Proteaceae from severely phosphorus-impoverished soils extensively replace phospholipids with galactolipids and sulfolipids during leaf development to achieve a high photosynthetic phosphorus-use-efficiency
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1098–1108, December 2012
How to Cite
Lambers, H., Cawthray, G. R., Giavalisco, P., Kuo, J., Laliberté, E., Pearse, S. J., Scheible, W.-R., Stitt, M., Teste, F. and Turner, B. L. (2012), Proteaceae from severely phosphorus-impoverished soils extensively replace phospholipids with galactolipids and sulfolipids during leaf development to achieve a high photosynthetic phosphorus-use-efficiency. New Phytologist, 196: 1098–1108. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04285.x
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUN 2012
- Australian Research Council (ARC)
- University of Western Australia
- Max-Planck Society
- 2005. Phosphate-limited oat. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 27578–27586. , , , , .
- 2003. Phosphate-deficient oat replaces a major portion of the plasma membrane phospholipids with the galactolipid digalactosyldiacylglycerol. FEBS Letters 537: 128–132. , , , , .
- 1976. Lipid composition of envelopes, prolamellar bodies and other plastid membranes in etiolated, green and greening wheat leaves. Planta 129: 193–201. , , .
- 1988. Effects of phosphorus nutrition on the response of photosynthesis to CO2 and O2, activation of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase and amounts of ribulose bisphosphate and 3-phosphoglycerate in spinach leaves. Photosynthesis Research 15: 133–141. , , .
- 1990. A report to the Environmental Protection Authority from the Department of Conservation and Land Management. Bulletin 424. Perth, Australia: Environmental Protection Authority. , , , eds.
- 1982. Mild phosphorus stress in barley and a related low-phosphorus-adapted barleygrass: phosphorus fractions and phosphate absorption in relation to growth. Physiologia Plantarum 54: 309–317. , .
- 2010. Interaction of phosphorus compounds with anion-exchange membranes: implications for soil analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74: 1607–1612. , , .
- 2001. Phosphate status affects the gene expression, protein content and enzymatic activity of UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in wild-type and pho mutants of Arabidopsis. Planta 212: 598–605. , , , .
- 2010. Comparative physiology of elemental distributions in plants. Annals of Botany 105: 1081–1102. , .
- 2006. Phospholipids as plant growth regulators. Plant Growth Regulation 48: 97–109. .
- 2006. Phospholipase DZ2 plays an important role in extraplastidic galactolipid biosynthesis and phosphate recycling in Arabidopsis roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 6765–6770. , , , , .
- 2007. Banksia species (Proteaceae) from severely phosphorus-impoverished soils exhibit extreme efficiency in the use and re-mobilization of phosphorus. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1557–1565. , , , .
- 2007. Galactolipids in plant membranes. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences: eLS. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd. http://www.els.net. doi: 10.1002/9780470015902.a0020100.
- 2002. Galactolipids rule in seed plants. Trends in Plant Science 7: 112–118. , .
- 2003. Growth rate – stoichiometry couplings in diverse biota. Ecology Letters 6: 936–943. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. The use of quantitative electron microscopy in the study of lipid composition of membranes. Journal of Experimental Botany 27: 1137–1141. , .
- 1986. The relationship between phosphate status and photosynthesis in leaves. Effects on intracellular orthophosphate distribution, photosynthesis and assimilate partitioning. Planta 167: 369–375. , .
- 1990. Effects of phosphorus nutrition on photosynthesis in Glycine max (L.) Merr. Planta 181: 399–405. , , , .
- 2008. Phospholipase C5 (NPC5) is involved in galactolipid accumulation during phosphate limitation in leaves of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 56: 28–39. , , , , .
- 2011. Elemental formula annotation of polar and lipophilic metabolites using 13C, 15N and 34S isotope labelling, in combination with high-resolution mass spectrometry. The Plant Journal 68: 364–376. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The disappearing nutrient. Nature 461: 716–718. .
- 1990. Vegetation. In: Burbidge AA, Hopper SD, Van Leeuwen D eds. A report to the Environmental Protection Authority from the Department of Conservation and Land Management. Bulletin 424. Perth, Australia: Environmental Protection Authority, 15–24. ,
- 1997. Influence of leaf type and plant age on leaf structure and sclerophylly in Hakea (Proteaceae). Australian Journal of Botany 45: 827–838. , , .
- 2003. Changes in gene expression in Arabidopsis shoots during phosphate starvation and the potential for developing smart plants. Plant Physiology 132: 578–596. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Gene expression changes in phosphorus deficient potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) leaves and the potential for diagnostic gene expression Markers. PLoS ONE 6: e24606. , , , , , .
- 2000. DGD1-independent biosynthesis of extraplastidic galactolipids after phosphate deprivation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 10649–10654. , , .
- 2009. Stomatal crypts may facilitate diffusion of CO2 to adaxial mesophyll cells in thick sclerophylls. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1596–1611. , , , .
- 1982. Changes in inorganic and organic soil phosphorus fractions induced by cultivation practices and by laboratory incubations. Soil Science Society of America Journal 46: 970–976. , , .
- 1977. Role of orthophosphate and other factors in the regulation of starch formation in leaves and isolated chloroplasts. Plant Physiology 59: 1146–1155. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Chapter 16: Soil reaction and exchangeable acidity. In: Carter MR, Gregorich EG, eds. Soil sampling and methods of analysis, 2nd edn. Boca Raton, FL, USA: Canadian Society of Soil Science and CRC Press, 173–178. , ,
- 2009. OCBIL theory: towards an integrated understanding of the evolution, ecology and conservation of biodiversity on old, climatically buffered, infertile landscapes. Plant and Soil 322: 49–86. .
- 2004. The Southwest Australian Floristic Region: evolution and conservation of a global hotspot of biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 35: 623–650. , .
- 2011. Ultra performance liquid chromatography and high resolution mass spectrometry for the analysis of plant lipids. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 1–17. , , , , , .
- 2008. The evolutionary relations of sunken, covered, and encrypted stomata to dry habitats in Proteaceae. American Journal of Botany 95: 521–530. , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphate deprivation induces transfer of DGDG galactolipid from chloroplast to mitochondria. The Journal of Cell Biology 167: 863–874. , , , , , .
- 1992. Delayed greening in tropical leaves: an antiherbivore defense? Biotropica 24: 256–262. , .
- 2012. Experimental assessment of nutrient limitation along a 2-million year dune chronosequence in the south-western Australia biodiversity hotspot. Journal of Ecology 100: 631–642. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Phosphorus-mobilisation ecosystem engineering: the roles of cluster roots and carboxylate exudation in young P-limited ecosystems. Annals of Botany 110: 329–348. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant mineral nutrition in ancient landscapes: high plant species diversity on infertile soils is linked to functional diversity for nutritional strategies. Plant and Soil 334: 11–31. , , , .
- 2011. Phosphorus nutrition of Proteaceae in severely phosphorus-impoverished soils: are there lessons to be learned for future crops? Plant Physiology 156: 1058–1066. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Plant nutrient-acquisition strategies change with soil age. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23: 95–103. , , , .
- 1991. Reference soils of south-western Australia. South Perth, Australia: Department of Agriculture Western Australia. .
- 1974. Development and distribution of soils of the Swan Coastal Plain, Western Australia. Melbourne, Australia: CSIRO. , .
- 1995. Homeostasis and transport of inorganic phosphate in plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 36: 1–7. .
- 2007. Genome-wide reprogramming of metabolism and regulatory networks of Arabidopsis in response to phosphorus. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 85–112. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Spectrophotometric determination of phosphate in river waters with molybdate and malachite green. Analyst 108: 361–367. , , .
- 1999. Application of the ecosystem mimic concept to the species-rich Banksia woodlands of Western Australia. Agroforestry Systems 45: 303–341. , .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 1976. Geology of the Perth Basin, Western Australia. Perth, Australia: Geological Survey, Western Australia. , , .
- 1991. Mutant of Arabidopsis deficient in xylem loading of phosphate. Plant Physiology 97: 1087–1093. , , , .
- 1989. Leaf phosphate status, photosynthesis, and carbon partitioning in sugar beet: I. Changes in growth, gas exchange, and Calvin cycle Enzymes. Plant Physiology 90: 814–819. , .
- 2009. Leaf phosphorus influences the photosynthesis–nitrogen relation: a cross-biome analysis of 314 species. Oecologia 160: 207–212. , , .
- 2009. Stomatal crypts have small effects on transpiration: a numerical model analysis. Plant Physiology 151: 2018–2027. , , .
- 2005. Manganese accumulation in leaves of Hakea prostrata(Proteaceae) and the significance of cluster roots for micronutrient uptake as dependent on phosphorus supply. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 441–450. , .
- 2004. Tissue and cellular phosphorus storage during development of phosphorus toxicity in Hakea prostrata (Proteaceae). Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1033–1044. , , .
- 1986. Limitation of photosynthesis by carbon metabolism: II. O2-insensitive CO2 uptake results from limitation of triose phosphate utilization. Plant Physiology 81: 1123–1129. , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis and primary photosynthetic metabolism – more than the icing on the cake. The Plant Journal 61: 1067–1091. , , .
- 1989. Photosynthetic carbon partitioning: its regulation and possibilities for manipulation. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 633–641. , .
- 2008. Membrane phospholipids as a phosphate reserve: the dynamic nature of phospholipid-to-digalactosyl diacylglycerol exchange in higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1388–1398. , , , .
- 2010. Lipid asymmetry in plant plasma membranes: phosphate deficiency-induced phospholipid replacement is restricted to the cytosolic leaflet. The FASEB Journal 24: 1128–1138. , , , .
- 2009. Short-term changes in extractable inorganic nutrients during storage of tropical rain forest soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 73: 1972–1979. , .
- 2012. Opportunities for improving phosphorus-use efficiency in crop plants. New Phytologist 195: 306–320. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , , et al.