This study was supported in part by PHS Grant MH 21270-01 from the National Institute of Mental Health, the University of California, Irvine, and by the Department of the Navy, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, under Work Unit MF51.524.004-2007DA5G. The views presented in this paper are those of the authors. No endorsement by the Department of the Navy has been given or should be inferred.
Performance and Mood During and After Gradual Sleep Reduction
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2007
Volume 14, Issue 3, pages 245–250, May 1977
How to Cite
Friedmann, J., Globus, G., Huntley, A., Mullaney, D., Naitoh, P. and Johnson, L. (1977), Performance and Mood During and After Gradual Sleep Reduction. Psychophysiology, 14: 245–250. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8986.1977.tb01169.x
The authors thank Julie Moses, Ardie Lubin, and the technical staff of the Naval Health Research Center; Gary Kiker and Jim Humphries of the University of California, Irvine, for their technical assistance.
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2007
- (Manuscript received July 15, 1976; revision received December 9, 1976; accepted for publication December 14, 1976)
- Sleep as a biological adaptive process. In U. J.Jovanovic, (Ed.), The nature of sleep. Stuttgart , W. Germany : Fischer, 1973. Pp. 252–255. , , &
- A diallel analysis of the genetic underpinnings of mouse sleep. Physiology & Behavior, 1974, 12, 169–175.
- Genetic determinants of the sleep response. Psychophysiology, 1970, 6, 272. (Abstract). , &
- A syndrome associated with sleeping late. Psychosomatic Medicine, 1969, 31, 528–535.
- Rhythmic functions during sleep. International Psychiatry Clinics, 1970, 7, 15–21. (a).
- Sleep duration and feeling state. International Psychiatry Clinics, 1970, 7, 78–84. (b).
- Autorhythmometry-procedures for chronophysiologic self-measurements and their analysis. Physiology Teacher, 1972, 1, 14–17. , , , , &
- A study of four days partial sleep deprivation. In W. P.Colquhoun, (Ed.), Aspects of human efficiency. London : English Universities Press, 1972. Pp. 101–113. , , &
- Psychological differences between long and short sleepers. Archives of General Psychiatry, 1972, 26, 463–468. , , &
- Quantification of sleepiness: A new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10, 431–436. , , , , &
- The effect of total, partial, and stage sleep deprivation on EEG patterns and performance. In N.Burch & H. L.Altschuler, (Eds.), Behavior and brain electrical activity. New York : Plenum, 1975. Pp. 1–30.
- Sleep and awake behavior during gradual sleep reduction. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 1973, 36, 87–97. , &
- The operational consequences of sleep deprivation and sleep deficit. NATO AGARDograph No. 193, 1974, 52p. , &
- Two cases of healthy insomnia. Electroencephalography & Clinical Neurophysiology, 1968, 24, 378–380. , &
- Sleep of hospital medical staff. Lancet, 1965, 1, 41–42.
- On the function of sleep. Animal Behavior, 1975, 23, 676–691.
- An extreme case of healthy insomnia. Electroencephalography & Clinical Neurophysiology, 1973, 35, 213–214. , , &
- Sleep deprivation and personality adjustment. In L. E.Abt & B. F.Riess, (Eds.), Progress in clinical psychology. Vol. 8. New York : Grune & Stratton, 1969. Pp. 44–62.
- The development and validation of a checklist for measuring subjective fatigue (Rep. 56–115). Air University, School of Aviation Medicine, USAF, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, 1956. , &
- The effect of different preparations on film-induced anxiety. Psychological Record, 1967, 17, 35–41. , , &
- Extended sleep and performance: The Rip Van Winkle effect. Psychonomic Science, 1969, 16, 204–205. , &
- Extended sleep and performance. Nature, 1971, 233, 142–143. , , , &
- Sleep behaviour as a biorhythm. In W. P.Colquhoun, (Ed.), Biological rhythms and human performance. London : Academic Press, 1971. Pp. 149–177.
- Patterns of sleep behaviour. In W. P.Colquhoun, (Ed.), Aspects of human efficiency. London : English Universities Press, 1972. Pp. 31–46.
- Sleep as an adaptive response. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 1974, 38, 1023–1027.
- Sleep: Effects of a restricted regime. Science, 1965, 150, 1745–1747. , &
- The effects of a chronic limitation of sleep length. Psychophysiology, 1974, 11, 265–274. , &
- Sleep stage and personality characteristics of “natural” long and short sleepers. Science, 1971, 171, 587–588. , &
- Sleep deprivation: Performance tests for partial and selective sleep deprivation. In L. E.Abt & B. F.Riess, (Eds.), Progress in clinical psychology. Vol. 8. New York : Grune & Stratton, 1969. Pp. 28–43.
- Methods for research on sleep deprivation and sleep function. International Psychiatry Clinics, 1970, 7, 369–382.
- Performance following a night of reduced sleep. Psychonomic Science, 1966, 5, 471–472. , , &
- Nocturnal EEG profiles and performance. Psychophysiology, 1966, 3, 164–175. , &