Follow-up of children with language delay and features of autism from preschool years to middle childhood
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2007
Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology
Volume 44, Issue 12, pages 812–819, December 2002
How to Cite
Michelotti, J., Charman, T., Slonims, V. and Baird, G. (2002), Follow-up of children with language delay and features of autism from preschool years to middle childhood. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 44: 812–819. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8749.2002.tb00771.x
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2007
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2007
- Accepted for publication 10th July 2002.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 3rd edn - Revised. Washington DC : American Psychiatric Association.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. Washington DC : American Psychiatric Association.
- 1975 A comparative study of infantile autism and specific developmental receptive language disorder: I. The children. Br J Psychiatry 126: 127–45. , , .
- 1977 A comparative study of infantile autism and specific receptive language disorders: III. Discriminant function analysis. J Autism Child Schizoph 7: 383–96. , , .
- 1996 Long-term consistency in speech/language profiles: II. Behavioral, emotional, and social outcomes. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 35: 815–25. , , , , , .
- 1999 Autism screening questionnaire: diagnostic validity. Br J Psychiatry 175: 444–51. , , , , .
- 1989 Autism, Asperger's syndrome and semantic-pragmatic disorder: where are the boundaries Br J Disord Commun 24: 107–21. .
- 1998 Development of the Children's Communication Checklist (CCC): a method for assessing qualitative aspects of communicative impairment in children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 39: 879–91. .
- 2000 What's so special about Asperger syndrome? The need for further exploration of the borderlands of autism. In KlinA, VolkmarFR, SparrowSS. editors. Asperger syndrome. New York : Guildford Press. p 254–77. .
- 2001 Parent and teacher report of pragmatic aspects of communication: use of the Children's Communication Checklist in a clinical setting. Dev Med Child Neurol 43: 809–18. , .
- Exploring the borderlands of autistic disorder and specific language impairment: a study using standardized diagnostic instruments. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. (Forthcoming). , .
- 1999 Pragmatic language impairment without autism: the children in question. Autism 3: 371–96. , .
- 1976 Is autism primarily a language disorder Br J Disord Commun 11: 135–43. .
- 1996 The Cambridge Language and Speech Project (CLASP). I. Detection of language difficulties at 36 to 39 months. Dev Med Child Neurol 38: 613–31. , , , .
- 1989 Infantile autism and developmental receptive dysphasia: a comparative follow-up into middle childhood. J Autism Dev Disord 19: 19–31. , , , .
- 2002 Practitioner Review: diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder in 2- and 3-year-old children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry, 43: 289–305. , .
- 1972 The relation of early infantile autism and developmental language disorders of childhood. J Autism Child Schizoph 2: 182–97. .
- 2001 Follow-up of children attending infant language units: outcomes at 11 years of age. Int J Lang Commun Disord 36: 207–19. , , , .
- 1997 A follow-up study of children attending a primary-age language unit. Eur J Disord Commun 32: 19–36. , .
- 1996 Brief report: stability and change in cognitive and behavioural characteristics of autism through childhood. J Autism Dev Disord 26: 557–69. , .
- 2000 Chromosome 7q: where autism meets language disorder Am J Hum Genet 67: 278–81. , .
- 2000 Autism and developmental receptive language disorder - a follow-up comparison in early adult life. II: Social, behavioural, and psychiatric outcomes. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 41: 561–78. , , .
- 1983 Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children. Circle Pines , MN : American Guidance Service. , .
- 1996 Comorbidity of autistic disorder and specific developmental language disorder: existing evidence and some promising future directions. In: BeitchmanJH, CohenNJ, KonstantareasMM, TannockR, editors. Language, Learning and Behaviour Disorders. New York : Cambridge University Press. p 178–96. , .
- 1996 A broader phenotype of autism: the clinical spectrum in twins. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 37: 785–801. , , , , , , .
- 1952 Leiter International Performance Scale. Wood Dale , IL : Stoetling. .
- 1979 Leiter International Performance Scale-Revised. Wood Dale , IL : Stoetling. .
- 1994 Autism Diagnostic Interview - Revised: a revised version of a diagnostic interview forcaregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 24: 659–85. , , .
- 1996 Language level and nonverbal social communicative behaviours in autistic and language-delayed children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 35: 1542–50. , .
- 1998 Frameworks and methods in diagnosing autism spectrum disorders. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 4: 90–6. , .
- 1993 Differentiating pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified from autism and language disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 23: 79–90. , , , .
- 2000 Autism and developmental receptive language disorder - a follow-up comparison in early adult life. I: Cognitive and language outcomes. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 41: 547–59. , , .
- 1984 Outcomes of severe disorders of language acquisition. J Autism Dev Disord 14: 405–21. , .
- 1996 Developmental language disorders: a clinical update. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 37: 643–55. .
- 1987 Developmental dysphasia and autism in preschool children: characteristics and subtypes. Paper presented at the First International Symposium on Specific Speech and Language Disorders (AFASIC) Reading, England. , .
- 1998 The semantic-pragmatic deficit disorder: Classification issues. Int J Lang Commun Disord 82: 95–108. , .
- 1985 Reynell Developmental Language Scales 2nd edn. Windsor : NFER Nelson. .
- 1991 Social interactions of speech-and language-impaired children. J Speech Hear Res 34: 1299–307. , , .
- 1987 Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals -Revised. San Antonio , TX : Psychological Corporation. , , .
- 1996 The effect of selection criteria on outcome studies of children with pervasive developmental disorders (PDD). Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 5: 179–84. , .
- 1998 A dimensional classification of autism spectrum disorder by social communication domains. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 37: 271–7. , , .
- 1986 Technical Manual: Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale - 4th edn. Chicago : Riverside Publishing. , , .
- 1992a The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence. Revised edition. Sidcup , UK : Psychological Corporation. .
- 1992b The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, 3rd edn. Sidcup , UK : Psychological Corporation. .
- 1994 Practitioner review. Early developmental language delay: what, if anything, should the clinician do about it J Child Psychol Psychiatry 35: 613–48. , .
- 1992 Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals - Preschool. New York : Psychological Corporation. , , .
- 1988 The continuum of autistic characteristics. In: SchoplerE, MesibovGB, editors. Diagnosis and Assessment in Autism. New York : Plenum Press. .
- 1987 Syndromes of autism and atypical development. In: CohenDJ, DonnellanA, PaulR. editors. Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders. New York : Wiley. p 3–19. , .
- World Health Organization. (1993 The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Diagnostic Criteria for Research. Geneva : World Health Organization.
- 1991 Preschool Language Scales -3. New York : Psychological Corporation. , , .