Transport of root-respired CO2 via the transpiration stream affects aboveground carbon assimilation and CO2 efflux in trees
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 555–565, January 2013
How to Cite
Bloemen, J., McGuire, M. A., Aubrey, D. P., Teskey, R. O. and Steppe, K. (2013), Transport of root-respired CO2 via the transpiration stream affects aboveground carbon assimilation and CO2 efflux in trees. New Phytologist, 197: 555–565. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04366.x
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAY 2012
- Special Research Fund (B.O.F.)
- U.S. National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 1021150
- 2003. Non-foliar photosynthesis – a strategy of additional carbon acquisition. Flora 198: 81–97. , .
- 2001. Age-dependent bark photosynthesis of aspen twigs. Trees-Structure and Function 15: 431–437. , , .
- 2011. Spatial and temporal patterns of xylem sap pH derived from stems and twigs of Populus deltoides L. Environmental and Experimental Botany 71: 376–381. , , , .
- 2009. Root-derived CO2 efflux via xylem stream rivals soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 35–40. , .
- 2005. Predicting the onset of net carbon uptake by deciduous forests with soil temperature and climate data: a synthesis of FLUXNET data. International Journal of Biometeorology 49: 377–387. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Tree stem phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPc): lack of biochemical and localization evidence for a C4-like photosynthesis system. New Phytologist 176: 775–781. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic refixation in branches of western white pine. Functional Ecology 14: 300–311. , .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination in photosynthetic bark. Oecologia 128: 24–35. , , , .
- 2006. Chlorophyll distribution pattern in inner stem tissues: evidence from epifluorescence microscopy and reflectance measurements in 20 woody species. Trees 20: 515–521. , , .
- 2007. Soil DIC uptake and fixation in Pinus taeda seedlings and its c contribution to plant tissues and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Tree Physiology 27: 375–383. , , , .
- 1985. A new method of sap flow measurement in tree stems. Annales Des Sciences Forestieres 42: 193–200. .
- 2012. Transpiration alters the contribution of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 194: 647–653. , , .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2009. Root carbon flux: measurements versus mechanisms. New Phytologist 184: 4–6. , .
- 2002. Characteristics of C4 photosynthesis in stems and petioles of c-3 flowering plants. Nature 415: 451–454. , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Carbon flow in the rhizosphere: carbon trading at the soil–root interface. Plant and Soil 321: 5–33. , , .
- 2006. Sources of CO2 efflux from soil and review of partitioning methods. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 425–448. .
- 2010. Review: time lag between photosynthesis and carbon dioxide efflux from soil: a review of mechanisms and controls. Global Change Biology 16: 3386–3406. , .
- 2008. Roles of the bundle sheath cells in leaves of C3 plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1663–1673. .
- 2010. The european carbon balance. Part 3: forests. Global Change Biology 16: 1429–1450. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. CO2 balance of boreal, temperate, and tropical forests derived from a global database. Global Change Biology 13: 2509–2537. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1933. The pneumatic system of plants especially trees. Washington, DC, USA: Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication. , .
- 2009. Assimilation of xylem-transported 13C-labelled CO2 in leaves and branches of sycamore (Platanus occidentalis L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3809–3817. , , .
- 2002. Microelectrode technique for in situ measurement of carbon dioxide concentrations in xylem sap of trees. Tree Physiology 22: 807–811. , .
- 2004. Estimating stem respiration in trees by a mass balance approach that accounts for internal and external fluxes of CO2. Tree Physiology 24: 571–578. , .
- 2008. The effect of carbon dioxide enrichment on apparent stem respiration from Pinus taeda L. Is confounded by high levels of soil carbon dioxide. Oecologia 158: 1–10. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ecology and ecophysiology of tree stems: corticular and wood photosynthesis. Naturwissenschaften 89: 147–162. , , , , .
- 2011. Pulse labeling of dissolved 13C-carbonate into tree xylem: developing a new method to determine the fate of recently fixed photosynthate. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 25: 33–40. , .
- 2008. Green plastids, maximal PSH photochemical efficiency and starch content of inner stem tissues of three mediterranean woody species during the year. Flora 203: 350–357. , .
- 1984. Studies on the leaf of Populus deltoides (Salicaceae) – morphology and anatomy. American Journal of Botany 71: 1398–1415. , .
- 2010. Woody tissue photosynthesis and its contribution to trunk growth and bud development in young plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1949–1958. , , , .
- 2010. A comparison of sap flux density using thermal dissipation, heat pulse velocity and heat field deformation methods. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150: 1046–1056. , , , .
- 2007. Resistance to radial CO2 diffusion contributes to between-tree variation in CO2 efflux of Populus deltoides stems. Functional Plant Biology 34: 785–792. , , , , .
- 1993. Refixation of xylem sap CO2 in Populus deltoides. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 243–251. , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of abiotic and biotic soil 13CO2 effluxes after in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling of a boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 183: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A simple calibration improved the accuracy of the thermal dissipation technique for sap flow measurements in juvenile trees of six species. Trees-Structure and Function 26: 631–640. , , .
- 2002. Carbon dioxide transport in xylem causes errors in estimation of rates of respiration in stems and branches of trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1571–1577. , .
- 2005. CO2 transported in xylem sap affects CO2 efflux from liquidambar styraciflua Liquidambar styraciflua and Platanus occidentalis stems, and contributes to observed wound respiration phenomena. Trees-Structure and Function 19: 357–362. , .
- 2007. Measurement of stem respiration of sycamore (Platanus occidentalis L.) trees involves internal and external fluxes of CO2 and possible transport of CO2 from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 570–579. , .
- 2008. Origin, fate and significance of CO2 in tree stems. New Phytologist 177: 17–32. , , , .
- 2006. Carbon respired by terrestrial ecosystems – recent progress and challenges. Global Change Biology 12: 141–153. .
- 2009. Storage and transpiration have negligible effects on13C of stem CO2 efflux in large conifer trees. Tree Physiology 29: 1563–1574. , , , , , .
- 1993. Pith cells of poplar contain photosynthetically active chloroplasts. Planta 189: 70–73. , , , .
- 1985. HCO3− uptake through roots and its effect on the productivity of willow cuttings. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 531–534. , .
- 2001. Hydrogel control of xylem hydraulic resistance in plants. Science 291: 1059–1062. , , .