These authors contributed equally to this work.
Transcription activator-like (TAL) effectors targeting OsSWEET genes enhance virulence on diverse rice (Oryza sativa) varieties when expressed individually in a TAL effector-deficient strain of Xanthomonas oryzae
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 196, Issue 4, pages 1197–1207, December 2012
How to Cite
Verdier, V., Triplett, L. R., Hummel, A. W., Corral, R., Cernadas, R. A., Schmidt, C. L., Bogdanove, A. J. and Leach, J. E. (2012), Transcription activator-like (TAL) effectors targeting OsSWEET genes enhance virulence on diverse rice (Oryza sativa) varieties when expressed individually in a TAL effector-deficient strain of Xanthomonas oryzae. New Phytologist, 196: 1197–1207. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04367.x
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- Marie Curie IOF Fellowship. Grant Number: PIOF-GA-2009-235457
- CSU Infectious Diseases Supercluster
- the United States Agency for International Development Linkage Project
- Colorado Agricultural Experiment Station
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 0820831
- 2010. Rice xa13 recessive resistance to bacterial blight is defeated by induction of the disease susceptibility gene Os-11N3. Plant Cell 22: 3864–3876. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae avirulence genes contribute differently and specifically to pathogen aggressiveness. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 13: 1322–1329. , , , , .
- 2012. High-throughput genomic sequencing of cassava bacterial blight strains identifies conserved effectors to target for durable resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 109(28): 1972–1979. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Growth dynamics of Xanthomonas campestris pv. oryzae in leaves of rice differential cultivars. Phytopathology 79: 573–578. , , , .
- 2010. Xanthomonas AvrBs3 family-type III effectors: discovery and function. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48: 419–436. , .
- 2009. Breaking the code of DNA binding specificity of TAL-type III effectors. Science 326: 1509–1512. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Two new complete genome sequences offer insight into host and tissue specificity of plant pathogenic Xanthomonas spp. Journal of Bacteriology 193: 5450–5464. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. TAL effectors: finding plant genes for disease and defense. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 394–401. , , .
- 2011. Efficient design and assembly of custom TALEN and other TAL effector-based constructs for DNA targeting. Nucleic Acids Research 39: e82. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Sugar transporters for intercellular exchange and nutrition of pathogens. Nature 468: 527–532. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Sucrose efflux mediated by SWEET proteins as a key step for phloem transport. Science 335: 207–211. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Identification of the XorII methyltransferase gene and a vsr homolog from Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae. Molecular and General Genetics 244: 383–390. , .
- 2005. R gene expression induced by a type-III effector triggers disease resistance in rice. Nature 435: 1122–1125. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Multilocus sequence analysis and type III effector repertoire mining provide new insights into the evolutionary history and virulence of Xanthomonas oryzae. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 288–302. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Identification of a family of avirulence genes from Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 5: 451–459. , , , , .
- 2012. Addition of transcription activator-like effector binding sites to a pathogen strain-specific rice bacterial blight resistance gene makes it effective against additional strains and against bacterial leaf streak. New Phytologist 195: 883–893. , , .
- 2004. The rice bacterial blight resistance gene xa5 encodes a novel form of disease resistance. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 1348–1354. , .
- 1922. Studies on bacterial blight of rice. Report of Agricultural Experiment Station, Tokyo 45: 233–261. .
- 1989. Identification of low-virulence strains of Xanthomonas campestris pv. oryzae from rice in the United States. Phytopathology 79: 984–990. , , , , , .
- 1973. A comparative study of culture media for Xanthomonas oryzae. Philippine Agriculture 57: 141–152. , , .
- 1973. An improved technique for evaluating resistance of rice varieties to Xanthomonas oryzae (bacterial blight). Plant Disease Reports 57: 537–541. , , , .
- 2009. Genomics based diagnostic marker development for Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae and X. oryzae pv. oryzicola. Phytopathology 99: 311–319. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Assessment of genetic diversity and population structure of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae with a repetitive DNA element. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58: 2188–2195. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2− ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2009. A germin-like protein gene family functions as a complex quantitative trait locus conferring broad-spectrum disease resistance in rice. Plant Physiology 149: 286–296. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Genomewide SNP variation reveals relationships among landraces and modern varieties of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 12273–12278. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A simple cipher governs DNA recognition by TAL effectors. Science 326: 1501–1502. , .
- 1991. Race-specific resistance to Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae conferred by bacterial blight resistance gene Xa-10 in rice (Oryza sativa) involves accumulation of a lignin-like substance in host tissues. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 38: 39–55. , .
- 2007. Plant pathogen recognition mediated by promoter activation of the pepper Bs3 resistance gene. Science 318: 645–648. , , , , , .
- 2010. Promoter elements of rice susceptibility genes are bound and activated by specific TAL effectors from the bacterial blight pathogen, Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae. New Phytologist 187: 1048–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Comparison of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae strains from Africa, North America, and Asia by restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis. International Rice Research Notes 20: 25–26. , .
- 2007. Two type III effector genes of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae control the induction of the host genes OsTFIIAγ1 and OsTFX1 during bacterial blight of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 10720. , , , .
- 1990. Reclassification of the causal agents of bacterial blight (Xanthomonas campestris pv. oryzae) and bacterial leaf streak (Xanthomonas campestris pv. oryzicola) of rice as pathovars of Xanthomonas orzae (ex Ishiyama 1922) sp. nov., nom. rev. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 40: 309–311. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Genomic analysis of Xanthomonas oryzae isolates from rice grown in the United States reveals substantial divergence from known X. oryzae pathovars. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 3930–3937. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The type III effectors of Xanthomonas. Molecular Plant Pathology 10: 749–766. , , , .
- 2006. Os8N3 is a host disease-susceptibility gene for bacterial blight of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 10503–10508. , , .
- 1996. Watersoaking function(s) of XcmH1005 are redundantly encoded by members of the Xanthomonas avr/pth gene family. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 9: 105–113. , , .
- 2011. Colonization of rice leaf blades by an African strain of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae depends on a new TAL effector that induces the rice nodulin-3 Os11N3 gene. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 24: 1102–1113. , , , , , , , , .