* This paper was delivered as the inaugural lecture at the third meeting of the European Association of Social Anthropologists in Oslo, June 1994.
The cloud god and the shadow self*
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2007
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 83–94, June 1995
How to Cite
DOUGLAS, M. (1995), The cloud god and the shadow self. Social Anthropology, 3: 83–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8676.1995.tb00295.x
As I have wanted for a long time to compare the idea of God with the idea of the self numerous acknowledgements are due. The first draft was prepared for the 1989 Gifford Lectures in Edinburgh, called ‘Claims on God', but as the editing of those lectures progressed the chapter on the Cloud did not fit into the subsequent publication, In the wilderness (1993). I tried it again in the University of Frankfurt in 1990, and in Honolulu at the ISISS in 1992. I thank those who have helped to develop the theme by discussing it with me, particularly Ronald Hendel, Anita Jacobson-Widding, Robert Littman, Emmanuel Sivan and Werner Schiffauer.
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2007
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!