their importance to human nutrition. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 80: 939–966. , , , , .
- 1989. Interspecific variation in relative growth rate: on ecological causes and physiological consequences. In: Lambers H, Freijsen N, Poorter H, Hirose T, Van der Werf A. eds. Causes and consequences of variation in growth rate and productivity of higher plants. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 45–68. .
- 1992. Chemical composition of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 221–229. , .
- 1990. Leaf area ratio and net assimilation rate of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Oecologia 83: 553–559. , .
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen economy of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Plant Physiology 94: 621–627. , , .
- 2007. Carbohydrate storage and light requirements of tropical moist and dry forest tree species. Ecology 88: 1000–1011. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 1995. Tryptophan biosynthesis and metabolism: biochemical and molecular genetics. Plant Cell 7: 921–934. , .
- 1994. Delayed germination of seeds: a look at the effects of adult longevity, the timing of reproduction, and population age/stage structure. American Naturalist 144: 43–64. .
- 2002. The physiology/life-history nexus. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17: 462–468. , .
- 2000. Simultaneous analysis of metabolites in potato tuber by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Plant Journal 23: 131–142. , , , , .
- 2009. The costs and benefits of fast living. Ecology Letters 12: 1379–1384. , , , .
- 2002. Evolution in the real world: stochastic variation and the determinants of fitness in Carlina vulgaris. Evolution 56: 1416–1430. , , .
- 2001. Amino acids in seeds and seedlings of the genus Lens. Phytochemistry 58: 281–289. , , .
- 1987. Amino acid pools in herbaceous plants at the wintering stage and at the beginning of growth. Plant and Cell Physiology 28: 171–178. .
- 1983. Amino-acid pools in perennial plants at the wintering stage and at the beginning of growth. Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 479–494. , .
- 1993. Nitrogen and carbohydrate storage in biennials originating from habitats of different resource availability. Oecologia 93: 374–382. , , .
- 1974. The role of proline accumulation in halophytes. Planta 120: 279–289. , .
- 2007. Chemometrics in metabonomics. Journal of Proteome Research 6: 469–479. , , .
- 2008. Growth rates, seed size and physiology: do small-seeded species really grow faster. Ecology 89: 1352–1363. , , , .
- 2000. Pattern of storage and regrowth in ragwort. Evolutionary Ecology 14: 439–455. , , .
- 1988. The selective interactions of dispersal, dormancy, and seed size as adaptations for reducing risk in variable environments. American Naturalist 131: 360–384. , .
- 1999. Cold-induced freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 120: 391–399. , .
- 1994. Response of potato plants to drought stress by increased proline level in tubers. Rostlinna Vyroba 40: 711–720. .