Presidential Address, Society for Psychophysiological Research, October 24–27, 1974, Salt Lake City, Utah. This work was supported by research funds. The Grant Foundation, and by Public Health Service research grants HD01490 and HD07035 and a Research Scientist award K3-MH21762. The work of my many collaborators is cited in the text but citation inadequately expresses an indebtedness which is hereby acknowledged, albeit still inadequately.
The More or Less Startling Effects of Weak Prestimulation
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 238–248, May 1975
How to Cite
Graham, F. K. (1975), The More or Less Startling Effects of Weak Prestimulation. Psychophysiology, 12: 238–248. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8986.1975.tb01284.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
- (Manuscript received and accepted January 27, 1975)
- Elicitation of acoustic startle in the human. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Wisconsin, 1973.
- Inhibition and facilitation effects of a pre–pulse on the human blink response to a startle pulse. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. University of Wisconsin, 1972. ,
- Contingent negative variation and cardiac orienting preceding startle modification. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Wisconsin. 1975.
- The up–and–down method with small samples. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 1953, 48, 262–277. , , &
- Inhibition of startle response to acoustic stimulation produced by visual prestimulation. Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology, 1969, 67, 493–496. , , , &
- Components of HR response in anticipation of reaction lime and exercise tasks, Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1968: 76, 642–648. , , &
- A new technique for the investigation of some analgesic drugs on a reflexive behavior in the rat. Psychopharmacologica, 1961: 2, 318–325.
- A comparison of the analgetic potency of some analgesics us measured by the “flinch–jump” procedure. Psychopharmacologica, 1962, 3, 51–54.
- Adequate acoustic stimulus for startle reaction in the rat. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology, 1965, 60, 200–207.
- Central efferent processes and autonomic–behavioral integration. Psychophysiology, 1969, 6, 78–90.
- Spinal motor responses to acoustic stimulation. Experimental Neurology, 1964, 10, 52–66. , &
- Organization of afferent flow and the process of external signal discrimination. Neuropsychologia, 1965, 3, 95–109.
- Temporal organization of the auditorv function. In G. V, Gersuni (Ed.).Sensory processes at the neuronal and behavioral levels. New York : Academic Press, 1971: Pp. 85–114.
- Habituation and dishabituation of responses innervated by the autonomic nervous system. In H. V. S.Peeke & M. J.Herz, (Eds.), Habituation Behavioral studies and physiological substrates. New York ; Academic Press. 1973: Pp. 163–218.
- Arousal systems and infant heart rate responses. In H. W.Reese & L. P.Lipsitt (Eds.).Advances in child development and behavior. Vol. 5. New York : Academic Press. 1970: Pp, 59–117. , &
- Lead Stimulation effects on human cardiac orienting and blink reflexes. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception Performance, 1975: in press. , , &
- Differential heart rate changes to equally intense white noise and tone. Psychophysiology, 1973: 10, 347–362. , &
- Multiple component heart rate responses conditioned under paced respiration. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1969, 79, 486–494. , &
- Set and uncertainty as factors influencing anticipatory cardiovascular responding in humans. Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology, 1971: 74, 272–283.
- Startle reaction: Modification by background stimulation. Science. 1963, 141, 928–930. , &
- Startle reaction to electrical shock in the rat. Journal of parative Physiological Psychology, 1964, 58, 132–139. , &
- Persistence of background acoustic stimulation in controlling startle. Journal of Comparative of Physiological Psychology, 1969, 68, 280–283. , , &
- Acoustic and temporal factors in the evocation of startle. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 1968, 43, 269–282. , &
- Temporal parameters in startle facilitation by steady background signals. Journal of the Acoustical of America, 1969, 45, 7–12. , &
- Role of weak signals in acoustic startle. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 1970, 47, 489–497. , &
- Modification of the startle reflex in the nil by changes in the auditory and visual environment. Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology, 1971, 75, 435–452. , &
- Effects of auditory stimuli on the amplitude of the nictitating membrane reflex of the rabbit (oryctolagus coniculus). Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology, 1971, 75, 157–164. , &
- Latency and amplitude changes in (he acoustic startle reflex of the rat produced by variation in auditory prestimulation. Physiology Behavior. 1973, 10, 1035–1039. , &
- Reaction time as function of foreperiod duration and variability. Journal of Experimental Psychology. 1959, 58, 185–191.
- Excitability of the Orbicularis Ocult reflex in all night sleep: Its suppression in non–rapid eye movement and recovery in rapid eye movement sleep, Electroencephalography &Clinical Neurophysiology, 1972: 33, 369–377. , &
- Time uncertainty in simple reaction time. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1956, 51, 179–184.
- Inhibition of human eye blink by brief acoustic stimulus. Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology, 1973, 84, 246–251. , , &
- On the processing of simple visual and auditory stimuli at distinct levels. Perception Psychophysics, 1971, 9, 331–334.
- Experimental association and dissociation of phasic bradycardia and vertex–negative waves: A psychophysiological study of attention and response–intention. In W. C.MeCallum & J. R.Knott, (Eds.), Event–related slow potentials of the bruin: Their relations to behavior. New York : Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, 1973: Pp. 281–285. &
- The startle pattern, New-York : Farrar & Rinehart. 1939. , &
- Altered sensitivity to fool–shock und decreased brain content of serotonin following brain lesions in the rat. Journal of Comparative & Psychology, 1969, 67, 23–31. , &
- Detection and recognition of intensity changes in tone and noise: The detection–recognition disparity. Perception & Pschopysics, 1973, 13, 65–75.
- Temporal integration in the acoustic startle reflex of the rat. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology, 1973, 82, 507–511. , , &
- Preperceptual images. processing time, and perceptual units in auditory perception. Psychological Review, 1972, 79, 134–145.
- The diminishing time–uncertainty with the lapse of time after the warning signal in reaction–lime experiments with varying fore–periods. Acta Psychologica, 1970, 34, 199–419.
- Cognitive psychology, Englewood Cliffs , N. J. : Prentice–Hall. Inc. 1967.
- Heart rate and somatic changes during aversive conditioning and a simple reaction time task. Psychophysiology. 1969, 5, 696–723. , , &
- Reflex and voluntary reactions of the eyelid. Journal of General Psychology, 1933, 8, 130–156.
- Components of attention. Psychological Review, 1971, 78, 391–408. , &
- Cardiac orienting during “good” and “poor” differential eyelid conditioning. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1974: 102, 563–573. , , &
- Modification of the rat's startle reaction by an antecedent change in the acoustic environment. Journal of Comparative Physiological Psychology. 1974, 86, 826–836. , , , &
- Elicitability of the acoustic startle reaction after brain stem lesions. Acta Physiologica. Academy of Science. Hungary, 1965, 27, 155–165. , &
- Contingent negative variation (CNV) and psychological processes in man. Psychological Bulletin. 1972, 77, 73–108.