An R2R3 MYB transcription factor in wheat, TaPIMP1, mediates host resistance to Bipolaris sorokiniana and drought stresses through regulation of defense- and stress-related genes
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1155–1170, December 2012
How to Cite
Zhang, Z., Liu, X., Wang, X., Zhou, M., Zhou, X., Ye, X. and Wei, X. (2012), An R2R3 MYB transcription factor in wheat, TaPIMP1, mediates host resistance to Bipolaris sorokiniana and drought stresses through regulation of defense- and stress-related genes. New Phytologist, 196: 1155–1170. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04353.x
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2012
- NSFC program. Grant Number: 30871523
- ‘863’ programs. Grant Numbers: 2012AA10A309, 2012AA101105
- Key Sci-Tech. Grant Number: 2013ZX08002001
- 2003. Arabidopsis AtMYC2 (bHLH) and AtMYB2 (MYB) function as transcriptional activators in abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell 15: 63–78. , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of Arabidopsis MYC and MYB homologs in drought- and abscisic acid-regulated gene expression. Plant Cell 9: 1859–1868. , , , , , .
- 2006. A R2R3 type MYB transcription factor is involved in the cold regulation of CBF genes and in acquired freezing tolerance. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 37636–37645. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Abiotic stress alters transcript profiles and activity of glutathione S-transferase, glutathione peroxidase, and glutathione reductase in Euphorbia esula. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 421–433. , .
- 2010. Germin-like proteins (GLPs) in cereal genomes: gene clustering and dynamic roles in plant defence. Functional and Integrative Genomics 10: 463–476. , .
- 2012. Large Scale In Silico identification of MYB family genes from wheat expressed sequence tags. Molecular Biotechnology 52: 184–192. , , .
- 2008. Overexpression of TiERF1 enhances resistance to sharp eyespot in transgenic wheat. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 4195–4204. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Isolation and characterization of genes encoding Myb transcription factor in wheat (Triticum aestivem L.). Plant Science 169: 1146–1154. , , , , , .
- 1996. Ubiquitin promoter-based vectors for high-level expression of selectable and/or screenable marker genes in monocotyledonous plants. Transgenic Research 5: 213–218. , .
- 2007. Overexpression of an R1R2R3 MYB gene, OsMYB3R-2, increases tolerance to freezing, drought, and salt stress in transgenic Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 143: 1739–1751. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Inheritance of excised-leaf water loss and relative water content in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum). Euphytica 1: 39–47. , .
- 2009. Transgenic expression of MYB15 confers enhanced sensitivity to abscisic acid and improved drought tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 36: 17–29. , , , , , .
- 2010. Overexpression of TaPIEP1, a pathogen-induced ERF gene of wheat, confers host-enhanced resistance to fungal pathogen Bipolaris sorokiniana. Functional and Integrative Genomics 10: 215–226. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. MYB transcription factors in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 15: 573–581. , , , , , .
- 2009. Abscisic acid has a key role in modulating diverse plant-pathogen interactions. Plant Physiology 150: 1750–1761. , , , , .
- 2006. Crosstalk between abiotic and biotic stress responses: a current view from the points of convergence in the stress signaling networks. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 436–442. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Auxin-induced ethylene triggers abscisic acid biosynthesis and growth inhibition. Plant Physiology 124: 1437–1448. , .
- 2011. Ectopic expression of a wheat MYB transcription factor gene, TaMYB73, improves salinity stress tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 1511–1522. , , , , , .
- 2005. Red grain colour gene (R) of wheat is a myb-type transcription factor. Euphytica 143: 239–242. , .
- 1992. A bifunctional enzyme (delta 1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase) catalyzes the first two steps in proline biosynthesis in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 9354–9358. , , .
- 2002. Bipolaris sorokiniana, a cereal pathogen of global concern: cytological and molecular approaches towards better control. Molecular Plant Pathology 3: 185–195. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. ABA signal transduction at the crossroad of biotic and abiotic stress responses. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 53–60. , .
- 2011. Expression of a wheat MYB gene in transgenic tobacco enhances resistance to Ralstonia solanacearum, and to drought and salt stresses. Functional and Integrative Genomics 11: 431–443. , , , , , .
- 1998. Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1391–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-△△CT T method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2009. Enhanced tolerance to chilling stress in OsMYB3R-2 transgenic rice is mediated by alteration in cell cycle and ectopic expression of stress genes. Plant Physiology 150: 244–256. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Transgenic expression of TaMYB2A confers enhanced tolerance to multiple abiotic stresses in Arabidopsis. Functional and Integrative Genomics 11: 445–465. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The BOTRYTIS SUSCEPTIBLE1 gene encodes an R2R3 MYB transcription factor protein that is required for biotic and abiotic stress responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 2551–2565. , , , .
- 2009. Functional conservation of wheat orthologs of maize rough sheath1 and rough sheath2 genes. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 273–285. , , , .
- 2003. Characterisation of a pine MYB that regulates lignification. Plant Journal 36: 743–754. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. The regulatory c1 locus of Zea mays encodes a protein with homology to myb proto-oncogene products and with structural similarities to transcriptional activator. EMBO Journal 6: 3553–3558. , , , , .
- 2009. Studies on the mechanism of resistance to Bipolaris sorokiniana in the barley lesion mimic mutant bst1. Molecular Plant Pathology 19: 587–598. , , .
- 2009. Networking by small-molecule hormones in plant immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 308–316. , , , .
- 1998. More than 80 R2R3-MYB regulatory genes in the genome of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 14: 273–284. , , , , , .
- 1984. Ribosomal DNA spacer-length polymorphisms in barley: mendelian inheritance, chromosomal location, and population dynamics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 81: 8014–8019. , , , .
- 2008. Molecular and functional profiling of Arabidopsis pathogenesis-related genes: insights into their roles in salt response of seed germination. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 334–344. , , , .
- 2010. MYB96-mediated abscisic acid signals induce pathogen resistance response by promoting salicylic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 186: 471–483. , .
- 2009. The MYB96 transcription factor mediates abscisic acid signaling during drought stress response in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 275–289. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The isolation, characterization and application in the Triticeae of a set of wheat RFLP probes identifying each homoeologous chromosome arm. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 78: 342–348. , , , .
- 2011. Expression of StMYB1R-1, a novel potato single MYB-like domain transcription factor, increases drought tolerance. Plant Physiology 155: 421–432. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A novel MYBS3-dependent pathway confers cold tolerance in rice. Plant Physiology 153: 145–158. , , , , , .
- 2009. Proline: a multifunctional amino acid. Trends in Plant Science 15: 89–97. , .
- 1993. An Arabidopsis myb homolog is induced by dehydration stress and its gene product binds to the conserved MYB recognition sequence. Plant Cell 5: 1529–1539. , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of the rice Osmyb4 gene increases chilling and freezing tolerance of Arabidopsis thaliana plants. Plant Journal 37: 115–127. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. A jacalin-related lectin-like gene in wheat is a component of the plant defence system. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 5471–5483. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. TaMYB13 is a transcriptional activator of fructosyltransferase genes involved in β-2,6-linked fructan synthesis in wheat. Plant Journal 68: 857–870. , , , .
- 1993. The plant hormone abscisic acid mediates the drought-induced expression but not the seed-specific expression of rd22, a gene responsive to dehydration stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular General Genetics 238: 17–25. , .
- 2004. The pepper transcription factor CaPF1 confers pathogen and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 136: 2862–2874. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Molecular characterization of 60 isolated wheat MYB genes and analysis of their expression during abiotic stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 203–214. , , , , .
- 2007. A novel ERF transcription activator in wheat and its induction kinetics after pathogen and hormone treatments. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2993–3003. , , , , , .