Childhood emotional and behavioral problems: reducing overdiagnosis without risking undertreatment
Article first published online: 10 MAY 2012
© The Authors. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology © 2012 Mac Keith Press
Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology
Volume 54, Issue 6, pages 492–494, June 2012
How to Cite
BATSTRA, L., HADDERS-ALGRA, M., NIEWEG, E., VAN TOL, D., PIJL, S. J. and FRANCES, A. (2012), Childhood emotional and behavioral problems: reducing overdiagnosis without risking undertreatment. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 54: 492–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8749.2011.04176.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 10 MAY 2012
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Mental health in the United States. Prevalence of diagnosis and medication treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder – United States 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54: 842–7.
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Increasing prevalence of parent-reported attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder among children – United States, 2003 and 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2010; 59: 1439–43.
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders – Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2006. MMWR Surveill Summ 2009; 58: 1–20.
- 5Epidemiology of mental disorders in children and adolescents. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2009; 11: 7–20., , .
- 6The Medicalization of Society: On the Transformation of Human Conditions into Treatable Disorders. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008..
- 11Researchers fail to reveal full drug pay. New York Times 2008 http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/us/08conflict.html (accessed 12 October 2011)., .
- 14Difficult Birth, Difficult Life? Ridderkerk, the Netherlands: Ridderprint Offsetdrukkerij (Dissertation University of Groningen), 2004. (in English).
- 16Making sense of ADHD: a battle for understanding? Parents’ views of their children being diagnosed with ADHD Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry 2004; 9: 327–39., , .
- 17Medicalisation in a therapy culture. In: Wainwright D, editor. A Sociology of Health. London: Sage, 2008: 97–114..
- 19Deficient attention and disordered activity: child psychiatry’s response to ADHD. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry 2003; 8: 167–78..
- 23The impact of screening and advice on inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive children. Eur J Spec Needs Educ 2006; 21: 321–37., .
- 24Social Theory and Social Structure. New York: Free Press, 1968..
- 28The ethics and science of medicating children. Ethical Hum Psychol Psychiatry 2004; 6: 25–39., .
- 29The Role of Diagnosis in Psychiatry. Oxford: Blackwell, 1975..
- 31National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). September 2008. Clinical guideline 72. Available at http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG72 (accessed on 14 October 2011).