UK usage: learning disability.
The effects of oral-motor exercises on swallowing in children: an evidence-based systematic review
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2010
© The Authors. Journal compilation © Mac Keith Press 2010
Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology
Volume 52, Issue 11, pages 1000–1013, November 2010
How to Cite
ARVEDSON, J., CLARK, H., LAZARUS, C., SCHOOLING, T. and FRYMARK, T. (2010), The effects of oral-motor exercises on swallowing in children: an evidence-based systematic review. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 52: 1000–1013. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8749.2010.03707.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2010
- PUBLICATION DATA Accepted for publication 11th April 2010. Published online 24th May 2010.
- 1Evaluation of children with feeding and swallowing problems. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch 2000; 31: 28–41..
- 2American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Working Group on Dysphagia in Schools. Guidelines for Speech-Language Pathologists Providing Swallowing and Feeding Services in Schools. Rockville, MD: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2007.
- 9American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Dysphagia Document Review and Revision Working Group. Roles of Speech-Language Pathologists in Swallowing and Feeding Disorders. Rockville, MD: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2002.
- 10Pediatric Swallowing and Feeding: Assessment and Management, 2nd edn. Albany, NY: Singular Publishing Group, 2001., .
- 11Therapy for children with swallowing disorders in the educational setting. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch 2000; 31: 50–5..
- 14The effectiveness of a program of oral sensory-motor therapy with the severely and profoundly developmentally disabled. Occup Ther J Res 1981; 1: 147–60., , .
- 16Neurological Disorders Affecting Oral, Pharyngeal Swallowing. GI Motility Online 2006; doi:10.1038/gimo34..
- 17American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Joint Coordinating Committee on Evidence-Based Practice. Evidence-Based Practice in Communication Disorders. Rockville, MD: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2005.
- 22Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1988..
- 23Meta-analysis for single case research. In: KratochwillTR, LevinJR, editors. Single-Case Research Design and Analysis: New Directions for Psychology and Education. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1992: 187–212., .
- 28Decreasing tongue thrusting and tonic bite reflex through neuromotor and sensory facilitation techniques. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr 1987; 7: 57–75..
- 29The Innsbruck Sensorimotor Activator and Regulator (ISMAR): construction of an intraoral appliance to facilitate ingestive functions. ASDC J Dent Child 1999; 66: 54. 180–7., , .
- 36Evaluation of a new concept of myofunctional therapy in children. Int J Orofacial Myology 2004; 30: 39–52., , , , .
- 38Treatment techniques to encourage lip closure and decrease drooling in persons with cerebral palsy. Occup Ther J Res 1988; 8: 164–75..
- 39Neurophysiological facilitation of eating skills in children with severe handicaps. J Assoc Persons Severe Handicaps 1984; 9: 98–110., .