Mixed-linkage glucan:xyloglucan endotransglucosylase (MXE) re-models hemicelluloses in Equisetum shoots but not in barley shoots or Equisetum callus
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 1, pages 111–122, January 2013
How to Cite
Mohler, K. E., Simmons, T. J. and Fry, S. C. (2013), Mixed-linkage glucan:xyloglucan endotransglucosylase (MXE) re-models hemicelluloses in Equisetum shoots but not in barley shoots or Equisetum callus. New Phytologist, 197: 111–122. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04371.x
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2012
- UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- 2011. Plant cell walls. New York, NY, USA: Garland Science. , , , , .
- 2004. Mixed linkage (13),(14)-β-d-glucans of grasses. Cereal Chemistry 81: 115–127. , , , , .
- 2009. (1,3;1,4)-β-d-Glucans in cell walls of the Poaceae, lower plants, and fungi: a tale of two linkages. Molecular Plant 2: 873–882. , .
- 2009. The Carbohydrate-Active EnZymes database (CAZy): an expert resource for glycogenomics. Nucleic Acids Research 37: D233–D238. , , , , , .
- 1993. Structural models of primary cell walls in flowering plants: consistency of molecular structure with the physical properties of the walls during growth. Plant Journal 3: 1–30. , .
- 2010. The XTH gene family: an update on enzyme structure, function, and phylogeny in xyloglucan remodeling. Plant Physiology 153: 456–466. , .
- 2009. Revolutionary times in our understanding of cell wall biosynthesis and remodeling in the grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 27–37. .
- 2011. Phylogenetic variation in glycosidases and glycanases acting on plant cell wall polysaccharides, and the detection of transglycosidase and trans-β-xylanase activities. Plant Journal 67: 662–681. , .
- 2012a. Trans-α-xylosidase and trans-β-galactosidase activities, widespread in plants, modify and stabilise xyloglucan structures. Plant Journal 71: 45–60. , .
- 2012b. Trans-α-xylosidase, a widespread enzyme activity in plants, introduces (14)-α-d-xylobiose side-chains into xyloglucan structures. Phytochemistry 78: 29–43. , .
- 2000. The growing plant cell wall: chemical and metabolic analysis, reprint edition. Caldwell, NJ, USA: The Blackburn Press. .
- 2004. Tansley Review: primary cell wall metabolism: tracking the careers of wall polymers in living plant cells. New Phytologist 161: 641–675. .
- 2011. Chapter 1: cell wall polysaccharide composition and covalent cross-linking. In: Ulvskov P, ed. Annual plant reviews, vol. 41, plant polysaccharides, biosynthesis and bioengineering. Chichester, UK: Blackwell, 1–42. doi: 10.1002/9781444391015.ch1 .
- 2008b. Mixed-linkage β-glucan: xyloglucan endotransglucosylase, a novel wall-remodelling enzyme from Equisetum (horsetails) and charophytic algae. Plant Journal 55: 240–252. , , , .
- 2008a. Mixed-linkage (13,14)-β-d-glucan is a major hemicellulose of Equisetum (horsetail) cell walls. New Phytologist 179: 104–115. , , , .
- 1992. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase, a new wall-loosening enzyme-activity from plants. Biochemical Journal 282: 821–828. , , , , , .
- 1993. An unambiguous nomenclature for xyloglucan-derived oligosaccharides. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 1–3. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Changes in cell wall polysaccharides in developing barley (Hordeum vulgare) coleoptiles. Planta 221: 729–738. , , , .
- 2011. Cloning, characterization, and expression of xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase and expansin genes associated with petal growth and development during carnation flower opening. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 815–823. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase activity in carrot cell suspensions during cell elongation and somatic embryogenesis. Plant Physiology 103: 987–992. , .
- 2007. A barley xyloglucan xyloglucosyl transferase covalently links xyloglucan, cellulosic substrates, and (1,3;1,4)-β-d-glucans. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 12951–12962. , , , .
- 2009. Xyloglucans of monocotyledons have diverse structures. Molecular Plant 2: 943–965. , .
- 1994. Thin-layer chromatography: reagents and detection methods. Volume 1b. Physical and chemical detection methods; activation reactions, reagent sequences, reagents II. New York, NY, USA: VCH Weinheim. , , , .
- 2010. Polysaccharide microarrays for high-throughput screening of transglycosylase activities in plant extracts. Glycoconjugate Journal 27: 79–87. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Effect of the label of oligosaccharide acceptors on the kinetic parameters of nasturtium seed xyloglucan endotransglycosylase (XET). Carbohydrate Research 346: 357–361. , , , , , .
- 1983. Degradation of xyloglucan by wall-bound enzymes from soybean tissue. 2. Degradation of the fragment heptasaccharide from xyloglucan and the characteristic action pattern of the α-d-xylosidase in the enzyme-system. Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 155–162. , , , .
- 2011. New insight into silica deposition in horsetail (Equisetum arvense). BMC Plant Biology 11: 112–130. , .
- 2010. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase/hydrolase genes in cotton and their role in fiber elongation. Planta 232: 1191–1205. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Restricted access of proteins to mannan polysaccharides in intact plant cell walls. Plant Journal 64: 191–203. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Pectic homogalacturonan masks abundant sets of xyloglucan epitopes in plant cell walls. BMC Plant Biology 8: 60. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Enzymic characterization of two recombinant xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase (XTH) proteins of Arabidopsis and their effect on root growth and cell wall extension. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3959–3972. , , , , .
- 2008. Xyloglucan: the molecular muscle of trees. Annals of Botany 102: 659–665. , , .
- 2011. Xyloglucan endotransglucosylase and cell wall extensibility. Journal of Plant Physiology 168: 196–203. , , , , , .
- 2011. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase-mediated xyloglucan rearrangements in developing wood of hybrid aspen. Plant Physiology 155: 399–413. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Division of roles among members of the XTH gene family in plants. Plant Biosystems 139: 98–101. .
- 1992. Endo-xyloglucan transferase, a novel class of glycosyltransferase that catalyzes transfer of a segment of xyloglucan molecule to another xyloglucan molecule. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 21058–21064. , .
- 2007. Primary cell wall structure in the evolution of land plants. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 1271–1278. , .
- 1999. A xyloglucan-specific endo-β-1,4-glucanase from Aspergillus aculeatus: expression cloning in yeast, purification and characterization of the recombinant enzyme. Glycobiology 9: 93–100. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Moss and liverwort xyloglucans contain galacturonic acid and are structurally distinct from the xyloglucans synthesized by hornworts and vascular plants. Glycobiology 18: 891–904. , , , , .
- 2000. Bacterial 1,3-1,4-β-glucanases: structure, function and protein engineering. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Protein Structure and Molecular Enzymology 1543: 361–382. .
- 2008. Evolution and diversity of green plant cell walls. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 286–292. .
- 2003. Primary cell wall composition of bryophytes and charophytes. Annals of Botany 91: 1–12. , .
- 2004. Primary cell wall composition of pteridophytes and spermatophytes. New Phytologist 164: 165–174. , .
- 2008. Xyloglucan–pectin linkages are formed intra-protoplasmically, contribute to wall-assembly, and remain stable in the cell wall. Planta 227: 781–794. , .
- 2010. Beyond the green: understanding the evolutionary puzzle of plant and algal cell walls. Plant Physiology 153: 373–383. , .
- 2010. Lack of α-xylosidase activity in Arabidopsis alters xyloglucan composition and results in growth defects. Plant Physiology 154: 1105–1115. , , , , , .
- 2010. Light quality-mediated petiole elongation in Arabidopsis during shade avoidance involves cell wall modification by xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolases. Plant Physiology 154: 978–990. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Hemicelluloses. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 263–289. , .
- 2004. Mannan transglycosylase: a novel enzyme activity in cell walls of higher plants. Planta 219: 590–600. , , , .
- 1962. The plant cell wall: a topical study of architecture, dynamics, comparative chemistry and technology in a biological system. International Series of Monographs on Pure and Applied Biology. Plant Physiology Division. Volume 2. Oxford, UK: Pergamon Press. .
- 2000. Characterisation of extracellular polysaccharides from suspension cultures of members of the Poaceae. Planta 210: 261–268. , , , , .
- 2010. How have plant cell walls evolved? Plant Physiology 153: 366–372. , , .
- 2008. Mixed-linkage (13,14)-β-d-glucan is not unique to the Poales and is an abundant component of Equisetum arvense cell walls. The Plant Journal 54: 510–521. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases (XETs) from germinating nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) seeds: isolation and characterization of the major form. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 48: 207–215. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cellulose biosynthesis and deposition in higher plants. New Phytologist 178: 239–252. .
- 2000. Evidence for covalent linkage between xyloglucan and acidic pectins in suspension-cultured rose cells. Planta 211: 275–286. , .
- 2001. Restructuring of wall-bound xyloglucan by transglycosylation in living plant cells. Plant Journal 26: 23–34. , .
- 1997. Xyloglucan undergoes interpolymeric transglycosylation during binding to the plant cell wall in vivo: evidence from 13C/3H dual labelling and isopycnic centrifugation in caesium trifluoroacetate. Biochemical Journal 327: 699–708. , , .
- 2005. (13),(14)-β-d-Glucans in the cell walls of the Poales (sensu lato): an immunogold labeling study using a monoclonal antibody. American Journal of Botany 92: 1660–1674. , , .
- 2007. Xyloglucan endotransglucosylase activity loosens a plant cell wall. Annals of Botany 100: 1467–1473. , , , .
- 1997. Two general branching patterns of xyloglucan, XXXG and XXGG. Plant Physiology 114: 9–13. , , , .
- 2012. Evolution of mixed-linkage (13,14)-β-d-glucan (MLG) and xyloglucan in Equisetum (horsetails) and other monilophytes. Annals of Botany 109: 873–886. , .
- 2004. A surprising diversity and abundance of xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolases in rice. Classification and expression analysis. Plant Physiology 134: 1088–1099. , , .