Ian Scoones, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RE, UK. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobilizing Against GM Crops in India, South Africa and Brazil
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2008
© 2008 The Author. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Agrarian Change
Volume 8, Issue 2-3, pages 315–344, April 2008
How to Cite
SCOONES, I. (2008), Mobilizing Against GM Crops in India, South Africa and Brazil. Journal of Agrarian Change, 8: 315–344. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0366.2008.00172.x
The research for this paper was supported by the IDS-hosted Development Research Centre on Citizenship, Participation and Accountability, the full results of which are presented in Scoones (2005b). Early background research assistance for this project was provided by Aaron DeGrassi. I am most grateful to the many people in all three countries who were prepared to discuss their experiences. I would also like to thank the four reviewers for their comments.
- Issue online: 25 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2008
- ActionAid, 2000. Indian Farmers Judge GM Crops. ActionAid Citizens’ Jury Initiative. London: ActionAid.
- AgBioIndia, 2002. ‘Demand for Monsanto's Ouster Picks Up: Karnataka Bans Monsanto's Bt Cotton Seeds’. 11 August. http://ngin.tripod.com/110802b.htm, Accessed 4 February 2008.
- 2000. ‘Grassroots Globalization and the Research Imagination’. Public Culture, 12 (1): 1–19. ,
- 2002. ‘Globalisation and the State: Interrogating the Farmers’ Movement in India’. Journal of Social and Economic Development, 4 (1): 42–54. ,
- 2000. Elite Transition: From Apartheid to Neoliberalism in South Africa. Durban: Natal University Press. ,
- Brass, T., ed., 1995. New Farmers’ Movements in India. London: Routledge.
- Business Day, 2003. ‘Biowatch SA Says Modified Organisms Need Regulation’. 20 August. Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Business Day, 2004. ‘Open Wide for GM Bite’. 6 February. Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Business Line, 2000. ‘MNC Seed Interest vs Farmers’ Plight’. 26 September. Chennai, India.
- 1997. The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture; Volume 2: The Power of Identity. Malden, MA: Blackwell. ,
- 2005. ‘An Overview of the Current State of Agricultural Biotechnology in Brazil’. Paper presented at Science, Technology and Globalization Project, Agricultural Biotechnology for Development – Socioeconomic Issues and Institutional Challenges, Bella Villagio, Bellagio Italy, May–June 2005. Belfer Center, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard. and ,
- Deccan Herald, 1998. ‘KRRS to File Criminal Case Against Monsanto’. 18 December. Bangalore, India.
- Dow Jones, 2000. ‘Brazil Government Fights Back Against Anti-GMO Court Ruling’. 10 July. New York, USA.
- Dow Jones, 2001. ‘GMO Soy Planting in Brazil Said to Be Spreading North’. 18 December. New York, USA.
- Economic Times, 1999. ‘Monsanto Proposal to Genetically Alter Rice Draws Flak’. 6 August. New Delhi, India.
- Economic Times, 2001. ‘KRRS Opposed Commercial Release of Bt Cotton Seeds’. 20 June. New Delhi, India.
- 2001. ‘Social Movements: Changing Paradigms and Forms of Politics’. Annual Review of Anthropology, 30: 285–317. ,
- 1997. ‘Towards a New Social Politics: Citizenship and Reflexivity in Late Modernity’. Sociology, 31 (4): 697–717. ,
- Financial Express, 1999. ‘Farmers Support Biotech Use for Increasing Yield – Monsanto Study’. 31 August. New Delhi, India.
- Financial Express, 2000. ‘Farmer Leader Pleads for Immediate Release of GM Crops in India’. 24 April. New Delhi, India.
- Financial Times, 2001. ‘Brazil Police Add to Bové's Radical Status – Anti-Globalisation Activist’. 31 January. London, UK.
- Financial Times, 2004. ‘Monsanto Takes GM Crusade to Brazil’. 6 February. New York, USA.
- 2004. ‘Converging Networks and Clashing Stories: South Africa's Agricultural Biotechnology Debate’. Africa Today, 51 (2): 3–25. and ,
- 2007. ‘The Role of the Private Sector in Modern Biotechnology and Rural Development: The Case of the Monsanto Smallholder Programme’. DPhil thesis, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex. ,
- 2000. ‘Economic Policy and Power Relations in South Africa's Transition to Democracy’. World Development, 28 (2): 245–63. and ,
- 1995. The Politics of Environmental Discourse: Ecological Modernization and the Policy Process. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ,
- 2001. ‘Moving the State: the Politics of Democratic Decentralization in Kerala, South Africa and Porto Alegre’. Politics and Society, 29 (1): 131–63. ,
- 2005. ‘Miracle Seeds, Suicide Seeds, and the Poor: Mobilizing Around Genetically Modified Organisms in India’. In Social Movements and Poverty in India, eds R.Ray and M.F.Katzenstein, 203–32. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield Publishing Group. ,
- 2007. ‘Stealth Seeds: Bioproperty, Biosafety, Biopolitics’. Journal of Development Studies, 43 (1): 130–57. ,
- 2002. ‘Plant Biotechnology in China’. Science, 295: 674–77. , , and ,
- 2002. ‘Globalization and Brazilian Biosafety: the Politics of Scale over Biotechnology Governance’. Political Geography, 21 (7): 905–25. ,
- 2003. ‘Land and Livelihoods: The Politics of Land Reform in Southern Africa’. IDS Bulletin, 34 (3): 54–63. ,
- 2007. ‘Mobilising Citizens. Social Movements and the Politics of Knowledge’. IDS Working Paper 276. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. and ,
- 2003. Politics in South Africa: From Mandela to Mbeki. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. ,
- Mail and Guardian, 2000. ‘SA Receives Bulk Shipments of Frankenfoods’. 25 February. Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2003. ‘Dynamics of Contention’. Social Movement Studies, 2 (1): 99–102. , and ,
- Mercury, 2003. ‘Government Hands Out Free GE Seeds in South Africa’. 27 August. Durban, KwaZulu, South Africa.
- Nature, 2000. ‘Smugglers Aim to Circumvent GM Court Ban in Brazil’. 25 November. London, UK.
- New York Times, 2003. ‘Monsanto Pursues Seed Pirates’. 13 June. New York, USA.
- 1998. ‘Terminating Choice’. The Hindu, December 26. Chennai, India. ,
- 2000. ‘The Global Food Fight’. Foreign Affairs, 79 (3): 24–38. ,
- 2001. The Politics of Precaution: Genetically Modified Crops in Developing Countries. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins Press. ,
- 2004. ‘Shining India? Economic Liberalisation and Rural Poverty in the 1990s’. Food First Policy Brief 10. Oakland: Food First. and ,
- 2002. ‘Prajateerpu: A Citizens’ Jury/Scenario Workshop on Food and Farming Futures for Andhra Pradesh, India’. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies and London: International Institute for Environment and Development. http://www.diversefoodsystems.org/lfs_docs/Prajateerpu.pdf, Accessed 4 February 2008. and ,
- Ray, R. and M.F.Katzenstein, eds, 2005. Social Movements and Poverty in India. Lanham, MD: Rowan and Littlefield Publishing Group.
- Reuters, 2000a. ‘Brazil Turns Away GM Argentine Corn’. 6 June. New York, USA.
- Reuters, 2000b. ‘Greenpeace Protest for Argentine GM Food Labels’. 20 July. New York, USA.
- Reuters, 2003a. ‘Brazil Lula Says Legalizing GM Soy Was Best Option’. 8 October. New York, USA.
- Reuters, 2003b. ‘Monsanto Invests to Improve GMOs’ Image in Brazil’. 8 December. New York, USA.
- RFSTE (Research Foundation of Science, Technology and Ecology), 1998. ‘Indians Fight Biotechnology Giants: Implement “Operate Cremate Monsanto”’. Monsanto Quit India Campaign Press Release. RDFTE: New Delhi.
- 2001. ‘Redoing the Constitutional Design: From an Interventionist to a Regulatory State’. In The Success of India's Democracy, ed. A.Kohli, 127–62. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. and ,
- Samykta Karnataka, 1998. ‘Police Protection to all American Companies in Bangalore City’. 25 November. Bangalore, India.
- 2005a. Science, Agriculture and the Politics of Policy. The Case of Biotechnology in India. Hyderabad: Orient Longman. ,
- 2005b. ‘Contentious Politics, Contentious Knowledges: Mobilising Against GM Crops in India, Brazil and South Africa’. IDS Working Paper 256. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. ,
- 2007. ‘The Contested Politics of Technology: Biotech in Bangalore’. Science and Public Policy, 34 (4): 261–71. ,
- 2005. ‘Local and Global Elites Join Hands: Development and Diffusion of Bt Cotton Technology in Gujarat’. Economic and Political Weekly (Special Articles), 40 (43): 4629–39. ,
- 1998. ‘Terminating Freedom’. The Hindu, 26 December. Chennai, India. ,
- 1999. ‘Globalization and Threat to Seed Security: Case of Transgenic Cotton Trials in India’. Economic and Political Weekly, 34 (10): 601–13. , and ,
- 2000. Seeds of Suicide: The Ecological and Human Costs of Globalization of Agriculture. Delhi: Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Ecology. , , and ,
- 2007. ‘Agricultural Deskilling and the Spread of Genetically Modified Cotton in Warangal’. Current Anthropology, 48: 67–103. ,
- 2003. ‘Monsanto's Claims are Uninformed’. Times of India, 12 March. New Delhi, India. ,
- The Guardian, 2001. ‘Jury Delivers “No” Verdict to GM Crops in Brazil’. 23 May. London, UK.
- The Guardian, 2002. ‘Brazil's Farms Minister Supports Gene-Modified Crops’. 17 December. London, UK.
- The Hindu, 1999. ‘Monsanto Turns to Food Crops’. 6 August. Chennai, India.
- 2003. ‘Can GM Technologies Help the Poor? The Impact of BT Cotton in Makhathini Flats, KawZulu-Natal’. World Development, 31: 717–32. , , and ,
- Times of India, 1998. ‘Monsanto Trials Illegal, Says Environmentalist’. 21 December. New Delhi, India.
- 2001. ‘Poor Citizens Decide on the Introduction of GMOs in Brazil’. Biotechnology and Development Monitor, 47: 7–9. and ,
- 2002. A Summary of Research on the Environmental Impact of Bt cotton in China. Nanjing: Greenpeace/Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences. ,