Molecular aspects of the antagonistic interaction of smoke-derived butenolides on the germination process of Grand Rapids lettuce (Lactuca sativa) achenes
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1060–1073, December 2012
How to Cite
Soós, V., Sebestyén, E., Posta, M., Kohout, L., Light, M. E., Van Staden, J. and Balázs, E. (2012), Molecular aspects of the antagonistic interaction of smoke-derived butenolides on the germination process of Grand Rapids lettuce (Lactuca sativa) achenes. New Phytologist, 196: 1060–1073. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04358.x
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2012
- Generation Challenge Programme
- Hungarian-South African S&T Cooperation Programme
- Hungarian Scientific Research Fund. Grant Number: OTKA 100763
- National Research Foundation
- South Africa, the University of KwaZulu-Natal
- IOCB. Grant Number: Z40550506
- 2012. Seed germination cues and the importance of the soil seed bank across an environmental gradient in the Serengeti. Oikos 121: 306–312. , , .
- 2006. Computational and experimental analysis identifies Arabidopsis genes specifically expressed during early seed development. BMC Genomics 28: 7–38. , , .
- 1999. Turner Review No. 1: the process of germination in Australian species. Australian Journal of Botany 47: 475–517. .
- 2011. Little evidence for fire-adapted plant traits in Mediterranean climate regions. Trends in Plant Science 16: 1365–1380. , , , , .
- 1992. Simulation of the effects of season of fire on post-fire seedling emergence of two Banksia species based on long-term rainfall records. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 75–88. , .
- 2009. Karrikinolide – a phytoreactive compound derived from smoke with applications in horticulture, ecological restoration and agriculture. Acta Horticulturae 813: 155–170. , , , .
- 2004. A compound from smoke that promotes seed germination. Science 305: 977. , , , .
- 2005. Synthesis of the seed germination stimulant 3-methyl-2H-furo[2,3-c]pyran-2-one. Tetrahedron Letters 46: 5719–5721. , , , .
- 2009. Identification of alkyl substituted 2H-furo[2,3-c]pyran-2-ones as germination stimulants present in smoke. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 57: 9475–9480. , , , .
- 2007. Assessing receptor affinity for inverse agonists: schild and Cheng-Prusoff methods revisited. Current Drug Targets 8: 197–202. , , , .
- 1990. Differential expression of the Arabidopsis 2S albumin genes and the effect of increasing gene family size. Plant Cell 2: 469–478. , , , , , .
- 2008. Fire season effects on the recruitment of non-sprouting serotinous Proteaceae in the eastern (bimodal rainfall) fynbos biome, South Africa. Austral Ecology 33: 119–127. , , , , , .
- 1999. The FAR1 locus encodes a novel nuclear protein specific to phytochrome A signaling. Genes and Develoment 13: 2017–2027. , , , .
- 2008. BioVenn: a web application for the comparison and visualization of biological lists using area-proportional Venn diagrams. BMC Genomics 9: 488. , , .
- 2010. GERMINATOR: a software package for high-throughput scoring and curve fitting of Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Journal 62: 148–159. , , , , , .
- 2009. arrayQualityMetrics—a bioconductor package for quality assessment of microarray data. Bioinformatics 25: 415–416. , , .
- 2004. Principles: receptor theory in pharmacology. Trends in Pharmacological Science 25: 186–192. .
- 2002. BLAT—the BLAST-like alignment tool. Genome Research 12: 656–664. .
- 2010. Butenolides from plant-derived smoke: natural plant-growth regulators with antagonistic actions on seed germination. Journal of Natural Products 73: 267–269. , , , , .
- 2009. Smoke-derived butenolide: towards understanding its biological effects. South African Journal of Botany 75: 1–7. , , .
- 2002. Dual regulation of seed germination by smoke solutions. Plant Growth Regulation 37: 135–141. , , , .
- 1988. Smoke in food processing. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. .
- 2012. Regulation of seed germination and seedling growth by chemical signals from burning vegetation. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 20.1–20.4. , , , , .
- 2010. Karrikins enhance light responses during germination and seedling development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 7095–7100. , , , , , .
- 2011. F-box protein MAX2 has dual roles in karrikin and strigolactone signaling in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 8897–8902. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Gibberellin signaling: biosynthesis, catabolism, and response pathways. Plant Cell 14(Suppl): S61–S80. , , .
- 2006. Dormancy and the fire-centric focus: germination of three Leucopogon species (Ericaceae) from south-eastern Australia. Annals of Botany 98: 421–430. , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org
- 2003. OligoArray 2.0: design of oligonucleotide probes for DNA microarrays using a thermodynamic approach. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 3057–3062. , , .
- 2006. TM4 microarray software suite. Methods in Enzymology 411: 134–193. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Deciphering gene regulatory networks that control seed development and maturation in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 54: 608–620. , , , , , .
- 2004. Smoke exposure alters endogenous gibberellin and abscisic acid pools and gibberellin sensitivity while eliciting germination in the post-fire annual, Nicotiana attenuata. Seed Science Research 14: 51–60. , .
- 2001. The stress- and abscisic acid-induced barley gene HVA22: developmental regulation and homologues in diverse organisms. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 327–340. , , , , .
- 1996. Modular nature of abscisic acid (ABA) response complexes: composite promoter units that are necessary and sufficient for ABA induction of gene expression in barley. Plant Cell 8: 1107–1119. , , .
- 2005. Modified expression of cysteine protease affects seed germination, vegetative growth and nodule development in transgenic lines of Medicago truncatula. Plant Science 169: 966–975. , , , .
- 2005. Use of within-array replicate spots for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Bioinformatics 21: 2067–2075. , , .
- 2009a. Smoke-water-induced changes of expression pattern in Grand Rapids lettuce achenes. Seed Science Research 19: 37–49. , , , , .
- 2009b. Stress-related genes define essential steps in the response of maize seedlings to smoke-water. Functional and Integrative Genomics 9: 231–242. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Transcriptome analysis of germinating maize kernels reveals substantial differences between the effects of smoke-water and the active compound KAR1. BMC Plant Biology 10: 236. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. LEAFY COTYLEDON2 encodes a B3 domain transcription factor that induces embryo development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 11806–11811. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. HYPOSENSITIVE TO LIGHT, an alpha/beta fold protein, acts downstream of ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL 5 to regulate seedling de-etiolation. Molecular Plant 4: 116–126. , .
- 2010. Short synthesis of the seed germination inhibitor 3,4,5-trimethyl-2(5H)-furanone. Journal of Organic Chemistry 75: 5750–5753. , , .
- 2000. Drug synergism and dose-effect data. Boca Raton, FL, USA: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press. .
- 2010. GOAL: a software tool for assessing biological significance of genes groups. BMC Bioinformatics 11: 229. , , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation of the major germination cue from plant-derived smoke. South African Journal of Botany 70: 654–659. , , , .
- 2006. Expression and inhibition of aquaporins in germinating Arabidopsis seeds. Plant Cell and Physiology 47: 1241–1250. , , , , .
- 2012. Specialization within the DWARF14 protein family confers distinct responses to karrikins and strigolactones in Arabidopsis. Development 139: 1285–1295. , , , , , , .