These authors contributed equally to this work.
Nitric oxide generated by the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae drives plant infection
Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 1, pages 207–222, January 2013
How to Cite
Samalova, M., Johnson, J., Illes, M., Kelly, S., Fricker, M. and Gurr, S. (2013), Nitric oxide generated by the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae drives plant infection. New Phytologist, 197: 207–222. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04368.x
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUN 2012
- BBSRC. Grant Number: BB/G00207x/1
- 1993. Antagonistic action of imidazolineoxyl N-oxides against endothelium-derived relaxing factor/•NO through a radical reaction. Biochemistry 32: 827–832. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibition. Biochemical Journal 357: 593–615. , , .
- 1995. Nitric-oxide – a synchronizing chemical messenger. Experientia 51: 545–550. .
- 1999. Short protocols in molecular biology: a compendium of methods from current protocols in molecular biology. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley Press. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterisation and biosynthesis of D-erythroascorbic acid in Phycomyces blakesleeanus. Fungal Genetics and Biology 42: 390–402. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The language of nitric oxide signalling. Plant Biology 13: 233–242. .
- 2008. New insights into nitric oxide signaling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 21–39. , , .
- 2004. Apoplastic synthesis of nitric oxide by plant tissues. Plant Cell 16: 332–341. , , .
- 1990. In vitro development of penetration structures in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 329–342. , .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2009. Nitrosative and oxidative stress responses in fungal pathogenicity. Current Opinion in Microbiology 12: 384–391. , , .
- 1990. Functional domains of assimilatory nitrate reductases and nitrite reductases. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 15: 315–319. , .
- 2012. MergeAlign: improving multiple sequence alignment performance by dynamic reconstruction of consensus multiple sequence alignments. BMC Bioinformatics 13: 117–125. , .
- 2004. Non-invasive online detection of nitric oxide from plants and some other organisms by mass spectrometry. Plant Journal 38: 1015–1022. , , , .
- 2004. Cellular and subcellular localization of endogenous nitric oxide in young and senescent pea plants. Plant Physiology 136: 2722–2733. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evidence supporting the existence of L-arginine-dependent nitric oxide synthase activity in plants. New Phytologist 184: 9–14. , , , .
- 1976. Chlorate toxicity in Aspergillus nidulans: The selection and characterisation of chlorate resistant mutants. Heredity 36: 191–203. .
- 1998. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in plant disease resistance. Nature 394: 585–588. , , , .
- 2001. Signal interactions between nitric oxide and reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13454–13459. , , , .
- 2007. Magnaporthe as a model for understanding host-pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 45: 437–456. .
- 1998. Profile hidden Markov models. Bioinformatics 14: 755–763. .
- 2007. Generation of reactive oxygen species by fungal NADPH oxidases is required for rice blast disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 11772–11777. , , , , .
- 2010. The Pfam protein families database. Nucleic Acids Research 38: D211–D222. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Emerging fungal threats to animal, plant and ecosystem health. Nature 484: 186–194. , , , , , , .
- 2007. An early nitric oxide burst and the following wave of secondary nitric oxide generation enhanced effective defence responses of pelargonium to a necrotrophic pathogen. New Phytologist 175: 718–730. , , , , .
- 2010. Characterization of a nitric oxide synthase from the plant kingdom: NO generation from the green alga Ostreococcus tauri is light irradiance and growth phase dependent. Plant Cell 22: 3816–3830. , , , , , .
- 1997. 1400W is a slow, tight binding, and highly selective inhibitor of inducible nitric-oxide synthase in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 959–4963. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hunting for plant nitric oxide synthase provides new evidence of a central role for plastids in nitric oxide metabolism. Plant Cell 21: 18–23. , , , .
- 2001. Role of erythroascorbate and ascorbate in sclerotial differentiation in Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Mycological Research 105: 1364–1370. , .
- 2001. Nitric oxide synthase is induced in sporulation of Physarum polycephalum. Genes & Development 15: 1299–1309. , , , , .
- 2007. L-arginine is essential for conidiation in the filamentous fungus Coniothyrium minitans. Fungal Genetics and Biology 44: 1368–1379. , , , , , .
- 2007. Nitric-oxide synthase: a cytochrome P450 family foster child. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1770: 432–445. , .
- 2000. The hypersensitive response facilitates plant infection by the necrotrophic pathogen Botrytis cinerea. Current Biology 10: 751–757. , .
- 1999. Nitric oxide - I. Physiological chemistry of nitric oxide and its metabolites: implications in inflammation. American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 276: G315–G321. , , .
- 2003. Identification of a plant nitric oxide synthase gene involved in hormonal signaling. Science 302: 100–103. , , .
- 2011. On the origins of nitric oxide. Trends in Plant Science 16: 160–168. , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide function and signalling in plant disease resistance. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 147–154. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Endothelium-derived relaxing factor produced and released from artery and vein is nitric-oxide. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 84: 9265–9269. , , , , .
- 2005. Improvement in the accuracy of multiple sequence alignment program MAFFT. Genome Information 16: 22–33. , , , .
- 2011. Archaeal phylogenomics provides evidence in support of a methanogenic origin of the Archaea and a thaumarchaeal origin for the eukaryotes. Philosphical Transactions Royal Society London B, Biological Sciences 278: 1009–1018. .
- 2001. Bioimaging of nitric oxide with fluorescent indicators based on the rhodamine chromophore. Analytical Chemistry 73: 1967–1973. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Detection and imaging of nitric oxide with novel fluorescent indicators: diaminofluoresceins. Analytical Chemistry 70: 2446–2453. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fluorescent indicators for imaging nitric oxide production. Angew Chemica 38: 3209–3212. , , , , , .
- 2005. The novel red-fluorescent probe DAR-4M measures reactive nitrogen species rather than NO. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 52: 335–340. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mitochondrial NO and reactive nitrogen species production: does mtNOS exist? Nitric Oxide 14: 162–168. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. An improved general amino acid replacement matrix. Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 1307–1320. , .
- 2008. The nitrate-nitrite-nitric oxide pathway in physiology and therapeutics. Nature Review Drug Discovery 7: 156–167. , , .
- 2001. Role of nitric oxide synthase in the light-induced development of sporangiophores in Phycomyces blakesleeanus. Plant Physiology 126: 1323–1330. , , , .
- 2009. Physarum nitric oxide synthases: genomic structures and enzymology of recombinant proteins. Biochemical Journal 418: 691–700. , , , , , , .
- 2008. AtNOS/AtNOA1 is a functional Arabidopsis thaliana cGTPase and not a nitric-oxide synthase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 32957–32967. , , , , .
- 2010. NO synthesis and signaling in plants - where do we stand? Physiologia Plantarum 138: 372–383. , , , .
- 2002. Nitrite accumulation and nitric oxide emission in relation to cellular signaling in nitrite reductase antisense tobacco. Planta 215: 708–715. , , , , , , .
- 2006. NO way to live; the various roles of nitric oxide in plant-pathogen interactions. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 489–505. , , .
- 2011. Methods of nitric oxide detection in plants: a commentary. Plant Science 181: 509–519. , , , , .
- 2009. Bioimaging probes for reactive oxygen species and reactive nitrogen species. Journal Clinical Biochemistry Nutrition 45: 111–124. .
- 1999. Inhibitory effects of catecholamines and anti-oxidants on the fluorescence reaction of 4,5-diaminofluorescein, DAF-2, a novel indicator of nitric oxide. Journal of Biochemistry 125: 658–661. , , .
- 1998. Improved nitric oxide detection using 2,3-diaminonaphthalene and its application to the evaluation of novel nitric oxide synthase inhibitors. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin 21: 1247–1250. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Nitric-Oxide release accounts for the biological-activity of endothelium-derivedrelaxing factor. Nature 327: 524–526. , , .
- 2001. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 29: e45. .
- 1999. Nitric oxide: chemical puzzles posed by a biological messenger. Angewandte Chemie, International Edition 38: 1715–1731. , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide emission from tobacco leaves and cell suspensions: rate limiting factors and evidence for the involvement of mitochondrial electron transport. Plant Journal 41: 732–743. , , , .
- 2008. Pathogen-derived nitric oxide influences formation of the appressorium infection structure in the phytopathogenic fungus Blumeria graminis. Research in Microbiology 159: 476–480. , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide contributes both to papilla-based resistance and the hypersensitive response in barley attacked by Blumeria graminis f. sp hordei. Molecular Plant Pathology 6: 65–78. , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of nitric oxide (NO) production by plant nitrate reductase in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 103–110. , , , , .
- 2009. Plant cells oxidize hydroxylamines to NO. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2065–2072. , , .
- 2005. Guanylyl cyclases across the tree of life. Frontiers in Bioscience-Landmark 10: 1485–1498. .
- 2007. Magnaporthe grisea cutinase 2 mediates appressorium differentiation and host penetration and is required for full virulence. Plant Cell 19: 2674–2689. , .
- 2009. Against the grain: safeguarding rice from rice blast disease. Trends in Biotechnology 27: 141–150. , .
- 2006. RAxML-VI-HPC: maximum likelihood-based phylogenetic analyses with thousands of taxa and mixed models. Bioinformatics 22: 2688–2690. .
- 2006. Formation and possible roles of nitric oxide in plant roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 463–470. , .
- 2010. DendroPy: a Python library for phylogenetic computing. Bioinformatics 26: 1569–1571. , .
- 1993. Identification and characterization of Mpg1, a gene involved in pathogenicity from the rice blastfungus Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Cell 5: 1575–1590. , , .
- 2006. Polyamines induce rapid biosynthesis of nitric oxide (NO) in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 346–354. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Flux of nitric oxide between the necrotrophic pathogen Botrytis cinerea and the host plant. Molecular Plant Pathology 12: 606–616. , .
- 2004. Induction of programmed cell death in lily by the fungal pathogen Botrytis elliptica. Molecular Plant Pathology 5: 559–574. , , .
- 2008. Methods for nitric oxide detection during plant-pathogen interactions. Methods in Enzymology 437: 575–594. , .
- 2006. Autophagic fungal cell death is necessary for infection by the rice blast fungus. Science 312: 580–583. , , , , .
- 2008. Measuring NO production by plant tissues and suspension cultured cells. Molecular Plant 1: 270–284. , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide has a regulatory effect in the germination of conidia of Colletotrichum coccodes. Fungal Genetics and Biology 42: 284–292. , .
- 2007. Fluorescent and luminescent probes for measurement of oxidative and nitrosative species in cells and tissues: progress, pitfalls, and prospects. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 43: 995–1022. .
- 1994. Pteridine biosynthesis and nitric oxide synthase in Physarum polycephalum. Biochemical Journal 304: 105–111. , , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide synthesis and signalling in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 622–631. , , .
- 2009. Under pressure: investigating the biology of plant infection by Magnaporthe oryzae. Nature Review Microbiology 7: 185–195. , .
- 2011. Polyamines, polyamine oxidases and nitric oxide in development, abiotic and biotic stresses. Plant Sciences 181: 593–603. , , .
- 2008. Reconciling the chemistry and biology of reactive oxygen species. Nature Chemical Biology 4: 278–286. .
- 2000. Nitrite–dependent nitric oxide production pathway: implications for involvement of active nitrogen species in photoinhibition in vivo.. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 355: 1477–1488. .
- 2006. NO signal at the crossroads: polyamine-induced nitric oxide synthesis in plants? Trends in Plant Science 11: 522–524. , .
- 1999. An alternative pathway for nitric oxide production in plants: new features of an old enzyme. Trends in Plant Science 4: 128–129. , , .
- 2008. Simultaneous nitric oxide and dehydroascorbic acid imaging by combining diaminofluoresceins and diaminorhodamines. Journal Neuroscience Methods 168: 373–382. , , .
- 2006. Cross talk between reactive nitrogen and oxygen species during the hypersensitive disease resistance response. Plant Physiology 141: 379–383. , , , .
- 2004. Genetic elucidation of nitric oxide signaling in incompatible plant-pathogen interactions. Plant Physiology 136: 2875–2886. , , , , , .
- 2002. Interfering with nitric oxide measurements. 4,5-Diaminofluorescein reacts with dehydroascorbic acid and ascorbic acid. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 48472–48478. , , , , , , .