Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 3, pages 824–834, November 2012
How to Cite
Schöb, C., Butterfield, B. J. and Pugnaire, F. I. (2012), Foundation species influence trait-based community assembly. New Phytologist, 196: 824–834. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04306.x
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2012
- MICINN. Grant Number: CGL2010-17081
- Organismo Autónomo Parques Nacionales. Grant Number: 0002/9
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: PBBEP3_128361
- 2010. Intraspecific functional variability: extent, structure and sources of variation. Journal of Ecology 98: 604–613. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A fundamental, eco-hydrological basis for niche segregation in plant communities. New Phytologist 189: 253–258. , , , , , .
- 2006. Ecosystem engineering across ecosystems: do engineer species sharing common features have generalized or idiosyncratic effects on species diversity? Journal of Biogeography 33: 304–313. , .
- 2011. Quantifying the relevance of intraspecific trait variability for functional diversity. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2: 163–174. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Positive interactions in communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 191–193. , .
- 2011. Why intraspecific trait variation matters in community ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 183–192. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The importance of importance. Oikos 109: 63–70. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The balance between positive and negative interactions and its relationship to environmental gradients: a model. Oikos 81: 196–207. , .
- 2003. Inclusion of facilitation into ecological theory. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18: 119–125. , , .
- 2011. Regeneration niche differentiates functional strategies of desert woody plant species. Oecologia 165: 477–487. , .
- 2007. Positive interactions and interdependence in plant communities. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer. .
- 2000. Facilitation by unpalatable weeds may conserve plant diversity in overgrazed meadows in the Caucasus Mountains. Oikos 89: 275–282. , , .
- 1991. Facilitation and interference of Quercus douglasii on understory productivity in central California. Ecology 72: 1484–1499. , , .
- 2011. The best for the guest: high Andean nurse cushions of Azorella madreporica enhance arbuscular mycorrhizal status in associated plant species. Mycorrhiza 21: 613–622. , , , .
- 2009. Do facilitative interactions increase species richness at the entire community level? Journal of Ecology 97: 1181–1191. , .
- 2006. Positive interactions between alpine plant species and the nurse cushion plant Laretia acaulis do not increase with elevation in the Andes of central Chile. New Phytologist 169: 59–69. , , , , .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardized and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Loss of foundation species: consequences for the structure and dynamics of forested ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 3: 479–486. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Benefits of plant diversity to ecosystems: immediate, filter and founder effects. Journal of Ecology 86: 902–910. .
- 2012. Trait but not species convergence during plant community assembly in restored semi-natural grasslands. Oikos, doi:10.1111/j.1600-0706.2012.20499.x. , , .
- 1997. The interplay of facilitation and competition in plant communities. Ecology 78: 1966–1975. , , .
- 2010. Intraspecific variability and trait-based community assembly. Journal of Ecology 98: 1134–1140. , , , , .
- 2003 Alpine plant life, 2nd edn. Berlin, Germany: Springer. .
- 2010. Functional trait and phylogenetic tests of community assembly across spatial scales in an Amazonian forest. Ecological Monographs 80: 401–422. , .
- 2008. Functional traits and niche-based tree community assembly in an Amazonian forest. Science 322: 580–582. , , .
- 2009. Plant species diversity and environmental heterogeneity: spatial scale and competing hypotheses. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 377–391. .
- 2008. Why are evergreen leaves so contrary about shade? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 299–303. , , , , .
- 2011. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi host preference and site effects in two plant species in a semiarid environment. Applied Soil Ecology 48: 313–317. , .
- 2000. Epiphyte habitats in an old conifer forest in Western Washington, U.S.A. The Bryologist 103: 417–427. , , , .
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 178–185. , , , .
- 2011. Phenotypic variation in nurse traits and community feedbacks define an alpine community. Ecology Letters 14: 433–443. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Effect of the canopy of Retama sphaerocarpa on its understorey in a semiarid environment. Functional Ecology 11: 425–431. , , , .
- 2005. Can traits predict the competitive response of herbaceous Mediterranean species? Acta Oecologica 27: 107–114. , .
- 1979. Regularity, randomness, and aggregation in flowering phonologies. Science 203: 470–471. , .
- 2009. Causes and consequences of variation in leaf mass per area (LMA): a meta-analysis. New Phytologist 182: 565–588. , , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1996–2009. Worldwide bioclimatic classification system. Spain: Phytosociological Research Center. URL http://www.globalbioclimatics.org [accessed 10 March 2012]. , .
- 2008. Plant–pollinator interactions and the assembly of plant communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23: 123–130. , .
- 2010. Counterbalancing effects of competition for resources and facilitation against grazing in alpine snowbed communities. Oikos 119: 1571–1580. , , , , , .
- 2006. From plant traits to plant communities: a statistical mechanistic approach to biodiversity. Science 314: 812–814. , , .
- 2011. Microhabitat amelioration and reduced competition among understorey plants as drivers of facilitation across environmental gradients: towards a unifying framework. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 13: 247–258. , , , , , .
- 2000. Temporal environmental variation tips the balance between facilitation and interference in desert plants. Ecology 81: 1544–1553. , .
- 2005. The interplay of positive and negative species interactions across an environmental gradient: insights from an individual-based simulation model. Biology Letters 1: 5–8. , , .
- 2006. Modern Quaternary plant lineages promote diversity through facilitation of ancient Tertiary lineages. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 16812–16817. , , , .
- 2008. Temporal shifts from facilitation to competition occur between closely related taxa. Journal of Ecology 96: 489–494. , .
- 2009. Towards a trait-based quantification of species niche. Journal of Plant Ecology 2: 87–93. , .
- 2011. Advances, challenges and a developing synthesis of ecological community assembly theory. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 366: 2403–2413. , , , , , .
- 1999 Ecological assembly rules: perspectives, advances, retreats. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .