A biomechanical model of anther opening reveals the roles of dehydration and secondary thickening
Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1030–1037, December 2012
How to Cite
New Phytologist (2012)
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 JUN 2012
- the BBSRC
- 2011. Geometry and mechanics in the opening of chiral seed pods. Science 333: 1726–1729. , , , .
- 2005. Anisotropic expansion of the plant cell wall. Annual Review of Cell Developmental Biology 21: 203–222. .
- 1989. Anther dehiscence in Lycopersicon esculentum Mill I. New Phytologist 113: 97–115. , .
- 1990. Anther dehiscence in Lycopersicon esculentum II. New Phytologist 115: 367–375. , .
- 2005a. PIP1 and PIP2 aquaporins are differentially expressed during tobacco anther and stigma development. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 113–121. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Aquaporins of the PIP2 class are required for efficient anther dehiscence in tobacco. Plant Physiology 137: 1049–1056. , , , , , .
- 2009. Actuation systems in plants as prototypes for bioinspired devices. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 367: 1541–1557. , .
- 2005. Growth of the plant cell wall. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6: 850–861. .
- 1977. Large deflections of helical spring due to bending. ASCE Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division 103: 418–487. .
- 1999. Characterization and genetic mapping of a mutation (ms35) which prevents anther dehiscence in Arabidopsis thaliana by affecting secondary wall thickening in the endothecium. New Phytologist 144: 213–222. , , , , , .
- 1997. How pine cones open. Nature 390: 668. , , .
- 2012. “Vegetable Dynamicks” The role of water in plant movements. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 44: 453–478. , .
- 2010. A fibre-reinforced fluid model of anisotropic plant cell growth. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 655: 472–503. , .
- 2007. The role of wheat awns in the seed dispersal unit. Science 316: 884–886. , , , .
- 2002. An approach to the diversity of endothecial thickenings in Solanaceae. Flora 197: 214–223. .
- 2001. Partial silencing of the NEC1 gene results in early opening of anthers in Petunia hybrida. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 265: 414–423. , , , , , , .
- 2000. NEC1, a novel gene, highly expressed in nectary tissue of Petunia hybrida. Plant Journal 24: 725–734. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. A comparison of anther tissue in male sterile Aloe vera and male fertile Aloe ciliaris. Annals of Botany 59: 533–542. , .
- 2005. Molecular genetic analyses of microsporogenesis and microgametogenesis in flowering plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 56: 393–434. .
- 2005. The NAC transcription factors NST1 and NST2 of Arabidopsis regulate secondary wall thickenings and are required for anther dehiscence. Plant Cell 17: 2993–3006. , , , .
- 2011. Growth-induced buckling of an epithelial layer. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 10: 883–900. , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of a fertilization-induced and developmentally regulated plasma-membrane aquaporin expressed in reproductive tissues, in the wild potato Solanum chacoense Bitt. Planta 215: 485–493. , , .
- 2006. Pollen carbohydrates and water content during development, presentation, and dispersal: a short review. Protoplasma 228: 73–77. , , .
- 2011. Pollen vacuoles and their significance. Planta 234: 217–227. , , .
- 2009. Hygromorphs: from pine cones to biomimetic bilayers. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 6: 951–957. , .
- 1997. Expression in anthers of two genes encoding Brassica oleracea transmembrane channel proteins. Plant Molecular Biology 34: 163–168. , , , , .
- 1999. Anther developmental defects in Arabidopsis thaliana male-sterile mutants. Sexual Plant Reproduction 11: 297–322. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis DELAYED DEHISCENCE1 gene encodes an enzyme in the jasmonic acid synthesis pathway. Plant Cell 12: 1041–1061. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stamen structure and function. Plant Cell 16(Suppl 1): S46–60. , , .
- 2008. AtTIP1;3 and AtTIP5;1, the only highly expressed Arabidopsis pollen-specific aquaporins, transport water and urea. FEBS Letters 582: 4077–4082. , , , , .
- 1999. The AtSUC1 sucrose carrier may represent the osmotic driving force for anther dehiscence and pollen tube growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 19: 269–278. , , , .
- 2002. Plant aquaporins: multifunctional water and solute channels with expanding roles. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 173–194. , , .
- 2011. The final split: the regulation of anther dehiscence. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1633–1649. , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis MYB26/MALE STERILE35 regulates secondary thickening in the endothecium and is essential for anther dehiscence. Plant Cell 19: 534–548. , , , , , .