What is already known on this subject:
Female genital appearance: ‘normality’ unfolds
Article first published online: 17 DEC 2004
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 112, Issue 5, pages 643–646, May 2005
How to Cite
Lloyd, J., Crouch, N. S., Minto, C. L., Liao, L.-M. and Creighton, S. M. (2005), Female genital appearance: ‘normality’ unfolds. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 112: 643–646. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2004.00517.x
Very few studies are available in the literature on the range of measurements of female genitalia. Recent studies have found that the clitoris is more extensive than previously thought. Genital surgery is known to cause problems with sexual function.
What this study adds:
This study illustrates the wide range of genital dimensions in normal women. This information can be considered by women and doctors when making the decision to havegenital surgery.
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 17 DEC 2004
- 1Femalia, 1st edition. San Francisco: Down There Press, 1993..
- 2Rankin and Bailey Down Under. Camden, London: Proud Gallery, 2003., .
- 3Pickering PickT, HowdenR, editors. Anatomy: Descriptive and Surgical, 15th edition. London: Longmans Green and Co. 1901.. In:
- 4LewisWH, editor. Anatomy of the Human Body, 24th edition. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1942.. In:
- 5Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students, 3rd edition. London: Little, Brown and Co. 1986..
- 6Grays Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Medicine and Surgery, 38th edition. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1996..
- 17Harnrohrencapacitat und Tripperspritzen Munch Med Woechenschr 1899;46: 1016..