Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Suppression of Ku70/80 or Lig4 leads to decreased stable transformation and enhanced homologous recombination in rice
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1048–1059, December 2012
How to Cite
Nishizawa-Yokoi, A., Nonaka, S., Saika, H., Kwon, Y.-I., Osakabe, K. and Toki, S. (2012), Suppression of Ku70/80 or Lig4 leads to decreased stable transformation and enhanced homologous recombination in rice. New Phytologist, 196: 1048–1059. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04350.x
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2012
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan. Grant Number: GMC-0001
- KAKENHI. Grant Numbers: 23658012, 23310142
- 2011. Programmed induction of endoreduplication by DNA double-strand breaks in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 10004–10009. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Interactive competition between homologous recombination and non-homologous end joining. Molecular Cancer Research 1: 913–920. , , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis AtLIG4 gene is required for the repair of DNA damage, but not for the integration of Agrobacterium T-DNA. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 4247–4255. , , , , , .
- 2004. New insights into the mechanism of homologous recombination in yeast. Mutation Research 566: 231–248. , .
- 2003. Evidence implicating Ku antigen as a structural factor in RNA polymerase II-mediated transcription. Gene 302: 53–64. , , , .
- 2009. Increased gene targeting in Ku70 and Xrcc4 transiently deficient human somatic cells. Molecular Biotechnology 41: 106–114. , , , , .
- 2010. Highly efficient gene targeting in Penicillium chrysogenum using the bi-partite approach in deltalig4 or deltaku70 mutants. Fungal Genetics and Biology 47: 839–846. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The DNA damage repair protein Ku70 interacts with FOXO4 to coordinate a conserved cellular stress response. FASEB Journal 24: 4271–4280. , , , , .
- 2002. T-DNA integration into the Arabidopsis genome depends on sequences of pre-insertion sites. EMBO Reports 3: 1152–1157. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Increased telomere length and hypersensitivity to DNA damaging agents in an Arabidopsis KU70 mutant. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 3395–3400. , , .
- 2011. Kinetic analysis of DNA double-strand break repair pathways in Arabidopsis. DNA Repair 10: 611–619. , , , .
- 2010. Xrcc1-dependent and Ku-dependent DNA double-strand break repair kinetics in Arabidopsis plants. Plant Journal 64: 280–290. , , .
- 2011. Ku counteracts mobilization of PARP1 and MRN in chromatin damaged with DNA double-strand breaks. Nucleic Acids Research 39: 9605–9619. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. ATR and ATM play both distinct and additive roles in response to ionizing radiation. Plant Journal 48: 947–961. , , , , .
- 2011. Have a break: determinants of meiotic DNA double strand break (DSB) formation and processing in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1545–1563. , .
- 2012. CDKB2 is involved in mitosis and DNA damage response in rice. Plant Journal 69: 967–977. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Ku70, an essential gene, modulates the frequency of rAAV-mediated gene targeting in human somatic cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 8703–8708. , , , , .
- 2012. Ku regulates signaling to DNA damage response pathways through the Ku70 von Willebrand A domain. Molecular and Cellular Biology 32: 76–87. , .
- 2003. Ku80- and DNA ligase IV-deficient plants are sensitive to ionizing radiation and defective in T-DNA integration. Plant Journal 34: 427–440. , .
- 2003. Ku80 plays a role in non-homologous recombination but is not required for T-DNA integration in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 35: 557–565. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant proteins involved in Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48: 45–68. .
- 2001. Homologous recombination in planta is stimulated in the absence of Rad50. EMBO Reports 2: 287–291. , , , , , .
- 1994. The small, versatile pPZP family of Agrobacterium binary vectors for plant transformation. Plant Molecular Biology 25: 989–994. , , .
- 2010. Regulation of homologous recombination in eukaryotes. Annual Review of Genetics 44: 113–139. , , .
- 2010. OsKu70 is associated with developmental growth and genome stability in rice. Plant Physiology 152: 374–387. , , , , , .
- 1993. New Agrobacterium helper plasmids for gene-transfer to plants. Transgenic Research 2: 208–218. , , , .
- 2004. A tale of two integrations, transgene and T-DNA: gene targeting by homologous recombination in rice. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 15: 132–138. , .
- 2008. Impact of non-homologous end-joining deficiency on random and targeted DNA integration: implications for gene targeting. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 6333–6342. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Agrobacterium tumefaciens T-DNA integration and gene targeting in Arabidopsis thaliana non-homologous end-joining mutants. Journal of Botany 2012: ID 989272. , , , .
- 2003. Characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana ortholog of the human breast cancer susceptibility gene 1: AtBRCA1, strongly induced by gamma rays. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 1148–1155. , .
- 2005. Involvement of KU80 in T-DNA integration in plant cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 19231–19236. , , , , , .
- 1996. Chromosomal double-strand break repair in Ku80-deficient cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 8929–8933. , , , , .
- 2011. Epigenetic control of Agrobacterium T-DNA integration. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1809: 388–394. , .
- 2004. Alanine-scanning mutagenesis reveals a cytosine deaminase mutant with altered substrate preference. Biochemistry 43: 8957–8964. , , , .
- 2004. Cloning and characterization of the DMC1 genes in Oryza sativa. Current Science 87: 353–357. , , .
- 2004. Simple RNAi vectors for stable and transient suppression of gene function in rice. Plant Cell Physiology 45: 490–495. , .
- 2011. Induction and repair of DNA double strand breaks: the increasing spectrum of non-homologous end joining pathways. Mutation Research 711: 61–72. , .
- 2004. Interchromatid and interhomolog recombination in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 16: 342–352. , , , .
- 1999. Ten years of gene targeting: targeted mouse mutants, from vector design to phenotype analysis. Mechanisms of Development 82: 3–21. .
- 2005. Microarray analysis of genes that respond to gamma-irradiation in Arabidopsis. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 53: 1022–1103. , , , , .
- 2011. Efficient gene targeting in ΔCc.ku70 or ΔCc.lig4 mutants of the agaricomycete Coprinopsis cinerea. Fungal Genetics and Biology 48: 939–946. , , , , .
- 2004. Highly efficient gene replacements in Neurospora strains deficient for nonhomologous end-joining. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 12248–12253. , , , .
- 2006. A fluorescent antibiotic resistance marker for rapid production of transgenic rice plants. Journal of Biotechnology 122: 521–527. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Extrachromosomal homologous recombination and gene targeting in plant cells after Agrobacterium mediated transformation. EMBO Journal 9: 3077–3084. , , , , , .
- 2006. Isolation and characterization of the RAD54 gene from Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 48: 827–842. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Multiple pathways of recombination induced by double-strand breaks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 63: 349–404. , .
- 1988. Gene targeting in plants. EMBO Journal 7: 4021–4026. , , , .
- 2001. Ku DNA end-binding protein modulates homologous repair of double-strand breaks in mammalian cells. Genes & Development 15: 3237–3242. , , , , .
- 2010. New insights into an old story: Agrobacterium-induced tumour formation in plants by plant transformation. EMBO Journal 29: 1021–1032. , .
- 1996. Two different but related mechanisms are used in plants for the repair of genomic double-strand breaks by homologous recombination. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 5055–5060. , , .
- 2008. Homologous recombination properties of OsRad51, a recombinase from rice. Plant Molecular Biology 68: 479–491. , , , .
- 2007. ATM-mediated transcriptional and developmental responses to gamma-rays in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE 2: e430. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Capture of genomic and T-DNA sequences during double-strand break repair in somatic plant cells. EMBO Journal 17: 6086–6095. , .
- 2004. Generation and flanking sequence analysis of a rice T-DNA tagged population. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 306–314. , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular characterization of acetolactate synthase in resistant weeds and crops. In: Clark JM, Ohkawa H, eds. ACS Symposium Series 899: Environmental Fate and Safety Management of Agrochemicals. Washington, DC, USA: American Chemical Society, 255–271. , , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of DNA double-strand break repair pathway choice. Cell Research 18: 134–147. , , .
- 2002. Efficient repair of genomic double-strand breaks by homologous recombination between directly repeated sequences in the plant genome. Plant Cell 14: 1121–1131. , .
- 2010. DNA repair and recombination in higher plants: insights from comparative genomics of Arabidopsis and rice. BMC Genomics 11: 443. , , , .
- 1994. Restoration of X-ray resistance and V(D)J recombination in mutant cells by Ku cDNA. Science 266: 288–291. , , , .
- 1985. Insertion of DNA sequences into the human chromosomal beta-globin locus by homologous recombination. Nature 317: 230–234. , , , , .
- 2011. Double-strand break end resection and repair pathway choice. Annual Review of Genetics 45: 247–271. , .
- 2002. Identification of Ku70 and Ku80 homologues in Arabidopsis thaliana: evidence for a role in the repair of DNA double-strand breaks. Plant Journal 29: 771–781. , , , , .
- 2010. High efficient gene targeting on the AGAMOUS gene in an ArabidopsisAtLIG4 mutant. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 396: 289–293. , , , .
- 1997. Rapid and efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation in rice. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 15: 16–21. .
- 2006. Early infection of scutellum tissue with Agrobacterium allows high-speed transformation of rice. Plant Journal 47: 69–76. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Development of an efficient gene targeting system in Colletotrichum higginsianum using a non-homologous end-joining mutant and Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated gene transfer. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 284: 357–371. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Improved gene targeting in Magnaporthe grisea by inactivation of MgKU80 required for non-homologous end joining. Fungal Genetics and Biology 45: 68–75. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Ovate family protein 1 as a plant Ku70 interacting protein involved in DNA double-strand break repair. Plant Molecular Biology 74: 453–466. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Repairing breaks in the plant genome: the importance of keeping it together. New Phytologist 192: 805–822. , , , .
- 2009. DNA ligase 1 deficient plants display severe growth defects and delayed repair of both DNA single and double strand breaks. BMC Plant Biology 9: 79. , , , , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis DNA double-strand break repair pathway. Biochemical Society Transactions 32: 964–966. , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis DNA ligase IV is induced by gamma-irradiation and interacts with an Arabidopsis homologue of the double strand break repair protein XRCC4. Plant Journal 24: 67–78. , , , .
- 2009. Gene expression map of the Arabidopsis shoot apical meristem stem cell niche. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 4941–4946. , , , , .
- 2010. Monitoring homologous recombination in rice (Oryza sativa L). Mutation Research 691: 55–63. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Cutting edge: Ku70 is a novel cytosolic DNA sensor that induces type III rather than type I IFN. Journal of Immunology 186: 4541–4545. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Deletion of ku homologs increases gene targeting frequency in Streptomyces avermitilis. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 39: 917–925. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of T-DNA integration. In: Tzfira T, Citovsky V, eds. Agrobacterium: from biology to biotechnology. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 395–440. , , .